• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honeybadger

Feb 8, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Late 70's and early 80's there wasn't a kid in my group that didn't have a rocket catalog in our pockets. I had a arsenal of Canadian Rockets (I grew up on the boarder) painted in red/white with the Maple leaf. We had Fracking Battlestar Galactica Vipers (till there was a fracking accident lucky the fire went out by the time we got there). It was a great hobby. The only Russian Rocket was the SCUD.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    Rockets are fun and kids love to retrieve them when they land. If you're near Bethesda, WMAL (antenna) field is huge and great for rocket launching.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Really? That's bs, launched there for years , never a problem.

Agreed. If that's an active county code, it is never enforced. A group of us launched in Silver Spring and Wheaton for years, up to a few thousand feet. We always got FAA clearance beforehand, since some of the rockets were five to six feet tall with E engines. There were never any questions about a permit. The MoCo police who frequented the nearby parking lot during lunch didn't give a hoot.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I built the more complex models( space shuttle,SR71,gliders etc)when I was young but my son is not a modeller and was bored with them by 10. I must say that Sons of Guns has inspired me with a few of their projects. Maybe a law or bazooka would be cool.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I played with rockets as a kid, and have done it with my kids a couple times. I have yet to ever get a two stage rocket back. For me at least, two C engines in a small rockets means out of sight and gone. I would need a homing beacon to get it back.

As a kid, I had a payload rocket. It always surprised me how well critters with exoskeletons handle G forces... :innocent0

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    As a kid, I had a payload rocket. It always surprised me how well critters with exoskeletons handle G forces... :innocent0

Did the same here with the Estes Xray and C engines. Those critters you speak of always seemed to come back alive and well. Should have tried it with worms.:D

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yeeeessssssss ! Man did I cut many yards of grass as a kid to run down to the local department store to buy a box full of rockets to build and where they ended up who knows, but it was a repeat every week.

I actually looked at some rocket kits about a year ago. I saw the current prices and said, "well, it use to be fun and the prices are not reigniting my interest today". The prices of rocket kits and engines is ridiculous these days. What we paid for them 25 years ago was a few bucks a kit, now, they are like $12.00 for the same little 8" rockets (maybe even more now). Had a blast with rockets, but, the cost for the hobby today does nothing for me. I had no idea cardboard was so expensive now.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I got to play with rockets for five years while in the Army. That's for picking up the tab.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340837999429.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1340837999429.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 595
    • uploadfromtaptalk1340838014239.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1340838014239.jpg
      5.8 KB · Views: 597

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Yeeeessssssss ! Man did I cut many yards of grass as a kid to run down to the local department store to buy a box full of rockets to build and where they ended up who knows, but it was a repeat every week.

I actually looked at some rocket kits about a year ago. I saw the current prices and said, "well, it use to be fun and the prices are not reigniting my interest today". The prices of rocket kits and engines is ridiculous these days. What we paid for them 25 years ago was a few bucks a kit, now, they are like $12.00 for the same little 8" rockets (maybe even more now). Had a blast with rockets, but, the cost for the hobby today does nothing for me. I had no idea cardboard was so expensive now.

Here is where I got my rockets and engines.

http://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom