• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Any thoughts on Blackhawk serpa? Would prefer my lcp in appendix carry, but will never keep one in the hole out of fear in aiwb. Thinking about serpa for glock 26 as I travel thru WV, VA, and NC for a trip soon. I have NH non-resident so I can conceal in those states. Would maybe feel comfortable with one in the hole with a level two holster like the serpa. I imagine serpa will be open carry. Any thoughts or other level 2 ideas?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It appears too many people with Berettas and Glocks lack trigger discipline to use Serpas. If I can remember to find it, I'm switching out the Serpa for an Omnivore, since my 3-gun pistols have rails. Maybe next month at Peacemaker.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I use a serpa almost daily. They’re nice holsters, and the draw from them is smooth. If you’re gonna do IWB I’d recommend a crossbreed. I wear my sig p290rs in the small of my back in a crossbreed, and I’ve never even had close to a problem. I always carry one in the pipe.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I carry a glock 33 in an on your 6 kydex minimalist holster. Just in front of hip bone. 12 hrs day. Before that a 27 and i would mix in a shield 45 or 9. Same style holster. Comfortable, invisible under sweater in winter, silk shirt or t in warmer weather. I am 6’ 190#. Gun is very secure unless i am dancing the back flip. Don’t think the brand for these makes much diff. Have been very satisfied. Easy on and off. Usually $28-34.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Serpa has the best "paddle" of any paddle holster I've ever seen. Big and stable with those 2 meaty hooks that secure under the bottom of the belt.

Just remember that on the draw, your trigger finger is not meant to "push" that button in. The finger is meant to be pointing straight down and slides/swipes over the top. If that finger is curved, pressing that button in, the natural progression will be for that finger tip to go immediately inside the trigger guard on the trigger. That's a no no.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Serpa has the best "paddle" of any paddle holster I've ever seen. Big and stable with those 2 meaty hooks that secure under the bottom of the belt.

Just remember that on the draw, your trigger finger is not meant to "push" that button in. The finger is meant to be pointing straight down and slides/swipes over the top. If that finger is curved, pressing that button in, the natural progression will be for that finger tip to go immediately inside the trigger guard on the trigger. That's a no no.

And it has enough flex to be comfortable when sitting/driving or bending at the waist. Nice benefit to us skinny guys. Only downside was it would ever so slightly shift - but that may due to me being a scrawny bastard.

Used one for a while, but found the Safariland 6378 ALS was almost ideal for me. Never had an issue tripping the release with my thumb when going from the holster, doesn't shift, and definitely won't come off w/out some effort.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Get a Safariland ALS instead and thank me later.

I went from an issued Blackhawk level 3 to an issued ALS level 3 and right back to the Blackhawk. I hated that thing, turned it back in to supply and got another Blackhawk.

By the same token, I work with guys who love the ALS and hate the Blackhawk.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I went from an issued Blackhawk level 3 to an issued ALS level 3 and right back to the Blackhawk. I hated that thing, turned it back in to supply and got another Blackhawk.

By the same token, I work with guys who love the ALS and hate the Blackhawk.

Level 3, that the hooded one? (I'm lazy today, haven't looked it up...)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OK, think I can see why you disliked it then.

The 6378 is just a lvl II ALS, and the draw/release on that has been great for me. Bought the Guard add-on, used it twice and took it right back off.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    OK, think I can see why you disliked it then.

The 6378 is just a lvl II ALS, and the draw/release on that has been great for me. Bought the Guard add-on, used it twice and took it right back off.

Yep, the guard sucks on the ALS level 3. The Blackhawk has the hood but with the Blackhawk the hood release is a paddle lever that is in a natural position for when you grip the pistol. You don't even notice the hood release, simply grip and draw. (Your thumb naturally sweeps the hood release)

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Get a Safariland ALS instead and thank me later.

Yup. Department issues a Blackhawk Serpa and I hated it. Its clunky, the release button require pressure on your trigger finger (and in stress could lead to excess pressure while releasing, leading to finger on trigger) and it sits far off my hip. I bought my own Safariland ALS and love it. Fits closer to my body, thumb break doesn't lead to any muscle memory issues or accidentally pressure on the trigger finger.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yup. Department issues a Blackhawk Serpa and I hated it. Its clunky, the release button require pressure on your trigger finger (and in stress could lead to excess pressure while releasing, leading to finger on trigger) and it sits far off my hip. I bought my own Safariland ALS and love it. Fits closer to my body, thumb break doesn't lead to any muscle memory issues or accidentally pressure on the trigger finger.
    The trigger finger IS NOT an issue if you were taught properly from your agency on the use. I explained it above. The flat part of your finger simply glides over. The finger tip does not press it in. That leads to the finger on the trigger during the draw.
    Practice is key which most people don't do.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Safariland ALS or Crossbreed, depending on the carry type. Both are easy, effective, and secure.

Crossbreed has a new leather owb series that is very nice too.

TD

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Went with a cya supply iwb. Open carry is not going to be my preferred route...I'm learning a lot on here and gaining confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom