• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Abrasive snap caps.

Somebody enterprising can sell them as a kit, with a naked replacement firing pin just in case the snaps caps damage the original.

Who needs expensive machinery? Just give it a quick rub on the sidewalk and gtg. Not to mention it will wear off under normal use. I would bet within 1000 rds.

As part of being a responsible gun owner, use a fine needle file to remove any burrs from the firing pin. Don't want anything there that might cause failures.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    S&W and Ruger have already pulled out of the CA market.

Both Ruger and Smith & Wesson Will Stop Selling New Guns in California Due to Microstamping Law

No doubt the PRofMD (aka California in Miniature) will attempt to mimic the CA microstamping law.

good for them- I know that the people aren't at fault- not the ones buying guns anyways, but this will help their cause.

I had gotten really pissed at S&W for their destruction of QC measures at Thompson Center when they bought them out, as well as with the early version M&P pistols.

HOWEVER, I recently got an M&P-10 and it is one of the finest rifles I have ever held or fired, and even though I sold off my M&P pistol after the second time the frame cracked and it STILL wouldn't shoot straight, I have come to understand that part of that was due to incorrect barrel twist, and I am hearing great things about the newer M&P pistols, including that they process their stainless steel through their nitride process at a temperature that does not form chromium carbides preferentially and lead to corrosion problems.

so, since they whipped things back into shape I've got to say I'm impressed.

Wish I would have gotten one of the M&P-15s with the 5r melonited barrel when they were mega cheap, but their name at the time was not worth investing to me at the time due to the myriad of corner cuts I was seeing.

Ruger I've always been a fan of, and unless something crazy happens, I will continue to be.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    +1 on that... hopefully it would slow down the source of some of those stupid ideas

NO!!!

The stupid is contained right now!

If it falls off into the open they will flood into America and it will be like Colorado on a grand scale...

First they were just in Aspen, showing up to get away from crappy california life. Then when they had made Aspen a mini california they spread to the rest of the state- and now they have mag limitations- in the HOME STATE OF MAGPUL!!!

I say nuke the site from orbit.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    quote from the Judge

"The law barring sales of handguns without the microstamping technology doesn’t violate the Constitution’s Second Amendment because gun owners don’t have a right to buy specific types of firearms"

“Plaintiffs insist they have the right to determine the precise way in which they would exercise their Second Amendment rights,” The insistence upon particular handguns falls “outside the scope of the right to bear arms”

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    quote from the Judge

"The law barring sales of handguns without the microstamping technology doesn’t violate the Constitution’s Second Amendment because gun owners don’t have a right to buy specific types of firearms"

“Plaintiffs insist they have the right to determine the precise way in which they would exercise their Second Amendment rights,” The insistence upon particular handguns falls “outside the scope of the right to bear arms”

So what the judge is saying is that it is completely legal for the state to say something to the effect of "you have the right to bear arms but only if those arms are manufactured by company X". I can't imagine that will pass constitutional muster. And lets face it, most of these judges are just politicians anyway so who knows.

I wonder when they will expand this to other rights as well. What stops them from saying, you have the right to freedom of the press, but only if your news organization ends with the letters NBC.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    So what the judge is saying is that it is completely legal for the state to say something to the effect of "you have the right to bear arms but only if those arms are manufactured by company X". I can't imagine that will pass constitutional muster. And lets face it, most of these judges are just politicians anyway so who knows.

I wonder when they will expand this to other rights as well. What stops them from saying, you have the right to freedom of the press, but only if your news organization ends with the letters NBC.

They already have, it's called the Fairness Doctrine.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    California Supreme Court Throws Out Lawsuit Challenging Bullet Stamping Law

The California Supreme Court ruled unanimously to throw out a lawsuit challenging California’s bullet stamping law that requires new semi-automatic handguns to stamp identifying information on bullet casings, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

Gun rights groups argued the law should be overturned because it was impossible to comply with, as the technology does not exist. The court ruled the law could not be overturned simply because it was impossible to comply with.

The law requires new semi-automatic handguns to “have a microscopic array of characters in two spots that identify the gun’s make, model and serial number and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the gun is fired,” reported The Associated Press.

Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the law in 2007, with supporters arguing that it would help police solve gun crimes by allowing them to trace bullet casings to the original gun. The law took effect in 2013.

Gun rights groups pointed out in the lawsuit that technology to reliably “microstamp” in two different areas does not exist and that available technology only allows the tip of the firing pin to be microstamped.

State attorneys argued in court that the law would force the gun industry to innovate and that lawmakers often passed laws to force different industries to adapt. If the California Supreme Court had ruled in favor of the gun rights groups, lawmakers would be stripped of that ability.

The law does not affect guns already manufactured and only applies to new and modified semi-automatic handguns.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The California Supreme Court ruled unanimously to throw out a lawsuit challenging California’s bullet stamping law that requires new semi-automatic handguns to stamp identifying information on bullet casings, The Associated Press reported Thursday.

Gun rights groups argued the law should be overturned because it was impossible to comply with, as the technology does not exist. The court ruled the law could not be overturned simply because it was impossible to comply with.

The law requires new semi-automatic handguns to “have a microscopic array of characters in two spots that identify the gun’s make, model and serial number and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the gun is fired,” reported The Associated Press.

Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the law in 2007, with supporters arguing that it would help police solve gun crimes by allowing them to trace bullet casings to the original gun. The law took effect in 2013.

Gun rights groups pointed out in the lawsuit that technology to reliably “microstamp” in two different areas does not exist and that available technology only allows the tip of the firing pin to be microstamped.

State attorneys argued in court that the law would force the gun industry to innovate and that lawmakers often passed laws to force different industries to adapt. If the California Supreme Court had ruled in favor of the gun rights groups, lawmakers would be stripped of that ability.

The law does not affect guns already manufactured and only applies to new and modified semi-automatic handguns.

Wait... What? Were examples given of an industry that has done this?

Q

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Should apply to all firearms sold to state and local police in CA.

Manufacturers should issue recall of state and local LEO firearms to make them compliant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Should apply to all firearms sold to state and local police in CA.

Manufacturers should issue recall of state and local LEO firearms to make them compliant.

Legislature and LE, as always (especially in Kommiefornia), are exempted from the absurd laws they pass.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Here is the decision itself.

Attachments

• opinion NSSF v. California microstamping decision.PDF
      197.2 KB · Views: 152

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    The court ruled the law could not be overturned simply because it was impossible to comply with.

State attorneys argued in court that the law would force the gun industry to innovate and that lawmakers often passed laws to force different industries to adapt.

By this reasoning they could pass a law that said you could only sell guns that won't fire at police officers, children and Santa Claus.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    The court ruled the law could not be overturned simply because it was impossible to comply with.

State attorneys argued in court that the law would force the gun industry to innovate and that lawmakers often passed laws to force different industries to adapt.

By this reasoning they could pass a law that said you could only sell guns that won't fire at police officers, children and Santa Claus.

By this reasoning, they could pass a law which made the qualifications for the California state legislature that one be a 4,000 year old golden fire breathing tiger from the planet Venus. In fact, they should probably pass those requirements into law immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom