• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    In this year's Military Surplus magazine, there's a funny story about WWI U.S. production of Mosins for Russia.

The Russians approached Remington for a contract of 1 million M91 rifles just as Remington were finishing up a contract of British 1914 rifles. The Russians sent a bunch (1,500) of inspectors to "oversee" this production, and it was apparently a nightmare. The plans, models, and gauges they got from the Russians all differed from each other and instead of a projected 2,000 rifles a day, they were turning out just 125.

So the funny story goes that one of these inspectors wore full attire each day: fur hat, flowing red coat, red leather boots, crossed bandoliers, and a gold-sheathed scabbard. The workers at the plant named him "Alexander the Great"

He drove the workers mad with his inspections because he had some crazy fear of accidental discharges caused by jars or shocks. He used loaded rifles with live ammo for this test, inside the factory.

He took each finished rifle and slammed the hell out of it, breaking several stocks in the process. He never got one to discharge.

One day, the workers decided to play a prank on him, so they filed down the sear on one of the rifles so that it would barely engage.

He loaded the rifle and proceeded to slam the butt down on the concrete, and this time it fired. The bullet whizzed by his head and hit a large 4-inch high-pressure water line over his head, spraying him in the face with so much force that it knocked him off his feet as everyone else stood around and laughed.

This story comes from Harold Leslie Peterson in The Remington Historical Treasury of American Guns

Had to share that one... And I highly suggest you pick up this magazine, I got mine at Wal Mart.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Funny story! And it doesn't surprise me after reading how Remington suffered at the hands of British, French and Russian "in-house" inspectors during those years as they built P14s, Berthiers and M91s for governments that were desperate to replace massive arms losses. Of these the Russians were said to be the worst. Makes you wonder just what they were doing there in the first place.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Someone needs to play that 'joke' on a gun-grabbing politician today who truly believes that an inanimate object can pull its own trigger ... with similar results. :rolleyes:

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    You would think "Alexander" would have become suspicious when everyone else in the factory took cover when he applied his "slam dance" to one particular rifle.

:D

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Funny story! And it doesn't surprise me after reading how Remington suffered at the hands of British, French and Russian "in-house" inspectors during those years as they built P14s, Berthiers and M91s for governments that were desperate to replace massive arms losses. Of these the Russians were said to be the worst. Makes you wonder just what they were doing there in the first place.

Colt suffered the same sort of thing ... but with their own people. At one point, a U.S. Gov't. contract that came through Springfield specified very rigid specs for the 1911A1. Springfield made a series of test gauges, then sent them to Colt. It turned out that very few of the guns already produced over the years would pass with the new gauges, so Colt made their own set--ones that worked on the guns that they'd been making the same way for years.

If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Colt suffered the same sort of thing ... but with their own people. At one point, a U.S. Gov't. contract that came through Springfield specified very rigid specs for the 1911A1. Springfield made a series of test gauges, then sent them to Colt. It turned out that very few of the guns already produced over the years would pass with the new gauges, so Colt made their own set--ones that worked on the guns that they'd been making the same way for years.

If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river.

From some recent reading I've been doing, sounds like Springfield had some shady people back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom