• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Just got my C&R today.
    So I'm thinking that I'm never supposed to sign the original, right? I just sign copies of it?

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    That seems to be the gist of it. Basically, just never sign the last unsigned copy that you have.

My C&R arrived in the mail today as well. I sent it out the day after CMOS. Looks like they're handling applications in the order they're received.

Now I need to figure out what to get with it ... would a Mosin from AIM Surplus be a terrible first C&R acquisition?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Just got my C&R today.
    So I'm thinking that I'm never supposed to sign the original, right? I just sign copies of it?

You are correct. Make copies, put the original away for safe keeping. When you need more copies you will have the original to make more. Only sign a copy when you are mailing it to a vendor or standing in front of the FFL you are going to give it to for a purchase. Some dealers want to see you sign it and check your State issued photo I.D.

Welcome to a life of empty pockets:D

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Some dealers accept e-mailed versions. You can scan a signed copy into your computer, e-mail it to SOG and Midway, and be bankrupt before sunrise tomorrow. Much more efficient.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    What the others have said. Except for many of the online dealers now accepting electronic copies, any physical copies must have an 'original' signature, i.e. one you actually signed in ink. Thus, you don't want to sign the original, otherwise you can basically only use it once. Copies of the license are kosher, just not the signature, so keep the original unsigned, make copies, and only sign the copies. As was mentioned, I also have a PDF of a signed copy that I've used to send to SOG and others.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Now I need to figure out what to get with it ... would a Mosin from AIM Surplus be a terrible first C&R acquisition?

No, not at all. But FWIW, they just reduced their remaining K31's to $199.95, and the shipping cost on two rifles is just a couple of dollars more than shipping on one...

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just got my C&R today.

correct, Do not sign the original as then all copies will be black signed, only sign copies as you use them . I usually use blue ink for everything related to my C&R.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    One more question. If I get some C&R guns using my license and end up giving one of them to a friend, is that allowed? My friend is definitely not a felon and legally he is allowed to own firearms. I would mark him down as the disposition of the C&R firearm in my bound book, of course. Would this be acceptable or does it count as a straw purchase?

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Some dealers accept e-mailed versions. You can scan a signed copy into your computer, e-mail it to SOG and Midway, and be bankrupt before sunrise tomorrow. Much more efficient.

I assume SOG is Southern Ohio Gun, but I don't see any firearms for sale on the site?

No, not at all. But FWIW, they just reduced their remaining K31's to $199.95, and the shipping cost on two rifles is just a couple of dollars more than shipping on one...

And have them toss a CZ82 in the box, along with the three rifles...

I see what you did there ;)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I assume SOG is Southern Ohio Gun, but I don't see any firearms for sale on the site?

I see what you did there ;)

Use the search box on the top right on the SOG site, then you'll find what you're looking for. Lot's of goodies to be had, I only have 3 with mine so far since receiving in June, but more to come for sure.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    One more question. If I get some C&R guns using my license and end up giving one of them to a friend, is that allowed? My friend is definitely not a felon and legally he is allowed to own firearms. I would mark him down as the disposition of the C&R firearm in my bound book, of course. Would this be acceptable or does it count as a straw purchase?

If you end up giving or selling one to him, put his info in your log book including his address and license#, and you're good to go. So long as you aren't engaging in it as a business, or buying a gun for another person (straw purchase). Keep in mind in-state, non-regulated long gun transfers are o.k. between private individuals; across-state transfers are not.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    If you end up giving or selling one to him, put his info in your log book including his address and license#, and you're good to go. So long as you aren't engaging in it as a business, or buying a gun for another person (straw purchase). Keep in mind in-state, non-regulated long gun transfers are o.k. between private individuals; across-state transfers are not.

What if he's not a C&R though, just Joe Non-Felonious Citizen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom