Are these rifles regulated in MD (10/1) now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exocorp

Nov 1, 2013
    Rockville
    Hi there, first post for me.

I have been a gun owner for about a year now. I bought an M9A1 last year and have been shooting on and off. I kinda missed the whole gun law changes this year and didn't realize the impact it has on the market. I've read up about it and am sad I can't get a Colt LE6920 Socom anymore. I have been looking at other rifles though and was wondering if these were still OK to purchase?

Thanks in advance,

• Colt LE901-16S
    • Bushmaster ACR (Fixed Stock/Basic State Compliant)
    • FN Scar 16S
    • FN Scar 17S
    • HK MR566A1

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I advise you to stop by your local gun shop and see what they have on the shelves. The dealer will advise you accordingly -- Engage Armament is in Rockville......

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I think you are SOL. If they aren't banned by name, they'll fall into the copycat catagory and thus be prohibited. You're a month late to the game.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I think you are SOL. If they aren't banned by name, they'll fall into the copycat catagory and thus be prohibited. You're a month late to the game.

Argh....:tdown:

All of the guns you listed are legal in MD. The only questionable one is the HK MR556. However, it uses a piston system, which is completely different than an AR, and it looks like it has a heavy barrel.

Enjoy your next rifle!

-Jim

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    being that your new alot of threads already exist about the new gun law. Best to go to your LGS and see what's not banned and then go to another gunshop to see and verify. Check out the Industry partners for shops near you.

exocorp

Nov 1, 2013
    Rockville
    Argh....:tdown:

All of the guns you listed are legal in MD. The only questionable one is the HK MR556. However, it uses a piston system, which is completely different than an AR, and it looks like it has a heavy barrel.

Enjoy your next rifle!

-Jim

Thanks!!!

Can you double confirm the Scar 16/17? The stock is folding and it has a flash suppressor. Doesn't that disqualify it because it has 2 items deemed an assault weapon per the new law? Also how about the ACR Enhanced version?

Lastly... which one of these would be more entertaining to get/shoot :)

There is a 10 round magazine restriction now so if I order online from a retailer and have shipped to a local FFL will the local store strip the magazine?

I can still get around this by going to PA and buying 20 or 30 round ones then bringing it back right? There is no registration check on magazines, correct?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm just really irked by the new laws and didn't realize there was a change until 2 days ago.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    If you've done any reading in the bill in the last couple of days then you know it's laden with inconsistencies and recursive definitions making figuring hot exactly what is and isn't all legal very difficult.

Follow the advise given already and talk to a local gun shop. Even if you find 2-3 members who agree that X gun is legal, if you can't find a LGS who will sell it to you it doesn't much matter.

Re: Mags, the wording hasn't changed, only the round count. However you interpreted that section previously is how it remains today.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms! Sorry you jumped in during the state's misguided infringements of your rights. There are still some mighty fine rifles available to Maryland residents and a search of the forum coupled with a visit to a couple of your local shops will give you a better answer than I could fit in this text box.

If the new restrictions in Maryland have you shaking your head and wondering about where this state is headed, I hope you will become active in the fight to retain our rights. Please look into membership in the NRA, MSI, SAF, etc. Keep on top of activities in DC and Annapolis and let your representatives know you are watching them. Put 2A Tuesday, February 4, 2014 on your calendar.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks!!!

Can you double confirm the Scar 16/17? The stock is folding and it has a flash suppressor. Doesn't that disqualify it because it has 2 items deemed an assault weapon per the new law? Also how about the ACR Enhanced version?

Lastly... which one of these would be more entertaining to get/shoot :)

There is a 10 round magazine restriction now so if I order online from a retailer and have shipped to a local FFL will the local store strip the magazine?

I can still get around this by going to PA and buying 20 or 30 round ones then bringing it back right? There is no registration check on magazines, correct?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm just really irked by the new laws and didn't realize there was a change until 2 days ago.

The SCAR does have a folding stock but does not have a "flash suppressor/hider". It does have a muzzle break though :) Words mean things.

exocorp

Nov 1, 2013
    Rockville
    I called Atlantic and they said they can order/sell me an ACR Enhanced because it was an piston-operated rifle and didn't fall under the AR-15 copy cat ban. Only downside was that they were selling at full retail price.

I called Engage Armament and they said they wouldn't allow the transfer of an ACR Enhanced because they mentioned it has both a flash suppressor and folding stock, making it deemed an assault weapon.

Can anyone clarify if this applies to ANY rifle? Or only COPY CAT AR15's.

Also what would happen if I buy a fixed stock ACR and later bought the folding stock separate and changed it myself? Does this fall under manufacturing or would I be ok since I didn't violate the purchase restriction.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Hi there, first post for me.

I have been a gun owner for about a year now. I bought an M9A1 last year and have been shooting on and off. I kinda missed the whole gun law changes this year and didn't realize the impact it has on the market. I've read up about it and am sad I can't get a Colt LE6920 Socom anymore. I have been looking at other rifles though and was wondering if these were still OK to purchase?

Thanks in advance,

• Colt LE901-16S
    • Bushmaster ACR (Fixed Stock/Basic State Compliant)
    • FN Scar 16S
    • FN Scar 17S
    • HK MR566A1

SB281 Amended Section 4-303 of the Criminal Article by creating a new class of weapons called Assault Weapons and, subject to certain exceptions, imposed significant restrictions on their transportation, sale, transfer, receipt and possession. For most of us, the Assault Weapons are now “banned”.

Among the firearms now classified as Assault Weapons are those listed under § 5-101(R)(2) of the Public Safety Article or their copies. On this list are the “AK–47 in all forms”, “Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle”, “Springfield Armory BM–59, SAR–48, G3, SAR–3, M–21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand”; and “Street sweeper assault type shotgun” – just to name a few.

Also banned as Assault Weapons are semiautomatic centerfired rifles that have any two of the following evil features: (1) a folding stock; (2) a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or (3) a flash suppressor. See Md. Code CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i).

The Colt LE901-16s & Bushmaster ACR with fixed stock are not Assault Weapons. They are not copies of the firearms listed in PS § § 5-101(R)(2) nor do they fail the features test of CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i).

The HK MR556A1 falls within a gray area. The question is whether it is a copy of a Colt AR15? If the answer is yes then it is a banned Assault Weapon. There is some design commonality and parts commonality between the two. The answer here is – maybe.

The FN Scars, as configured from the factory, do IMO fail the features test set forth in CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i). They unquestionably have folding stock. The question is whether the PWS muzzle devise is a “flash suppressor” WITHIN THE MEANING OF MARYLAND LAW. The fact that the manufactures calls it a comp is immaterial. CL § 4-301(g) defines flash suppressor as follows: "Flash suppressor" means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.

The PWS muzzle devise on the Scar does reduce flash to some extent. Also it does redirect flash to the side. Absent any guidance from the MSP on this subject, you should operate on the assumption the Scar’s muzzle devise is a “flash suppressor” within the meaning of the Code. Consequently, the Scar, as configured from the factory, is a banned Assault Weapon.

exocorp

Nov 1, 2013
    Rockville
    Thanks!! Very helpful.

I am leaning towards an ACR now, but was wondering if I ordered the fixed stock ACR and the folding stock part separately, would I be violating the law if I put the folding stock part onto my ACR after I bought it?

SB281 Amended Section 4-303 of the Criminal Article by creating a new class of weapons called Assault Weapons and, subject to certain exceptions, imposed significant restrictions on their transportation, sale, transfer, receipt and possession. For most of us, the Assault Weapons are now “banned”.

Among the firearms now classified as Assault Weapons are those listed under § 5-101(R)(2) of the Public Safety Article or their copies. On this list are the “AK–47 in all forms”, “Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle”, “Springfield Armory BM–59, SAR–48, G3, SAR–3, M–21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand”; and “Street sweeper assault type shotgun” – just to name a few.

Also banned as Assault Weapons are semiautomatic centerfired rifles that have any two of the following evil features: (1) a folding stock; (2) a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or (3) a flash suppressor. See Md. Code CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i).

The Colt LE901-16s & Bushmaster ACR with fixed stock are not Assault Weapons. They are not copies of the firearms listed in PS § § 5-101(R)(2) nor do they fail the features test of CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i).

The HK MR556A1 falls within a gray area. The question is whether it is a copy of a Colt AR15? If the answer is yes then it is a banned Assault Weapon. There is some design commonality and parts commonality between the two. The answer here is – maybe.

The FN Scars, as configured from the factory, do IMO fail the features test set forth in CL § 4-301 (e)(1)(i). They unquestionably have folding stock. The question is whether the PWS muzzle devise is a “flash suppressor” WITHIN THE MEANING OF MARYLAND LAW. The fact that the manufactures calls it a comp is immaterial. CL § 4-301(g) defines flash suppressor as follows: "Flash suppressor" means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.

The PWS muzzle devise on the Scar does reduce flash to some extent. Also it does redirect flash to the side. Absent any guidance from the MSP on this subject, you should operate on the assumption the Scar’s muzzle devise is a “flash suppressor” within the meaning of the Code. Consequently, the Scar, as configured from the factory, is a banned Assault Weapon.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks!! Very helpful.

I am leaning towards an ACR now, but was wondering if I ordered the fixed stock ACR and the folding stock part separately, would I be violating the law if I put the folding stock part onto my ACR after I bought it?

Only if you put a flash hider on it as well.

-Jim

exocorp

Nov 1, 2013
    Rockville
    A2 birdcage-type hider to control muzzle flash

Bushmaster says the basic one has the above... and I think under suppressor definitions this would include it.

:/

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    To exocorp and all the others just discovering the new gun laws. Are you registered to vote? Have you contacted your state representatives and voiced your displeasure? Have you joined MSI? What are you doing to turn this train around?

Many of the people on this forum have been fighting hard for your rights for a long time, this law would have been much worse without their efforts. As every gun owner discovers the problems this law creates it is time they stepped up and shoulder some of the burden. If you had been aware you and others may have been enough to turn the tide. Wake up, spread the word to other gun owners, and get involved politically the next legislative session and the next election will be critical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom