• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcpd34

Peoples Republic Maryland
    Jan 29, 2009
    MD
    Just saw this from MSP. Seems they have made a ruling on Short Barrelled rifles and shot guns and it isn't good.

Attachments

• 3-26-14 LD-FRS-14-002 - Short Barreled Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles.pdf
      61 KB · Views: 1,121

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So they're saying all SBS and SBR are now handguns and must submitted to the roster board? :shrug:

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    This is a crock of shit. When is this effective, the date of the ruling or is it retro'd to October 1st, 2013 since they gave no indication on their stance on SBR's.

I have submitted an e-form 1 via trust in January. Luckily that is the only SBR build I have, and was planning on doing post 10/1.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    But wait a minute...

It appears that is you have a pre October 1 AR-15 lower or AK receiver that was transfered as an "OTHER this advisory does not apply.

You would be altering or manufacturing a SBR from an OTHER, not a RIFLE.

Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article (“CR”) § 4-201(f), defines “short-barreled rifle” as a rifle that has:
    1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long; OR
    2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle either by alteration or modification.

So all you have to do is fill out a FORM 1 with the BATFE as stated below and you are GTG.

Maryland’s Public Safety Article § 5-203 specifically addresses the possession of short-barreled rifles or short-barreled shotguns. A person may not possess a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun in Maryland unless the person,

1. While on official business is
    a. A member of the law enforcement
    b. A member of the armed forces
    c. A warden or correctional officer
    d. A sheriff or deputy sheriff; OR

2. Is a citizen who has registered with the federal government the short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle in accordance with federal law.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    tc617, sorry, but I don't think that logic really works.

You missed the "OR" word. As long as your barrel is under 16", it's an SBR, no matter what it was manufactured from.

Also, the wording is "you may not possess unless". There is nothing stopping another law from prohibiting you. It does not give you a blanket permission to possess that overrides everything else.

The big take-away for form 1s is that you've got to observe the copycat criteria and maybe worry if it's an ALG.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Doesn't seem like the end of the world? Please correct me if Im wrong on these examples w/ varying levels of issues:

1) Kriss Vector
    The pistol is on the approved handgun roster. The SBR isn't. So buying the SBR directly is no-go unless someone wants to send it in for approval. But the new ruling doesn't stop someone from SBR-ing their pistol on a Form1?? Tougher question might be can someone SBR a carbine (via form1) since that isn't on the list?
    Nether meet the copycat law but it will fail the OAL test. They have a folding stock but no other other "evil features".

2) AR pistol
    Aren't some of these on the roster? (Engage?). So can Form1 SBR them as long as they don't have 2 evil features? Edit: and are still >29" which isn't too hard to do. Looks like #2 and #3 are still good to go too.

It seems to me the ruling only affects sales of SBR/SBS from FFLs. States they need to not be copycats vs not "assault weapons" themselves? It does not prohibit manufacture for ones-self. Only bans "manufactured for distribution or sale" which a form1 typ isn't. That how I read it. So that brings up:

3) AK pistol
    None of these are on the roster AFAIK. No question we have been able to legally build them pre Oct (and possibly post Oct depending on what you believe.) But if you think you can build one legally (and thats the side of the argument I stand on), you can still SBR it on Form1. The ruling states they are treated as pistols. You always have been (and still are?) allowed to manufacture pistols not on the approved roster. W/ the very rare exception of the few "assault pistol" list (still no semi-MACs/Uzi/etc)

How far off base do you guys think I am?

Edit: Reading SB281 again and I forgot that copycat limits to >=29" RIFLES!!!! So that rules out #1 Kriss SBR from a carbine for sure. But still seems to leave the pistol conversion on the table.

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    So a rifle with a barrel greater than 16" but with OAL less than 26 inches (manufacture/modification clause withstanding) is not in question by this advisory?

Must be approved by the Handgun Roster Board. Will require an HQL too? Obnoxious.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    tc617, sorry, but I don't think that logic really works.

You missed the "OR" word. As long as your barrel is under 16", it's an SBR, no matter what it was manufactured from.

Also, the wording is "you may not possess unless". There is nothing stopping another law from prohibiting you. It does not give you a blanket permission to possess that overrides everything else.

The big take-away for form 1s is that you've got to observe the copycat criteria and maybe worry if it's an ALG.

Okay, let's say that I am building a AR SBR with a 12" barrel with an OAL of 30" on a pre-10/1 lower and run through this advisory.

I. Definition - Okay it is an SBR because it has a barrel under 16".
    II. Possesion - It will be okay to posses it because I sent in a FORM 1 to the ATF and it was approved.
    III Possesion of "Copycat" weapon - It is not a copycat because it has an OAL of 30".
    IV. Wear, Carry or Transportation - I am not going to carry it around but wow, this part is interesting... It says that I may not transport an SBR unless I have a Handgun Carry Permit. How can that be?!?!?
    V. Transfer - So in order to receive an SBR I need a background check.
    VI. Approval for Sale or Manufacture by Handgun Roster Board - I am not manufacturing it for sale so this does not apply.

So, by reading this advisory, I can build that SBR on a NFA Trust FORM 1 and submit it to the ATF.

Mr H

Banana'd
    2 things...

This seems to me to be nothing but a somewhat broader definition of existing law. No new language in any of this. Yeah, it may be problematic for new Form 1 items, but I don't see it being a big deal for anyone else (beyond what FSA13 already did).

Additionally, because PS 5-401(c) uses the definition of “handgun” from CR 4-201, a shortbarreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun must be approved by the Handgun Roster Board before it may be manufactured for distribution or sale, or sold or offered for sale in Maryland.

This, best I can tell, has zero effect on anyone who purchased lowers pre-October (whether building rifles or pistols), since we can not sell them in MD anyway.

If anyone sees something I've missed, please...

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Okay, let's say that I am building a AR SBR with a 12" barrel with an OAL of 30" on a pre-10/1 lower and run through this advisory.

I. Definition - Okay it is an SBR because it has a barrel under 16".
    II. Possesion - It will be okay to posses it because I sent in a FORM 1 to the ATF and it was approved.
    III Possesion of "Copycat" weapon - It is not a copycat because it has an OAL of 30".
    IV. Wear, Carry or Transportation - I am not going to carry it around but wow, this part is interesting... It says that I may not transport an SBR unless I have a Handgun Carry Permit. How can that be?!?!?
    V. Transfer - So in order to receive an SBR I need a background check.
    VI. Approval for Sale or Manufacture by Handgun Roster Board - I am not manufacturing it for sale so this does not apply.

So, by reading this advisory, I can build that SBR on a NFA Trust FORM 1 and submit it to the ATF.

Number IV is subject to 4-203. Re-read the exceptions section : http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gcr/4-203.html

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    This is nonsense. How the hell is this even going to work?

And aren't pre 10/1 lowers that are even eligible to be built into SBRs defacto exempt from the FSA?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    2 things...

This seems to me to be nothing but a somewhat broader definition of existing law. No new language in any of this. Yeah, it may be problematic for new Form 1 items, but I don't see it being a big deal for anyone else (beyond what FSA13 already did).

This, best I can tell, has zero effect on anyone who purchased lowers pre-October (whether building rifles or pistols), since we can not sell them in MD anyway.

If anyone sees something I've missed, please...

Nope, that's exactly how I read it.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    § 4-201. Definitions.

(c) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.
    (3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

(f) Short-barreled rifle.- "Short-barreled rifle" means:
    (1) a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long; or
    (2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

I know it's wishful thinking on my part, but it appears to me that MSP is choosing one section of the law to listen to while ignoring the other. By 4-201's definitions a handgun is not a rifle, and a short barreled rifle is a rifle or made from a rifle. Therefor, in my humble opinion, their logic does not hold.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I know it's wishful thinking on my part, but it appears to me that MSP is choosing one section of the law to listen to while ignoring the other. By 4-201's definitions a handgun is not a rifle, and a short barreled rifle is a rifle or made from a rifle. Therefor, in my humble opinion, their logic does not hold.

Item 2 under handgun definition is the interesting item there.

(2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom