Cheapest transfers or in stock stripped lowers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I was in Duffy's once and asked what would be the cash price on 2 suppressors. Was told "come back with the cash and we'll talk about it". Engage got my money on those 2, and a couple of others, even though it's 1 hour each way. I just don't understand some places business policies.

That's a very poor and inaccurate representation of how that conversation went down, John. You were looking into a Mossad II and a YHM titanium Phantom 7.62. You brought the suppressors up after you had been in the shop for at least an hour, and I had a pretty long conversation with you. I didn't just tell you to "bring in the money and we'll talk about it". I worked with you for over an hour and gave you my best cash price.

Let's set a few things straight. First off, I did not have the Mossad in stock, and the price you quoted me was below my dealer cost. I even told you that I couldn't beat it; it was a good deal I couldn't match and perhaps the other dealer who had it wanted to move some dead stock. Concerning the YHM, which I had in stock, you have previously stated that I tried to flagrantly rip you off on the can by selling you a mount, which should have been included. You also claimed that my price was $200 over MSRP (there's an obvious reason for that, which we discussed- the $200 transfer tax). I could go back two years ago and cite your previous posts, but I'll let that slide for the moment. What we actually discussed was that you would need an extra mount (1/2x28, in fact) because you wanted to use it on your M16 and ARs; the one I had in stock came with the standard 5/8x24 mount which you needed for your .300 Blackout.

After a long and detailed conversation, I told you to bring it the cash if you wanted to make a move. I even ordered the Mossad for you the following day, which I subsequently sold and delivered to another customer. You never returned for it- instances like that are part of the reason dealers like to get paid upfront for items. Any reasonable man would understand that it is just bad business to pay more for an item than you sell it for, hence my unwillingness to move any lower on the price of the Mossad.

Now, about a year ago, you came by the shop. We discussed this very incident, and you claimed that you bought the cans from Continental, not Engage. And you also claimed that you bought a AAC 762 SDN-6 instead of the YHM. This is the same conversation where you mentioned your Sparrow being stolen at Freestate. You also mentioned this in front of two customers who are both members of this forum. I'll leave them anonymous for now, unless they decide to chime in.

Now I don't have any problem whatsoever with Continental, Engage, or any other competitior- IP or not. If any one of them got your business, I am glad for them. I am all for friendly competition, and theoretically at least one or some of them got your business. But if you are going to make statements in a public forum, keep it factual, keep it accurate, and keep your story straight.

Last edited:

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    There is about a 15$ difference but saving on gas and time driving to Balt. when I live in Cecil evens that out. I just thought it odd that they did not want to give a price over the phone. When i asked about that he never gave a reason and just repeated we don't give prices over the phone.

Imorrison17, just my two cents: If things even out, nothing beats just getting in the car and getting it done, vs coordinating a transfer. I've done transfers, but the items were specific (i.e. hard to find) and the transferor was super solid in helping me all around: replying PMs same day (he is an IP here), mailing out his FFL to seller etc. I chose him not because of his transfer fees and not because of driving distance (30 miles each way), but because of all around positive reviews I read. My point though is not to guide you to a different transferor, maybe the one you chose is superb, my point is, if you can just get it done for pretty much the same cost of a transfer, do not do a transfer.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's a very poor and inaccurate representation of how that conversation went down, John. You were looking into a Mossad II and a YHM titanium Phantom 7.62. You brought the suppressors up after you had been in the shop for at least an hour, and I had a pretty long conversation with you. I didn't just tell you to "bring in the money and we'll talk about it". I worked with you for over an hour and gave you my best cash price.

Let's set a few things straight. First off, I did not have the Mossad in stock, and the price you quoted me was below my dealer cost. I even told you that I couldn't beat it; it was a good deal I couldn't match and perhaps the other dealer who had it wanted to move some dead stock. Concerning the YHM, which I had in stock, you have previously stated that I tried to flagrantly rip you off on the can by selling you a mount, which should have been included. You also claimed that my price was $200 over MSRP (there's an obvious reason for that, which we discussed- the $200 transfer tax). I could go back two years ago and cite your previous posts, but I'll let that slide for the moment. What we actually discussed was that you would need an extra mount (1/2x28, in fact) because you wanted to use it on your M16 and ARs; the one I had in stock came with the standard 5/8x24 mount which you needed for your .300 Blackout.

After a long and detailed conversation, I told you to bring it the cash if you wanted to make a move. I even ordered the Mossad for you the following day, which I subsequently sold and delivered to another customer. You never returned for it- instances like that are part of the reason dealers like to get paid upfront for items. Any reasonable man would understand that it is just bad business to pay more for an item than you sell it for, hence my unwillingness to move any lower on the price of the Mossad.

Now, about a year ago, you came by the shop. We discussed this very incident, and you claimed that you bought the cans from Continental, not Engage. And you also claimed that you bought a AAC 762 SDN-6 instead of the YHM. This is the same conversation where you mentioned your Sparrow being stolen at Freestate. You also mentioned this in front of two customers who are both members of this forum. I'll leave them anonymous for now, unless they decide to chime in.

Now I don't have any problem whatsoever with Continental, Engage, or any other competitior- IP or not. If any one of them got your business, I am glad for them. I am all for friendly competition, and theoretically at least one or some of them got your business. But if you are going to make statements in a public forum, keep it factual, keep it accurate, and keep your story straight.

Vince, this is not entirely accurate. I may have mixed up 2 cans in my post and I apologize but the basics are accurate. I did get my SDN 6 and another Sparrow from Engage and you are right about the Mossad. I certainly would not expect a dealer to order a class III item on my behalf w/o some up front money, but I would expect a price quote. My problem was not with you but an unnamed coworker of yours. I have never had anything but good service from you. In fact, you Pm'd me an apology on this matter and for your coworker's behavior and attitude, which I still have, and just reread. I'm not going to hash this out on here out of respect for you. You've been very forthright and accommodating in my dealings with you. I don't blame that situation on you as I don't believe you had total control of it. I commend you on your memory but there are a couple of inaccuracies in your response, which will happen over time. So we are both off a little and I shouldn't have brought it up here. Suffice it to say that you indicated you guys were trying to limit said coworker's customer exposure for the good of the business. And I'm not saying I'll never do business with you guys again. As an aside, I just had a conversation with a friend at a party tonite who recently consigned a collection of guns to you and he had nothing but good to say about you guys. I'm going to drop the matter. If you want to PM me that's fine as I'm open to discourse to clear things up.

thai

May 8, 2013
    This is usually my thoughts when someone is pinching that much. Just makes me wonder about the final product after all that penny pinching. Could you really build a good & solid rifle that's cheaper than the average pistol? Why would you want too....

If you're splitting hairs to that degree you probably shouldn't be spending your "marginal utility" on an AR...

Yuk! Yuk! Ha! Ha! LOL.
    I can only imagine this kind of penny pinching leading to some comical results.
    I prefer to buy the best built/quality parts at the lowest price. If you are that hard up for cash I would look into a complete rifle priced at your budget. That way if you happened to get a lemon, you only have to look up one vendor. The other way around you will get an embolism trying to get any parts manufacturer to take blame when something goes wrong.

And hopefully in process you can save a couple of members from resorting to fisticuffs!

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Pardon me I didn't meant post in the "If your AR didn't cost $3000 it's a piece of crap" forum.

I guess I'm going to need a bumper sticker that says

"My other rifle is a Mega Billet side charger with a Shilen barrel, Geissele high speed match trigger, Sightron SII 6-24, Sinclair 3rd gen F-class bi-pod with elevation adjustment and shoots 3" groups in 600yd F-class matches with Berger 80.5 grain bullets.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    Pardon me I didn't meant post in the "If your AR didn't cost $3000 it's a piece of crap" forum.

"My other rifle is a Mega Billet side charger with a Shilen barrel, Geissele high speed match trigger, Sightron SII 6-24, Sinclair 3rd gen F-class bi-pod with elevation adjustment and shoots 3" groups in 600yd F-class matches with Berger 80.5 grain bullets.

Don't worry about the elitist. They are everywhere it's hard to shake them. There's plenty quality AR 15 and parts that's affordable that isn't crap. But they will never see it. Let them live in there elitist bubble until there shitted on by somebody with a build that costed way less.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

keep-calm-and-have-a-snickers-8.png

I think the correlation that he was trying to make was, if you are going to cheap out over 5-15 bucks for a lower, what else are you going to sacrifice quality on? It wasn't meant to rip on you, I don't think. I think it was meant as a warning, about cheap and crappy parts and to avoid them. Sometimes you can't cheap out on components.

As for your 3k AR rant, I find it absolutely hilarious, because I built one that was extreme in every sense of the word. The reality in this is that you can build a damn good AR for 700-800, but you have to keep your eyes open and look for the right deals, while not getting crap components.

I just dropped $134 on a 300BLK barrel, but I found that that same barrel would run about 425 from AAC. I jumped on that real hard, as you can imagine. I also picked up a Raptor CH for $15 off, during the BF sales. I figure my 300BLK upper is going to run me around 500-600, in just components. My lower os going to set me back another 350-400 in just parts. I know what parts I want, for what I intend to use the rifle for. That is all the justification I need for the parts I am going to buy.

If you want to buy a decent LPK, then be prepared to drop at least 45 bucks on a GI LPK. You can get a decent buffer kit for around 50 bucks from JBO. You can also get a fully assembled upper from JSE Surplus, that comes with a CH and BCG. I was looking at a no frills 223/556 HBAR, for 400. Just remember, as long as you can justify the price for the right parts, who cares what others think? This isn't ARFCOM.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md

If your scope didn't cost $3000 its a piece a crap and shilen was so 20 years ago:innocent0

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    If your scope didn't cost $3000 its a piece a crap and shilen was so 20 years ago:innocent0

DOn't let my $500 B&L hear you say that after it helped whip the snot out of all the competition at the DE ST Mid-Range F-Class Championship using Night Force and March scopes.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom