• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I just ordered a PF940C and looking forward to getting started. Going to build it with Zev slide and barrel.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I just set a personal record for completing a P80 frame just now. 27 minutes from opening the box to getting the last pin driven in!

End-nipping wire cutters are THE absolute fastest way to get the rail blockers cut off, BTW. End cutters, then clean the flash with a exacto knife, and finish with 1000 grit aluminum oxide.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I just set a personal record for completing a P80 frame just now. 27 minutes from opening the box to getting the last pin driven in!

End-nipping wire cutters are THE absolute fastest way to get the rail blockers cut off, BTW. End cutters, then clean the flash with a exacto knife, and finish with 1000 grit aluminum oxide.
    Any more planned? I'd love to watch your 27 minute video before I dig in on my frames.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    All you had to do was say the word, I have a bit of free time before I get back to work.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone got a line on a Glock 22 upper? Hoping for something, especially with President's day weekend.

Would love to pick one up but the ~$350 they are going for online is a little steep (especially when you see deals on entire used G22s for $299).

Would like to be at 3 bills or under. Missed the $299 Centerfire deal :mad54:

Dont need lower parts kit included but wont complain if they are there for the right price...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For you folks doing this may I ask what the average cost seems to be?

I really want to do one but I am having a really hard time justifying this. As y’all know I can get discounted glocks and after build it seems most of these are past MSRP. I really wanna build one just to do it but I don’t think I can justify 200-300 over a glock price for an hour build lol.

Yes I get the point behind an 80% build and no registration blah blah but that isn’t a concern. I really just wanna build one cuz it’s interesting a cool to me.

Maybe if y’all have a build party I’ll ask to tag along so I can feel like a built one

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Any more planned? I'd love to watch your 27 minute video before I dig in on my frames.
    If you google YT vids, there are a few out there that illustrate this method... seems like a viable and simple way with no special tools. :thumbsup:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

I really want to do one but I am having a really hard time justifying this. As y’all know I can get discounted glocks and after build it seems most of these are past MSRP. I really wanna build one just to do it but I don’t think I can justify 200-300 over a glock price for an hour build lol.

Yes I get the point behind an 80% build and no registration blah blah but that isn’t a concern. I really just wanna build one cuz it’s interesting a cool to me.
    I doubt the prices will come down, demand is high and.....

I built my early G19's when prices were reasonable. They were on par with buying new, but now that is no longer possible with the price of slides, parts, etc... it just don't add up anymore.

You may try GB or similar and look for a used gun, see if the seller will just keep the frame and send the rest to you. It's probably the only way to get the parts needed for a fair price.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie

Maybe if y’all have a build party I’ll ask to tag along so I can feel like a built one

Yeah, cheapest route seems to be building a Glock 22 with used Glock parts, because of all of the used police guns on the secondary market now.

Price to build a used gun is anywhere from $100-200 more than just buying the used gun itself (when you see $299-350 complete G22s online). So vendors are pretty much cleaning up - selling parts of the gun for more than the entire gun without the hassle of selling a firearm.

9mm guns are even worse because the demand is higher.

The economics of it don't really make sense right now but it's a fun project. I can also say that I genuinely like the feel of the P80 frames over the Glock frames as well...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I doubt the prices will come down, demand is high and.....
    Price is a function of supply and demand. Once we see another couple companies enter the market, prices will drop considerably. We're in the early days of things now.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Price is a function of supply and demand. Once we see another couple companies enter the market, prices will drop considerably. We're in the early days of things now.

If kids are bringing them to school are you still comfortable saying early days? I want to pick one up to put in my pile of "Projects".

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Right now, Midway USA is at about $550 for everything minus sights and a magazine if you buy the factory frame and slide parts kits and a swenson slide and barrel. The key is to buy when stuff goes on sale and you can probably knock close to $100 off that.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Right now, Midway USA is at about $550 for everything minus sights and a magazine if you buy the factory frame and slide parts kits and a swenson slide and barrel. The key is to buy when stuff goes on sale and you can probably knock close to $100 off that.

Thats honestly not that bad. Of course, I always end up pimping my builds out so the budget goes out the window :lol2:

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I'm getting ready to build P940Cv1. Decided against the Zev slide, too many reviews indicating they don't work well on the Poly80 frame so I'm going to go with the Brownells slide and Glock factory internals for this first one. I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with this build but it's clear I'm not going to save any money doing it. But I get to pick the parts and experience building it and in the end come out ahead over buying new and replacing all the parts, unless of course I were to sell the takeoffs but I'd never do that.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I've watched a bunch of vids on YouTube on how to build these and best way I saw to remove the rails was to score with razor knife a few times and they snap off pretty clean with minimal sanding. The end snip pilers looks like a good option too with just a bit more sanding required. I'm going to try both ways and see what works best.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm getting ready to build P940Cv1. Decided against the Zev slide, too many reviews indicating they don't work well on the Poly80 frame so I'm going to go with the Brownells slide and Glock factory internals for this first one. I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with this build but it's clear I'm not going to save any money doing it. But I get to pick the parts and experience building it and in the end come out ahead over buying new and replacing all the parts, unless of course I were to sell the takeoffs but I'd never do that.
    That's how I approach it as well. I decide what I want in each piece for a given need and custom build the pistol with no parts left over when it's all done. Cheaper, probably not, but it's just the way I want it and the experience of building, assembling, troubleshooting, etc.. is invaluable.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I did mine with a Glock 19 slide and barrel but added a Zev trigger and bought some night sights that I have yet to put on. I got the frame on sale for $99 in FDE. I spent about $800 but I built it, so it was worth it. Besides, I didn't have to get an HQL, so I broke even ;) BTW, the trigger is sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom