• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I've got a Savage 10 FCP on a McMillan. I'm thinking about possibly geting some glass bedding done.

I'm in Potomac, MD, but willing to drive some to get it done right.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a (relatively) local shop for this? Alternatively, I can ship it off, if you know of a good place that's not around these parts.

I'm also interested to know if people think the benefits are worth the trouble to do it.

Thanks!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It's not too bad for a DYI job, but things can get ugly quickly if something goes wrong.

You might try Ed Harren, Harren Custom Guns, in Ijamsville. Ed Posts here as "DocEd". I'm sure he can do the work very nicely, but does he have time?

CMOS, How much it helps depends on how bad it is....

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Savage? DIY. It's a piece of puddin'. The hardest part is installing aluminum pillars, that is if you're starting with an aftermarket stock. There are numerous how to's on Savage shooters. The easiest way I've don't it is using Evercoat mold release, using electrical tape on the barrel nut the bottom and sides of the recoil lug. If you bed all the way down the length of the barrel channel, use plastic wrap on the barrel that's a few mils thick so the barrel is free floated.

I use modeling clay to fill gaps, hols, and hard inside corners on the action. I prefer to do this in the winter so should the action get stuck I can set the whole thing out in the garage and allow the metal to shrink.

Honestly if you take your time it's not that hard.

http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stock Bedding 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom