• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I'm curious, what's your pick for .45ACP w/threaded barrel?

The obvious choices that come immediately to mind:

FNP 45 Tactical
    Mags are 15 rounds. Comes with 3 mags, for a whopping 45 rounds on tap.
    Sights are raised to see over the can.
    Has adapter plate for red dot optics!​
    Sig 220 Elite Dark or Combat
    Mag is a rather low 8 rounds, single stack (with a 10 rnd extened mag available).
    Elite model sights aren't raised, combat sights are. Elite has nice aluminum grips.​
    HK USP 45 Tactical
    HK is 12 rounds.
    Older model, circa 1995. New "HK" line not available with higher sights and treaded barrel​

What else am I missing?

[edited to clarify that those guns are not in my sig :)]

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Sounds like, by looking at your signature, you already have my pick. I have a FNP Tactical, and think it's a very nice choice. I was going to get a HK USP Tactical, but got the FNP instead and don't regret it. The HK is still a very nice weapon, and I may still get one, but for now I am happy with the FNP.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    H&K MK23... some people love 'em (me), some people feel they are big and clunky. Just throwing out an idea. The other thought would be Glock 21 with an aftermarket threaded barrel, probably one of the least expensive options.

wjt1169

Who makes a holster for these? Are there any that allow you to holster with a can attached if need be?

left-in-case01.jpg

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Who makes a holster for these? Are there any that allow you to holster with a can attached if need be?

The main issue with these guns with threaded barrels like the Sig Combat TB and the FNP-45 Tactical is that they have those taller sights to get over the suppressor. That screws things up for the holster.

FN advertises an accessory pack on the 45 Tactical web page which includes a holster. I assume it accommodates the taller sights.
    http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?mid=FNM0183&cid=FNC02&gid=FNG023&fid=FNF063

If you run a can like an SilencerCo Osprey which is rectangular shaped like the slide, you would have a fighting chance of getting it into a holster. The FNP-45 Tactical has specified width of 1.58", although the width of the slide is less than that. The Osprey 45 has width 1.3" and is 1.75" high. The AAC TiRant 45 is 1.38" diameter.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    There might be a shop that specializes in holsters for Class III toys. Would you want leather or plastic for the holster?

One issue I could see is radiated heat off the can, if it had been fired for some rounds. Would you want that near your leg or chest? Even if they could use asbestos the heat might be too much.

There is a company, name escapes me, that makes carry pouches for hot soldiering irons. Not sure if you could use the material used in those pouches for a suppressor holster?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What about a clamshell holster? Build into it a suppressor wrap. I still would be concerned about the heat.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I was thinking of a if-you-had-to-could-you tactical situation where you may need to holster quickly to free up your hands.

I don't have any suppressors here, what is the average length of one, meant for a .45ACP round? Try holstering a gun, with a ruler or dowel, taped to the muzzle. Can you draw or holster the gun easily?

It might be easier and safer to use a handgun with a mag disconnect and eject the mag and drop the handgun with the suppressor. Recover it when you can.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm curious, what's your pick for .45ACP w/threaded barrel?

The obvious choices that come immediately to mind:

FNP 45 Tactical
    Mags are 15 rounds. Comes with 3 mags, for a whopping 45 rounds on tap.
    Has adapter plate for red dot optics!​
    Sig 220 Elite Dark or Combat
    Mag is a rather low 8 rounds, single stack (with a 10 rnd extened mag available).
    Elite model sights aren't raised, combat sights are. Elite has nice aluminum grips.​
    HK USP 45 Tactical
    HK is 12 rounds.
    Older model, circa 1995. New "HK" line not available with higher sights and treaded barrel​
    What else am I missing?

[edited to clarify that those guns are not in my sig :)]

I shot the HK and thought it was a great gun until I shot the Sig's. I would like to fire the Sig 220 Elite Dark because we have the Blackwater model Sig was making in 9mm that is one of the nicest guns I have ever shot. I'm hoping the Sig 220 Elite Dark feels the same way. If so, I will buy one for sure.

The 8 round mag is a disappointment, but it's hard to beet the way the sigs feel. I think they are the Swiss watches of the gun world.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I like the FNP but i have the sig and i can't see a "need" for 15 rounds of 45 acp when i'm so accurate with 10...I would get an hkmk23 just for the coolness factor..

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    You can always get a threaded barrel on a 1911 or a Glock 21 if you want. The FNP45 is probably cheaper once you factor in threaded barrel and taller sights but the Glock is probably easier to get holsters for.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I have the 220 and am very happy with the purchase. I am looking to put a can on it in the near future. I looked at the osprey but have heard good things about some others that were a little cheaper.
    First, I need to get the trust set up.

wjt1169

I like the FNP but i have the sig and i can't see a "need" for 15 rounds of 45 acp when i'm so accurate with 10...I would get an hkmk23 just for the coolness factor..

You don't "need" 15 rounds...until you need 15 rounds...if you know what I mean.

I'm sure you're a great shot standing still and shooting a stationary target, but think about how accurate you might be moving while shooting at a moving target who's shooting back at you.

People tend to loose a bit of accuracy when bullets wiz by 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom