• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Anyone ever hike the "Georgia Loop"?

AT -> Duncan Ridge -> Benton MacKaye -> AT = ~57.1 miles over 4 days (bank 2 for rest/travel there/back ~11hrs each way so tack a day on each end for travel = 6 day trip). Means you're crushing 14mi a day (Maybe less on Duncan if you can hump it more on the wider AT).

Thinking about doing this in Nov.

Obviously, this is in GA.

Physically, it is within limits based on my fitness level and past backcountry experience. Obviously have to go light (shelter, insulation 25-70 expected, food, water processing/storage, booze.....basically minimal "creature comforts").

Insights?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My wife and her friend Jessica just did 65 miles in 5 days (with 10,500' elevation gain) on the Colorado Trail, so your trip is definitely doable. They each carried about 45 pounds, although I met them 1/2 way through the hike and gave them more food so they didn't carry the full 5 days of food.

What kind of stove do you use? My wife carried my Vargo titanium hex stove. It weighs next to nothing, folds down to nothing, and uses any twigs or pine cones you find for fuel so you don't have to carry a butane canister.

I tried to get them to use a tarp for shelter but they wanted a tent so they used my GoLite Shangri-La 2 shelter.

They saw a large black bear, three moose, and had a mountain lion screaming near their tent one night. My wife isn't a gun person so she carried bear spray. Jessica is ex-army and had a Ruger GP100.
    c401ccb10bc4325e33c21980afabcae8.jpg
    0c84e81b6d3ae9e6fa12abb1060e5892.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom