• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    TLDR: I bought a DA/SA hammer fired. Should I trade it for striker fired?

I bought a Beretta PX4 9mm just to get a pistol before the 1 Oct laws.
    Long, heavy DA pull, followed by short, light, hair-trigger SA pulls.

The long DA pull was OK, but the SA trigger kind of gives me the creeps, it's so easy.

I don't like the sights much, it's the 'combat sight picture' which means that unlike the 6 o'clock picture, you have to cover your target with the front sight dot. If I aim high, I'm accurate enough with it. I can hit an 8" plate every time at 25'. The bad guy would not be happy.

I did like that the first DA pull was so heavy that I can not imagine an accidental discharge with the first shot. The second shot I took with this gun was of course a SA (automatically cocked) shot, and I would have to classify that shot as a negligent discharge. It still hit the target, but only because I was aiming at it after the first shot. SA on this gun is extremely light.

I am a pistol noob, and I never realized that with a DA/SA gun, you should decock the gun every time whenever you are not aiming to shoot something. I'm flipping switches on this thing all the time, and re-checking the hammer and safety to ensure it is safe when I step away from the firing line.

I just rented a Ruger SR9. I think it's sort of a noob's striker fired gun. It's got a loaded chamber indicator and an actual thumb safety. The trigger felt light, but not hair trigger. It has a really short reset that I could feel. I shot 4" groups at 25'. The fact that it was always loaded, always cocked also gave me the creeps. But, this gun is much simpler. The trigger is the same for all shots, and I don't have to flip switches all the time.

I'm considering taking a bit of a loss, and selling the Beretta and buying a striker fired gun. Probably the Ruger SR9 or maybe the S&W M&P with the thumb safety.

If so, I have to do this in the next few days.

Last edited:

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I just think your a little uncomfortable, because Im assuming your new to shooting handguns. Px4 don't have hair triggers :D. It's a little too late to do anything before Oct 1. You should just buy another gun thats DA only later on. Just curious how many rounds have you fired through the gun so far?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Look at a Springfield XDs available in .45 or 9mm. Striker fired, built in grip and trigger safeties with no need to actually manipulate a "manual" safety, and a very smooth trigger. Some of them have been recalled - but don't let that scare you aware even if you can't get one before Oct. 1 that isn't subject to a recall. Buy it before Oct. 1, if you can find one, and send it back in if necessary.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    " I'm flipping switches on this thing all the time, and re-checking the hammer and safety to ensure it is safe when I step away from the firing line"

Drop the mag, open and lock the slide back, ensure empty pistol when leaving the firing line...with any pistol. Period.

As far as the rest of it goes, you are finding your comfort zone with manual of arms for different pistols. As with any pistol or firearm the best safety is between the ears. One needs to invest in the time and training then practice, practice and practice some more the manual of arms with snap caps and during range use so it becomes highly ingrained. Striker fired pistols are very safe with a chambered round without the need for manual safeties, just like a DA revolver. I don't see safety switches on the DA revolver, which is accepted as a very safe, user friendly firearm. Same principle, safety is built into the mechanism with expectation the operator understands the manual of arms and practices safe gun handling. Attend a three gun match and see how a handgun is bunkered during transistion to a long gun. All are safe and handled safely.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I enjoy shooting my M&p Pro the non safety version. I'm not a fan of safeties other than finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot. The thing with handguns is everybody like different things so you can find a gun that your comfortable with. Im always searching for a lighter trigger pull.

Try a Glock and you can get a NY trigger in it for a heavy trigger pull. FNH FNS handgun is striker fired comes with a safety like the Ruger 9 and three mags. If you have the money H&K p30 Lem version has a consistent trigger DA pull. There are options the hard part will be getting the gun you want in time unless its already in stock.

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    I just think your a little uncomfortable, because Im assuming your new to shooting handguns. Px4 don't have hair triggers :D. It's a little too late to do anything before Oct 1. You should just buy another gun thats DA only later on. Just curious how many rounds have you fired through the gun so far?

Yep, I'm more used to shotguns. Busting clays. I only bought a handgun because the governor doesn't want me to have one.

Fortunately, I follow the 4 big safety rules. A couple of times with the new gun I was surprised to note that the gun was cocked when I did not expect it to be. (After reloads, and re-racks and such. I know this sounds stupid, but that first time at the range I did not expect the gun to rack into a cocked position when reracking or setting a new mag) I now know how this gun works and am no longer surprised. It just never occurred to me how much I would be decocking. I find myself decocking this thing all the time. Which I guess is a normal habit for those with this type of gun.

I've been to the range twice with the PX4. I shot about 250 rounds each time. I am getting more used to it by dry firing at the TV, decocking, shooting the TV in DA , decock, backing away for a sandwich, un-safe, DA shoot the TV again, decock, etc... (I recommend 'America's Top Models' - smaller targets.)

I could totally get used to this DA/SA gun and be happy with it. I'm just second guessing now about the striker fired. It's Sept 15th, and with some dealer's doing 8th day releases, I only have a few days to move on to something else.

I just got my Designated Collector letter, so in theory I could buy a couple hundred pistols and dozens of AR lowers this week. Of course, then my wife would shoot me with the Beretta.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Dry firing with striker fired handguns is not as convenient. You have to manually rack the slide every time before pulling the trigger again. It does sound like you enjoying the px4. I think you just want to buy another handgun. This stuff gets addicting really fast lol. If I could I would though. My last pick up before Oct is the 28th and I'm out of money now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You are giving me a wide open setup here. You need a DA revolver. Consistant DA pull every time , unless you make specific decision to thumb cock for a particular shot. ( Yes , I am serious ).

But alas , everyone think they need a high-cap semi.

Right now you don't know enough to realize what you do/ don't know , much less what know what you prefer. And in the pre Oct 1 world , you only have a cpl days to deal with this.

Since you have DC , if you have the money/ available credit , go imeadatly buy a striker semi , SA semi , and DA rev. Heck , a traditional DAO semi while you're at it. Make one a rimfire , make one deer capable for diversity.

Short of that tune out these responses , and just flip a coin. Whichever flavor get selected , it is a viable choice , and we can help you eventually get comfortable with it , if not master it.

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    You are giving me a wide open setup here. You need a DA revolver. Consistant DA pull every time , unless you make specific decision to thumb cock for a particular shot. ( Yes , I am serious ).

But alas , everyone think they need a high-cap semi.

Right now you don't know enough to realize what you do/ don't know , much less what know what you prefer. And in the pre Oct 1 world , you only have a cpl days to deal with this.

Since you have DC , if you have the money/ available credit , go imeadatly buy a striker semi , SA semi , and DA rev. Heck , a traditional DAO semi while you're at it. Make one a rimfire , make one deer capable for diversity.

Short of that tune out these responses , and just flip a coin. Whichever flavor get selected , it is a viable choice , and we can help you eventually get comfortable with it , if not master it.

All good advice, except I think you missed the part about my wife shooting me with the Beretta.

Actually, when I got my gun, my wife got a Ruger SP101 .357 with the 4.2" barrel. It took me 2 months to find it with that barrel. She was not interested in slides and mags and all that, but I wanted her to have a 'point and shoot' pistol before 1 Oct.

Last edited:

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County

This!! Listen to the guy with the most post they normally know what they are talking about. You need other handguns not just for you, but for the wife also. :)

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    hammer guns

I have a couple of hammer guns- the Beretta 92 and a CZ 75, and I also have the SR9 and an XdM.
    My general preference has been for the hammer fired guns (which I never shoot DA), but lately the XdM has become a favorite. I like the SR9 but would rank it behind the XdM and the CZ.
    I think that you will do fine with the SR9, it all boils down to personal preference.
    Also 1 OCT is not the end of the world for any of these fire arms. They should all eventually be available (albeit with10 round mags), and probably with lower prices than these present chaotic times.
    DocAitch

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm a little confused, who told you that you had to de-cock the single action when you weren't actively shooting it? You don't have to do that. The hammer isn't going to just fall without you pulling the trigger. There's no need to be worried about it so long as you keep your finger off the trigger, especially if you're going to use the safety. Plenty of folks carry 1911s locked and cocked.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some of the discussion in this thread is giving me the willies. I don't mean to offensive but there it is.

Rushing out to buy another handgun probably isn't prudent at this point in time. Discussion about balance and point is being decided without proficiency in safe handling. Then the discussion to buy for the spouse with the same deficiency in handling and understanding. Just adds to the apparent confusion of handling the handgun - any handgun at this point.

Not insulting anyone here but professional instruction is needed here. Then intelligent choices may be made. Trying to beat October 1st isn't going to solve anything.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I don't think a striker fire is what you want. As mentioned, you want DAO. My preferred trigger is the H&K LEM, which is DAO, but with a light pull and fairly short reset. No safety, but I am comfortable to carry loaded and hammer down, and light trigger pull allows for accuracy on first (most important) shot.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Some of the discussion in this thread is giving me the willies. I don't mean to offensive but there it is.

Rushing out to buy another handgun probably isn't prudent at this point in time. Discussion about balance and point is being decided without proficiency in safe handling. Then the discussion to buy for the spouse with the same deficiency in handling and understanding. Just adds to the apparent confusion of handling the handgun - any handgun at this point.

Not insulting anyone here but professional instruction is needed here. Then intelligent choices may be made. Trying to beat October 1st isn't going to solve anything.

I completely agree. This thread is scaring me. "head on a swivel at the elk neck range" willies.......

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You are giving me a wide open setup here. You need a DA revolver. Consistant DA pull every time , unless you make specific decision to thumb cock for a particular shot. ( Yes , I am serious ). But alas , everyone think they need a high-cap semi.

+!
    ...And I think you're right...if it wasn't for the higher capacity mags being available and semi-auto's appearing in all the movie shootouts, I think more people would be inclined to purchase revolvers. I also think most occasional users who really just want a home defense firearm but will only rarely go to the range are best served by a revolver. But, then again, it's just my 2 cents. By way of disclosure, I own revolvers, semi's and break action (T/C's) handguns. Among my semi's are double action, single action (1911s) and striker fired handguns. However, my favorite guns are all revolvers with the 1911's coming in close behind. Oh, yeah....some us feel like we shoot better with fairly light triggers as long as they're pretty crisp and consistent.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'm a little confused, who told you that you had to de-cock the single action when you weren't actively shooting it? You don't have to do that. The hammer isn't going to just fall without you pulling the trigger. There's no need to be worried about it so long as you keep your finger off the trigger, especially if you're going to use the safety. Plenty of folks carry 1911s locked and cocked.

Same here. I own the PX4, and the only time I'd be using the de-cock is when I want to put it in the ready duty safe with a round in the chamber. If you are going to go to the trouble to rack a round it should be because you are ready to shoot it. Lots of people carry cocked and locked, but then you have to remember to take the safety off. I prefer not to have to remember that in an emergency SHTF situation.

I have noticed the SA on the PX4 does seem significantly lighter than some of the DA/SA pistols I have, and on one occasion, I too had a negligent discharge on the range. If you are at a range and the range goes cold, you darn sure better have completely safed the pistol by removing the mag and any chambered round and have the slide locked open, preferably with an empty chamber flag in the chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom