what is the most usuable 19th century rifle to buy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Which one do you think you can find ammo for the easiest.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Which one do you think you can find ammo for the easiest.

That's a pretty broad topic...

Readily available black powder and lead will cover a Harper's Ferry rifle through your choice of Civil War era muskets, with some Hawkens thrown in the middle.

If you want cartridge, a Trapdoor Springfield, Sharps, or Marlin 1895 in .45-70 might be your best bet.

If you're after smokeless, maybe Krag or a variety of .30-30 lever actions.

What you want to do with the rifle may help narrow down your options.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you want a rifle with the slickest bolt action ever, look at the .30-40 Krag.

You can still find ammo for them too. Or load your own.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is a two part question , with both " most usable RIFLE " , and also ammo availability. Sidesteps cost in the abstract, or relative value . Or authenticity vs having been sporterized back in the day.

AND , how literally are we defining 19th Century ? The specific rifle having been mfg before 1/1/1899 ? Or 19th century DESIGN , mfg into the 20th century , but still C&R ? Current Era reproduction of 19th cen design ?

But to kick things rolling, here's a sampling of ctgs introduced in 19th Cen still currently in use , in vaguely sort of descending order :

.30-30
    8x57
    .45-70
    7x57
    .303Brit
    7.62x54R
    6.5x55

Mfg , but less commonly found

.38-55
    .25-35
    .44-40, .38-40, .32-20,.25-20
    ( Several Europaen 6.5mm mil cals)
    ( Several Europaen & Latin American 7.65mm mil ctgs )

Rifles ? Going with common , and pre-1899 production by s/n , the obvious choices :

Various Mosin Nagant
    Various M93 & M98 Mauser in 7x57.
    Various M88 & M98 Mauser in 8x57

Those used to be available dirt cheap. Still around, still comparably affordable. Of those , I'd pick a 7x57 , because I like the ctg , even loaded down to 1893 pressures.

I would be tickled to have a pre-1899 Winchester M1895, but for the $$ , I could adequately channel the spirit of a pre-64 .

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Hey, don't forget the 8mm Lebel, the round that started the smokless revolution. I've got a 1886/93 arriving on Monday. Ammo still being produced for them too.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Like the idea of a Krag rifle. You can go sporterized if your budget is tight and you just want a range rifle. No lack of those about. Or go big and find a nice original survivor. But be prepared to open the wallet quite a bit wider in that case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Let's see how the OP further expands on his priorities.

By my WAG of OP's intentions, the Krag and Lebel would be too rare, too expensive, and ammo availability too spotty compared to the obvious choices I listed . But I could be guessing wrong , and the OP thinking like Mawkie .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If ammo availability is the main concern, hasn't .22lr been around since the 1800's? It's usually pretty available ;)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Definition is way too broad. Many of the gun platforms we use today were developed in the late 1800s through early 1900s. Technically this would include many Mosins and Mausers. Then you have the Winchesters and commercial rifles.

If you want something military I would say you cant go wrong with a Krag or a Trapdoor.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    What do you want it for? This is the most important question.

An occasional range shooter? Target competition? Do you want to shoot black powder or equivalent mild smokeless? Do you want to shoot an original, or is a modern reproduction available?

As has been pointed out, most of our guns are 19th Century designs, and many of our cartridges have been around since then also. It was also mentioned that .22 rimfire has been around since the 1850s, before the Civil War. (.22 Short anyway.)

But if you want an old-timey cartridge rifle that is readily available and uses easy-to-find ammo, then I suggest something in .45-70. A Trapdoor Springfield makes a great shooter. There are also Remington Rolling Blocks, Sharps, Ballards, Winchester Hi Wall and Low Wall... Many other single shot breechloaders were chambered in .45-70. There were also some magazine rifles made in that caliber:the Winchester 1886 lever action of course, but also the Winchester Hotchkiss and the Remington Lee bolt actions.

But if you want an Old Timey rifle with a LOT of history, easy to find, that uses readily available off-the-shelf ammunition, then you should take a long hard look at the Trapdoor Springfields.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My guess is this would be used to circumvent the NICS. I could be wrong, but when I hear people talking about pre 1899 rifles out of the blue, this gets my attention.

Only interested in a good gun with available ammo. No mention of collectability. Only interest is available ammo.

Interesting, interesting indeed.

Sirex