• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Good morning everyone. A buddy and co worker of mine called me about a problem that he’s having that I’ve never encountered. He has a Hawke scope with lighted reticle on his new 26 Nosler rifle. While wearing electronic ear muffs, he says that as he starts to shoulder the rifle, he gets frequency interference noise in his headset. The closer his head gets to the rifle, the worse it gets. He said when he fires the rifle, the scope blurs out for a few seconds and looks all distorted. After a few times of it, he switched to non electronic ear muffs and the scope was perfectly fine. Put the electronic ear muffs back on, problem came back. And it happens whether the lighted reticle is turned on or off. I haven’t met up with him yet to see it first hand. Anyone ever encounter this?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Copy all.

Take him on a longish ride. Put him out at least three miles from his home.

If he finds his way home, DO NOT “date” him ever again...

Seriously, that weird. He needs to try new ear pro. Or just turn it off. Also need to try same ear pro and not run the red dot..eg no electronics ON in the scope.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    What brand is his hearing protection? Also, has he tried turning the volume down in the electronic hearing protection or off see if the problem goes away?

Q

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    What brand is his hearing protection? Also, has he tried turning the volume down in the electronic hearing protection or off see if the problem goes away?

Q

He didn’t try changing volume on headset. The brand is Caldwell.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Copy all.

Take him on a longish ride. Put him out at least three miles from his home.

If he finds his way home, DO NOT “date” him ever again...

Seriously, that weird. He needs to try new ear pro. Or just turn it off. Also need to try same ear pro and not run the red dot..eg no electronics ON in the scope.

It does it with the lighted reticle on or off (sorry if I didn’t state that in my initial post). When using non electronic ear muffs, it doesn’t do it. We’re just wondering what is causing it and WHY.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    It sounds like RFI interference between the diode driver and the circuitry in the earmuffs. I wonder if the scope or the earmuffs could be shielded to mitigate the problem. Maybe you could see if aluminum foil wrapped around the scope or part of the earmuffs holding circuitry would help.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I’m going to try my Walker Razors and Howard Leights and see if it does it. I would’ve thought with the popularity of electronic ear muffs, this would’ve been a more common thing.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    He may want to put a single layer of tinfoil in the earcup that houses the circuit board if it is accessible. Test it without the rifle to see if there is no interference or noise by itself. Then try it with the riflescope on, and rifle unloaded. See what happens.

Q

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just knew tinfoil would contribute to a solution.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

Attachments

• ohms-law-formula-wheel.png
      ohms-law-formula-wheel.png
      8.3 KB · Views: 137

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sounds like they are operating on similar frequencies. Aluminum foil trick as mentioned sounds like a good measure. Internally within the muffs, if access may be gained without damaging them, line the ear cups with the foil. You may also try wrapping the internal module and all wiring in foil then connecting the foil to the ground side of the circuit. Might just try different electronic hearing protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom