• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    What do you guys think of a concealed carry gun with a tac light? Something like the X300 or X400?
    (See http://www.surefire.com/HandgunWeaponLights)

I would have considered it crazy because of the large size of my old Insight M6 light. But the new Surefire X300/X400 are smaller.

Then I was watching the Magpul dynamic handgun video and they were suggesting going concealed using a tac light in a Raven holster.

I'm curious what people here think of the tradeoff of increased size and weight vs the advantage of the light or light/laser combo.

Thanks...

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    If my G27 had a rail on it, it would have a surefire X300 or x400 mounted to it.

I honestly would buy another G27 if they ever came out with a railed version.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Home Defense - Yes.
    Concealed Carry - No.

If you really see the need for a light, I think you'd probably be better off carrying a separate mini-mag flashlight.

Just my opinion.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I tried doing that with a Glock 19/ 32 and I just cant seem to find a comfortable way of carrying it. Bladetech holster are just too bulky and the light slows down the draw.

Until a comfortable IWB holster is available.. I'll have to drop the taclight.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I tried doing that with a Glock 19/ 32 and I just cant seem to find a comfortable way of carrying it. Bladetech holster are just too bulky and the light slows down the draw.

Until a comfortable IWB holster is available.. I'll have to drop the taclight.

crossbreed holsters (what I carry my pistols in most of the time) can make the kydex to carry with a taclight....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I carry a small "tactical" flashlight at all times along with my carry pistol, spare mag, and sometimes a BUG. A flashlight of most any type is INVALUABLE for mundane tasks like finding dropped keys, to provide visibility to cars while walking along an unlit road, or if your car breaks down. It can also serve as a striking weapon in a pinch, and if someone is following you, or appears up to no good, a quick flash of the light both blinds and startles them, while helping you identify them, and being the hands will tend to come up instinctively to cover the eyes, if they have anything dangerous in their hands it is clearly visible. Problem is that none of these situations would justify drawing your firearm at first, so while a flashlight is very useful for defense, one stuck to your weapon is very limited, and can cause failures in compact pistols, along with being bulky and expensive. For home defense, I have a light n my 870 and light/laser combo on my bedstand pistol, but they are actually convieniently located backups to my trusty handheld light. It does take a good bit of practice and training to get good with using a light, both because you primarily need to shoot with one hand, but to use 2 hands you need to use very different grip techniques than without a light, I am lucky enough to have a range that I can shoot at during dusk/early evening, and have confidence in my rig. Combining night sights, and a handheld light along with training and practice offer me a huge boost in confiedence and shoud provide a big advantage if I need to defend myself in the dark, statistically, an attack is more likely to occur at night than the day, so that is a very big advantage.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I am probably in the minority here, but I would NEVER suggest a light on a pistol. Things you point the light at to see are also things that you are pointing your pistol at - and they may not be things that you want to shoot.

The potential for disaster is too great, in my opinion.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    When I use a taclight.. I usually point it at the floor in a low ready position.( point at the walls or ceiling in a high ready position when negotiating stairs) The light is bright enough to illuminate the area and potential target without directly pointing it at people.

taclights do make most people violate gun safety rule #2
    " Never point a gun at anything you do not want to kill or destroy"

Just be extremely aware that the taclight is connected to a loaded gun. There are no accidental discharges.. only negligent ones.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I carry a small "tactical" flashlight at all times along with my carry pistol, spare mag, and sometimes a BUG. A flashlight of most any type is INVALUABLE for mundane tasks like finding dropped keys, to provide visibility to cars while walking along an unlit road, or if your car breaks down. It can also serve as a striking weapon in a pinch, and if someone is following you, or appears up to no good, a quick flash of the light both blinds and startles them, while helping you identify them, and being the hands will tend to come up instinctively to cover the eyes, if they have anything dangerous in their hands it is clearly visible. Problem is that none of these situations would justify drawing your firearm at first, so while a flashlight is very useful for defense, one stuck to your weapon is very limited, and can cause failures in compact pistols, along with being bulky and expensive. For home defense, I have a light n my 870 and light/laser combo on my bedstand pistol, but they are actually convieniently located backups to my trusty handheld light. It does take a good bit of practice and training to get good with using a light, both because you primarily need to shoot with one hand, but to use 2 hands you need to use very different grip techniques than without a light, I am lucky enough to have a range that I can shoot at during dusk/early evening, and have confidence in my rig. Combining night sights, and a handheld light along with training and practice offer me a huge boost in confiedence and shoud provide a big advantage if I need to defend myself in the dark, statistically, an attack is more likely to occur at night than the day, so that is a very big advantage.

agreed, a good compact flashlight is invaluable

I carry a Surefire Lumamax LX2 everyday.

200 lumens of bright white light in a small package. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom