• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Curious if anyone's got a sense of this guy. Capt in US Army Reserves, former JAG, tri-lingual, MCPD commander, attorney. Seems interested in unleashing the department's deputies for more get-the-bad-guy type law enforcement rather than (as he puts it) hiding in the courthouse. Certainly a go-getter, but don't have a bead yet on his overall philosophical sensibilities.

http://www.jaeforsheriff.com

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I know him and worked with him for several years before he left the district to go to a slower district so he could attend law school. He is a good guy. Popkin worked under the old Sheriff. It's been pretty much run the same way as the previous Sheriff. It sounds like Jae wants to guide the department in the same direction PGSD took under Sheriff Jackson years ago. There duties come pretty close to what PGPD does day to day. If I lived in Montgomery County I would vote for Jae over Popkin.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Curious if anyone's got a sense of this guy. Capt in US Army Reserves, former JAG, tri-lingual, MCPD commander, attorney. Seems interested in unleashing the department's deputies for more get-the-bad-guy type law enforcement rather than (as he puts it) hiding in the courthouse. Certainly a go-getter, but don't have a bead yet on his overall philosophical sensibilities.

*****Yes. He lives in Boyds, and went to Walter Johnson High School with some of my range friends that shoot with me at IWLA, and who are also RSO, and NRA certified instructors. He's very well educated, a life member of the NRA, and has a lot of experience with firearms. He is very smart, and has experience in many facets of law enforcement, from both a military and community policing perspective. He comes from a well to do family, and decided to be a public servant versus working at a big law firm in a courthouse.

I don't know him well personally, but have heard he is very tough on crime, and has gotten a lot of continuing education on gang violence and modern policing methods from a community law enforcement perspective. I've lived in MoCo most of my life now, and have seen him around over the years, as it is still pretty rare IME to see an Asian law enforcement officer speaking fluent Spanish! (I speak Spanish).

I have no idea if he would come with SWAT to break down your door, shoot your dog, and take your HBARS and over 10 round capacity mags if Ben Jealous becomes our next Governor, but I strongly suspect he would not.

He seems like a great guy, and I would vote for him over Popkin for sure.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know him and worked with him for several years before he left the district to go to a slower district so he could attend law school. He is a good guy. Popkin worked under the old Sheriff. It's been pretty much run the same way as the previous Sheriff. It sounds like Jae wants to guide the department in the same direction PGSD took under Sheriff Jackson years ago. There duties come pretty close to what PGPD does day to day. If I lived in Montgomery County I would vote for Jae over Popkin.

That is good to know.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How does he feel about Red Flag/ERPO gun confiscations without due process first?

This should be asked of all politicians and people with arrest powers.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    How does he feel about Red Flag/ERPO gun confiscations without due process first?

This should be asked of all politicians and people with arrest powers.

I doubt it would be the Sheriff who would be coming for your guns. MSP Stormtroopers, maybe?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AFAIK in Mo Co, the Sheriff serves court papers, summons, etc.

But their view of citizen rights is important if they too can confiscate property without due process.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I know Jae, very well. Worked with him. He is very conservative, very pro gun, pro family values, good man. No one has anything to fear with him.....

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Prob a dumb question but how does one vote for sheriff? Does that come up on the ballot in the fall or completely separate process?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Don't we already have a police force in MoCo. Rockville has their own police and Gaithersburg has their own police and it may be that some down county enclaves have their own police too. Don't we have park police too and maybe some more police. Do we really need the Sheriff's deputies getting out amongst the population? Why should we clog our hi-ways and by-ways with more police?

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Don't we already have a police force in MoCo. Rockville has their own police and Gaithersburg has their own police and it may be that some down county enclaves have their own police too. Don't we have park police too and maybe some more police. Do we really need the Sheriff's deputies getting out amongst the population? Why should we clog our hi-ways and by-ways with more police?

Rockville city only polices incorperated Rockville City, the same goes for Chevy Chase Village, Gaithersburg City, and Takoma Park. The MCPD provides one officer per 100,000 residents. And that's fudging the numbers considering the patrol bureau has about 800 to 1000 officers who actually field calls for service. State law required a cop in each school starting at middle school. Where are the bodies coming from? The Sheriff's department could help with that once their staffing issues are resolved.So yeah we could use more law enforcement officers.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Rockville city only polices incorperated Rockville City, the same goes for Chevy Chase Village, Gaithersburg City, and Takoma Park. The MCPD provides one officer per 100,000 residents. And that's fudging the numbers considering the patrol bureau has about 800 to 1000 officers who actually field calls for service. State law required a cop in each school starting at middle school. Where are the bodies coming from? The Sheriff's department could help with that once their staffing issues are resolved.So yeah we could use more law enforcement officers.

So the MoCo PoPo only have 8 or 10 officers on the street at anyone time? Seems we could cut the MoCo PoPo by 75% and still provide the same if not greater level of PoPo on the road.

There are too many agencies in MoCo going from municipal to state to federal.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the feedback, knowledgeable people. Whether or not the Sheriff Department's role in broader county law enforcement changes a bit, we have a powerfully vested interest in normalizing the presence of people with Hwan's sensibilities as public officials here in Marylandistan. The Sheriff makes public appearances and is frequently quoted in the media. Hell, he might one day take a shot at some other public office. So I'll give him my support regardless of the main issue he's chosen, campaign-wise, to differentiate himself from Popkin. This IS a political position as well as a LEO role, and we need all the allies and good results we can get.

They just opened their hiring process a few weeks ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom