• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I will be shipping a long gun back to the manufacturer for warranty service. I did some searching and didn't find very much guidance for how to do this.

My first concern is boxing it up. I don't have a box for this particular rifle, but I may have some appropriately sized boxes laying around. Any advice for packing it up? Anything other than normal throw it in a box with some filler and tape it all up thoroughly?

I have a pre-printed shipping label for UPS. Can I just drop it off at any UPS store for shipping, or do I have to go to a hub? I have returned non-firearm related items in the past and they normally don't ask questions. I just want to make sure this isn't illegal or something.

Any other concerns I may not be thinking about?

Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have a box, or can convert one, that would work.

Or ask the manufacturer to send you a box to ship it in. Most will do that.

If you have a pre-printed label, I would call for pick up. You cannot ship firearms from UPS Stores. They might not ask, but they are supposed to only go through hubs.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Had the same problem shipping my 15-22 back to S&W.

Had the original box, but didn't want it floating around in there and arriving even MORE damaged.

Stuffed the box with bubble wrap, came back 3 weeks later running like a top.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• ups.JPG
      ups.JPG
      53.7 KB · Views: 87

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Ok, it looks like there is a Customer Center convenient to my office. Do you know if they offer boxing services if I need a box? Thanks for the feedback.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Make sure the box is plain and brown, nothing indicating its a gun.
    Maybe post your location and length of gun and if its scoped or not and someone may offer you a plain brown box for it.

Wrap the gun in bubble wrap and then tap the bubble wrap so it does not wiggle out in shipment.
    Don't be obnoxious with how you tape it, allow it so the people on the other end don't have to use a box cutter and scratch the gun up.
    If you have a gun box, you can also double box it (gun's original box inside another bigger plain box).
    If you use paper wrap, just know, it can wiggle its way to the edge, and then that's how damage happens.
    I like it when I get my milsurps wrapped in bubble wrap, then the ends are jammed with paper so the muzzle and butt do not shift around.
    Think about how this things going to be tossed around and vibrate in shipping.

If you use a UPS customer service counter like in Baltimore or Burtonsville for example, call them and ask what paperwork you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom