• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've never owned a Marlin. I know they have their fan-base, but I've always been a Remington .22 guy when it comes to that caliber in rifles. I saw a JC Penney branded Marlin 20 at one of the LGSs the other day for $169. In pretty good shape. The squirrel is a little worn on the left hand side of the stock, but the flutes are still good and the right hand squirrel is probably 97% (left is 75-80%) No rust, only a few dings in the furniture. Couldn't see the bore since it was zip-tied closed, but give the light wear on everything else, I'd say it's likely good. What say you oh C&R experts!? Is it worth that much, or is it pushing it? I'm used to spending from $75-$135 for the bulk of the .22s out there, but haven't bought one in about 5 years, so maybe prices have gone up? Thoughts?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you really like it, an extra $34 is a non issue.

I say buy it and don't look back.

PS: Older Marlins are really well made firearms.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm going to make an assumption that this is a private branded Marlin M25 , also known as Glenfield M20 . ie a fairly generic sporting grade clip fed .22 bolt action, as opposed to a Marlin No 20 from 1907-1922 .

Taking generic shooting grade .22lr bolt rifles as a class , they typically are $100-150 depending upon condition and how motivated the LGS wants to turn over inventory. Guesstimating over the internet w/o pics , this one seems a bit on the high end .

But do you*Like* it? $20 is two fast food meals .

Offer $150 .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm going to make an assumption that this is a private branded Marlin M25 , also known as Glenfield M20 . ie a fairly generic sporting grade clip fed .22 bolt action, as opposed to a Marlin No 20 from 1907-1922 .

Correct. It's a JC Penney sold, Marlin-branded Marlin-Glenfield Model 20.

I "need" a mag or tube-fed .22 bolt action and this would fit the bill. Currently, all my .22 rifles are single-shot (multiple Remington Model 33s, Mossberg 321, etc.) and I'm hoping to go squirrel hunting this winter (on the ground obviously). Thought this might fit the bill and satisfy my love of older arms simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom