• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    I am wondering what legal options in MD I have for a semi-auto rifle in this caliber. So far, the only rifles I have seen are the mini-30, sig 556r, and vz.

are there any other options? mini-30 seems like a decent option but I don't like the way the optics mount on the gun and it seems a little pricey for what it is.

price for the sig also is high for me.

is the best option the vz? any other semi auto rifles in 7.62x39?

thanks

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not that I'd necessarily recommend it over the three you've mentioned, but I believe the RRA LAR-47 is still legal as it's receiver is distinctly different from an AR-15.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am wondering what legal options in MD I have for a semi-auto rifle in this caliber. So far, the only rifles I have seen are the mini-30, sig 556r, and vz.
    If you can wait another few months, the PTR-32 GenII is supposed to be coming out. I don't think any reasonable person could call it a clone of the PTR-91. But it's probably going to be at the 556R price point.

are there any other options? mini-30 seems like a decent option but I don't like the way the optics mount on the gun and it seems a little pricey for what it is.
    IMHO, it's the worst option of the three.

price for the sig also is high for me.
    You're getting what you pay for with the Sig. The Sig 556xi in 7.62x39 blows away any AK.

is the best option the vz? any other semi auto rifles in 7.62x39?
    I like the SKS suggestion, but remember that detachable mags are no longer cool for it in MD. Otherwise, get a Vz58 or Vz2008.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    mini-30 seems like a decent option but I don't like the way the optics mount on the gun and it seems a little pricey for what it is.

Ruger has jacked up the price every year and they don't shoot the cheap steel cased ammo worth a shoot. Despite that, I'd still like to have one. I expect to move to a gun friendly state in the near future so maybe I'll settle for an AK.

At one time SKS's were $100 and my gun club raffled them as door prizes at club meetings.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I like the Sig 556xi. The cost to change handguards and add rails normally adds up to the rifles costing about the same. If you plan to keep the cz 2008 the same you can make out better. I hear those vz hand guards heat up quick. The Remington 799 clone is being imported now as a Zastava M85 mini Mauser.

JoshA

Jul 26, 2013
    Severna Park
    Not that I'd necessarily recommend it over the three you've mentioned, but I believe the RRA LAR-47 is still legal as it's receiver is distinctly different from an AR-15.

Still vapor ware afaik. Michael's Machine has stated on arfcom that they have resumed production of their version and have some available.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Sig556r's are still MD legal? I mentally flushed them post Oct. 1 without really doing the research.

Gundahar

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Sig556r's are still MD legal?

They are. But are now either out of production or will be soon (depending on who you listen to) w/ the 556xi here. Though the 7.62x39 & 300blk native versions of the xi are not out yet. Only the 5.56.

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    If you can wait another few months, the PTR-32 GenII is supposed to be coming out. I don't think any reasonable person could call it a clone of the PTR-91. But it's probably going to be at the 556R price point.

Wow, I really like the look of the ptr guns. Are they planning on making the 32 gen 2 any lighter though? If it's a good gun I wouldn't mind the extra weight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wow, I really like the look of the ptr guns. Are they planning on making the 32 gen 2 any lighter though? If it's a good gun I wouldn't mind the extra weight.
    I've heard they're trying to lighten it up a bit, but I would not count on it being that much lighter. There's really only so much you can do with those all-steel guns. My gut feeling is that the lightest config would be an SBR of some sort using a PDW base gun.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I like the Sig 556xi. The cost to change handguards and add rails normally adds up to the rifles costing about the same. If you plan to keep the cz 2008 the same you can make out better. I hear those vz hand guards heat up quick. The Remington 799 clone is being imported now as a Zastava M85 mini Mauser.

Has anyone actually seen one in x39 - in the flesh?

JMoon

Feb 22, 2014
    ok, so I guess I've narrowed my options to the upcoming PTR 32 Gen 2, Sig, or VZ. I really wish I could just get an AK.

Is the idea behind the 556xi Russian to allow for interchanging of calibers on the same system? is it an actual upgrade to the performance of the 556R?

I've seen a couple VZs on the forum that have the fixed wood stock, but the rifle doesn't appear to come like that. How much does it cost to change the folding stock out? Are AK stocks compatible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom