• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go for target or competition in the Richmond area? I mostly shoot handgun, but will be getting a .22lr bolt gun in the near future.

Mostly, I do informal target practice, but I really like to shoot steel. I'm relatively new to competition, so I would stick to the informal stuff for now.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you want the real thing, just hang out around the intersection of 301 and Hull Street Rd around 1am. :lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now exactly what do you know about 301 & Hull? :innocent0

Me thinks there's a story there! :lol2:

Went to school in virginia and made the mistake of driving through there before discovering the joys of the Powhite Pkwy dumping me out out by Woodlake, which at the time was the frontier of the Richmond metro area.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Where in Richmond are you?

Henrico, just south of exit 183 on 64. I'm not actually there yet, but will be soon.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I had found Black Creek in an earlier search, but there were no real outdoor target shooting opportunities for handguns. All of the state parks seem to be rifle only. There are a couple of indoor ranges, but I like the great outdoors.

Black Creek seems to be very active, so that would easily keep me occupied.

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA
    Wish I had seen this before I got home from the mainland today. OpenCarry.org just had a meet-up last night in Richmond. Great food, great discussion. Lots of people from the Greater Richmond area.

Here's the OpenCarry.org website for Virginia. Whatever you choose to do, as far as carry, be it OC, CC, or noC, these people are a wealth of information, as far as your rights, where to shoot, where -not- to go, and where to find some good food!
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia

Like I said, I just made it to the Sept. OC dinner, first one I've been to, but it was worth it. Even would be worth making a special trip across the bay each month to meet up with everyone. Lots of characters, and the safest meal you'll have in your life.

I'm Kotyaer on there as well. All of the members that I met last night are great folks, but some on the forums can be a little... Rough with their words, if they think you're being a little dumb.

A few are instructors, many are well versed in the law. They know tons of places to shoot, and the good/bad about each of 'em.

Anyway, hope to see you on there, and maybe at a dinner. Next one in the area is Saturday, for a VCDL (another wonderful organization you should think about supporting. www.vcdl.org ) picnic in Newport News. You don't have to OC or CC for any of these events.

Stay safe.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Wish I had seen this before I got home from the mainland today. OpenCarry.org just had a meet-up last night in Richmond. Great food, great discussion. Lots of people from the Greater Richmond area.

Here's the OpenCarry.org website for Virginia. Whatever you choose to do, as far as carry, be it OC, CC, or noC, these people are a wealth of information, as far as your rights, where to shoot, where -not- to go, and where to find some good food!
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia

Like I said, I just made it to the Sept. OC dinner, first one I've been to, but it was worth it. Even would be worth making a special trip across the bay each month to meet up with everyone. Lots of characters, and the safest meal you'll have in your life.

I'm Kotyaer on there as well. All of the members that I met last night are great folks, but some on the forums can be a little... Rough with their words, if they think you're being a little dumb.

A few are instructors, many are well versed in the law. They know tons of places to shoot, and the good/bad about each of 'em.

Anyway, hope to see you on there, and maybe at a dinner. Next one in the area is Saturday, for a VCDL (another wonderful organization you should think about supporting. www.vcdl.org ) picnic in Newport News. You don't have to OC or CC for any of these events.

Stay safe.

Glad you could join us last night. I think everyone went home fat and happy.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I had found Black Creek in an earlier search, but there were no real outdoor target shooting opportunities for handguns. All of the state parks seem to be rifle only. There are a couple of indoor ranges, but I like the great outdoors.

Black Creek seems to be very active, so that would easily keep me occupied.

Black Creek is super. They have a small IDPA match nearly every Wed afternoon . They also have an all steel pistol match shot under USPSA rules the second Sat of each month - my favorite match to shoot in VA.

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA
    That we did, Proshooter, that we did.

If I'm ever in the area with a few days to burn again, I'll try to get in on one of your classes. No guarantees though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom