• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokeeater09

Apr 22, 2016
    Charles County, Md
    I guess destroying the target stands at Myrtle Grove no longer presents a challenge. Visiting this afternoon, I noticed they've now started on the new vertical baffle columns. It really, really chaps my ass that a few have absolutely no respect for the other shooters who visit the Grove on a regular basis, abide by the regulations, and are thankful we have a place to shoot!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I guess destroying the target stands at Myrtle Grove no longer presents a challenge. Visiting this afternoon, I noticed they've now started on the new vertical baffle columns. It really, really chaps my ass that a few have absolutely no respect for the other shooters who visit the Grove on a regular basis, abide by the regulations, and are thankful we have a place to shoot!

If you look at the new collumns, there is actually a V-shaped steel deflector underneath the wooden planking. I was out there when the range was back open for maybe a week and people already managed to shoot the wooden planking to hell.

I watched how this happens. One gentleman was shooting from a standing position at a target stand that was not centered. With the downward trajectory, all his rounds were hitting the dirt right at the bottom of a column. I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed it out to him and he changed his shooting position. Some just don't know, but it sure looks like there are folks who intentionally destroy stuff.

TripN KniveZ

Jun 12, 2017
    Accokeek
    Guests?

I'm new to the area and just got my range permit for the season. Is there a rule about guests or do guests need to purchase a separate permit?

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I'm new to the area and just got my range permit for the season. Is there a rule about guests or do guests need to purchase a separate permit?

A Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range Permit is required for all users age 18 and older. Users under 18 years old must have a Hunter Safety Certificate and be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older who has a valid Range Permit.

If your shooting you need a permit.:)

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    A Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range Permit is required for all users age 18 and older. Users under 18 years old must have a Hunter Safety Certificate and be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older who has a valid Range Permit.

If your shooting you need a permit.:)

$5 for the day

This and This, the only thing i would add is try to go during the week weekends can be busy

Last edited:

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    It's EMPTY right now boys, come on by!!!
    LOL, my drawers are wet!

Don't know if you can see the rain pouring down!

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_124238364.jpg
      IMG_20201029_124238364.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 458

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I grew up a few miles up the road but I don’t think I shot there since I was a teenager. Looks like some upgrades have been made since the early 90s.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I grew up a few miles up the road but I don’t think I shot there since I was a teenager. Looks like some upgrades have been made since the early 90s.

It was shutdown forever for the " improvements" yet a simple roof was not added.
    2"+ of water at back on concrete.
    Hole in boot at 1 1/2" mark!
    Refreshing!

Could've used a kayak to swap targets.

Still had a great time!

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I've heard nothing but terrible things about that place.

It is a public shooting range that serves a very large number of people. In a very anti gun state that would be just as happy to get rid of it completely.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    During the week its not a bad place really. Weekends can be like the wild west at times though.

Agreed but also a reflection on society. 30 years ago myself and many family friends went there almost every weekend. They allowed FA and had a few regulars with M60. Everyone was safe,polite and respectful of each other....great times. Last time I was there a few weeks ago I could hear them fighting and arguing over the mag dumps and I was on the Shotgun Range.
    I still buy a permit every year to support it though...if just for the memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom