• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Newbie question: Just bought first gun, SA XD 9mm. In addition to a basic cleaning kit, what gun oil is recommended by this experienced group? What other basic supplies are recommended?

Thanks,

Dave

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Newbie question: Just bought first gun, SA XD 9mm. In addition to a basic cleaning kit, what gun oil is recommended by this experienced group? What other basic supplies are recommended?

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.realgunreviews.com/whats-really-in-gun-cleaners-lube/

Here you go. It doesn't matter what you use. This study debunks the need for "gun specific oil."

There are also videos by a man named "Clandestine," who teaches AR-15 builds. In the videos he used motor oil and brake grease. I trust his knowledge.

Save your $$ for ammo.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm in the same boat -- newbie.

Will actually pick up my pistol Friday.

Feel free to PM me to trade notes on what I have gotten so far. Not just cleaning but other stuff like: snap caps, range bag, chamber flags, gun safe, eyes and ears, non-MD magazines, ammo, bore snake, ballistol, targets, locks for the bag, etc., etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ohhhhhh Noooooooo ! Not so soon again

Massively oversimplified:

Cleaner/ lubricant / protectant is inherently an over reach . Have *somthing* to clean, AND * somthing* to lubricate . Until you are contemplating long term storage, or extremely corrosive environments, don't worry about Preservatives beyond light coating of ( lubricant of you choice).

Meanwhile, Dawnad seems well equipped. Anything not already listed is either trivial, or very niche for situations probably not run across soon.

Except , no mention of a holster . Even if you don't think you need a holster, you need at least a very basic holster .

Holsters for even semi-serious carry are a subject ( of much vigorous debate) in itself . But for most basic " just because ", the basic nylon holsters from Uncle Mike and Blackhawk are both very inexpensive ( think $20-ish) , and well made examples of their type .

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    I picked up some snap caps, eyes and ears. Bore snake is on the buy list. I plan to use the case in came in for initial range time. Got a single coded gun safe for father's day. Oh yeah, ammo.

Questions: What is ballistol?

The special "deal" on the SA XD until end of August is 4 free magazines and a holster.

Thanks for the input Drawnad and Biggfoot44,

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And over cleaning is the cause of more gun damage that any amount of shooting.

I check over a new gun, lube it, shoot it. And shoot it, and shoot it, etc.

They occasionally clean it. Even shooting a LOT, maybe once a year. DEFINITELY not every range trip.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    wait a friggin minute!

Good to know, thanks. I probably would have spent an hour on the range and 4 hours cleaning each time.

you mean to tell me by your post that you also do not change your oil in your car every time you drive to the store????!!! The horror :D:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And over cleaning is the cause of more gun damage that any amount of shooting.

I check over a new gun, lube it, shoot it. And shoot it, and shoot it, etc.

They occasionally clean it. Even shooting a LOT, maybe once a year. DEFINITELY not every range trip.

^^^this

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Good to know, thanks. I probably would have spent an hour on the range and 4 hours cleaning each time.

:thumbsup: You're not in Boot Camp and no one is going to inspect for the tiniest flake of carbon. Took me decades to get over that.

Use any standard gun oil to start and then try things as you get the urge. If it's Hoppe's Oil or CLP, it's "good enough" to get you started. It won't cause excessive wear. "Best" is debatable, you can be your own judge.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Note that it is used to put on bicycle and motorcycle grips because it evaporates away and leaves them tight on the handlebar by the next day. Ain't no lubing going on after a couple of hours. It also leaves a "varnish" on things.

If you shoot cast bullets check for leading of the bore and brush it out.

You'll develop your own routine and preferred stuff over time. Don't get bullied or buy into advertising hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom