• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It gets worse. Haven't been in a few years, but that stupid state won't let a bartender pour you a good healthy drink. All liquor is(was?) sold per the miniature bottle, period. Bourbon on the rocks was one little miniature in a glass with a ton of ice. You want it strong? Buy two bottles. Started drinking Bourbon & Coke just to fill the glass (Coke was free BTW). A $7.00 decently strong Jim Beam the way a friendly bartender here would make it still costs $7.00, here. There it would cost $21.00. Don't even try a Long Island Ice Tea (7 different types of alcohol, pay for all 7 little bottles). Think it cost like $35 or so 10 years ago.

Don't go anymore, used to go for golf every year. Now with the gun laws deteriorating as stated, I have even less reason to go back. Thanks for the tip.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For those wondering what states they honor, look here: http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

South Carolina doesn't recognize ANY non-resident permit.
    The biggest way to rectify this is to deny their permit in other carry friendly states. Makes the concealed carriers of the state have a vested interest in seeking reciprocity. That is if folks from there ever make it out of state.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    SC can do whatever they want. I celebrate WV when they said flat out, 'Concealed Carry and Open Carry is a Constitutional right under the 2nd Amendment (and a god given right)'. My guess is that SC isn't far behind WV, they just don't know it yet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gun laws in South Carolina aren't * deteriorating* , they are stuck in a time warp .

SC passed Shall Issue in 1996 . By mid '90s standards , this was great stuff .

For perspective , the mid '90s period of 1994-96 was the turning point of CCW in the US . Went from 20 states being Shall Issue . It increased 50% , and cross the tipping point to be majority of the States, and a common thing.

But Reciprosity and Non-Resident Permits were in their infancy , and Open Carry was an uncommon fringe thing ( outside of traditional hunting related, or out in the woods). Since then, the state of gun rights has been continually moving foreward. Reciprocity has become huge . Non-Resident Permits didn't quite keep pace, but are decently represented . OC and Permitless carry now , are where Shall Issue CCW was in early '90s .

Except South Carolina . They remain unchanged back in 1996 , while every other state in their Region has continued to improve . Would 1996 South Carolina be a major improvement over 2017 Maryland ? You betcha ! Is South Carolina keeping with current trends in Gun Freedoms Laws in Free America ? Saddly not ? Hopeless ? No. The Permitless Bill introduced in 2017 would leapfrog to solve many of the shortcomings . Is the best 2A approach to the SC state legislature to improve various aspects of current Permit scheme, or to totally change ? I don't know what is "best" , but the SC gun rights advocate continue to focus on home run or nothing, instead of a series of on based Singles . Are they correct ? I don't know, I'm not there on they ground dealing with SC politicians.

Meanwhile at South Carolina and booze :
    The above account of miniatures being served at bars, reminds me of another memory of family vacation as a yute ( before I was old enough to drink , but Dad enjoyed his).

Where we passed thru ( basically along Rt 1 corridor) , one could not purchase a six pack or case of beer. You could but six or 12, or 24 physical beers, but it would be a single rung up 12 times rather than a 12 per se.

Inflation has taken place inbetween , but as I recall , the price of a single was favorable to the cost of a single served over the counter of a beer joint back in Md , but 6/ 12/ case prices a lot higher.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I have friends that live in SC , think it's great.

From the standpoint of * Residents * , they think they are reveling in Gun Freedoms. And they do have it pretty good .

BUT , their State Level 2A Groups have kept their focus on the people who live there, and not the big picture of interlocking Reciprocity. And without coordinated efforts by ALL 2A supporters, they have very uphill task to counter general governmental inertia, and a generally well respected state level LE Agency ( SLED ) that is channeling thier Inner Md State Police, when it comes to Gun Rights .

( Yeah, SC has yankee transplant and growth issues , but those are similar or less than in NC or Ga , where 2A groups see the bigger picture, and make cause on behalf of non-resident.

I forgot to mention that. SLED has a lot of sway with the legislature, and unfortunately oppose any efforts to expand reciprocity.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I think it simply boils down to "if it aint broke, don't try to fix it." Think of what happened in Pennsylvania under Kane. A bunch of non-resident permits were nixed. She is out of the picture and nothing has really changed. Why? It has little to no effect on residents and those who have resident permits from other states.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    It gets worse. Haven't been in a few years, but that stupid state won't let a bartender pour you a good healthy drink. All liquor is(was?) sold per the miniature bottle, period. Bourbon on the rocks was one little miniature in a glass with a ton of ice. You want it strong? Buy two bottles. Started drinking Bourbon & Coke just to fill the glass (Coke was free BTW). A $7.00 decently strong Jim Beam the way a friendly bartender here would make it still costs $7.00, here. There it would cost $21.00. Don't even try a Long Island Ice Tea (7 different types of alcohol, pay for all 7 little bottles). Think it cost like $35 or so 10 years ago.

Don't go anymore, used to go for golf every year. Now with the gun laws deteriorating as stated, I have even less reason to go back. Thanks for the tip.
    I remember that miniature bottles also, not that way now.....at least in Myrtle, Surfside, or Garden City. Go down for Myrtle Bike Week last couple of years, now they pour straight from the 5th or quart bottles.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Waiting on my SC non resident permit now. Going on 65+ days now. Reciprocity in 30+ states. Not PA or DE though.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I actually like SC and its on our short list of places to eventually retire. Although I would definitely take SC's gun laws over MD's they do currently stand as the armpit of the South East.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Why don't people pull a Texas and start open carrying long guns into Starbuck's there? Seems to be perfectly legal (if not douchey) and got the trick done in TX. May not help with NR CCW reciprocity, but would at least get handgun OC GTG.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Why don't people pull a Texas and start open carrying long guns into Starbuck's there? Seems to be perfectly legal (if not douchey) and got the trick done in TX. May not help with NR CCW reciprocity, but would at least get handgun OC GTG.

The Hell you say, don't you know that the "civil" way to carry is concealed and that if we just acquiesce everything will be rainbows and pots of gold?

Burn, heretic, burn.....

*This post approved by the Howard County Civility Commission*

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The Hell you say, don't you know that the "civil" way to carry is concealed and that if we just acquiesce everything will be rainbows and pots of gold?

Burn, heretic, burn.....

*This post approved by the Howard County Civility Commission*

Not only civil, but smart. If the only legal option is open carry, so be it then. In PA many only had that option, but those that could conceal just wanted to show off, which is their right. Open carry a rifle around town is nonsense. A guy open carrying in Charlottesville is in the slammer for drawing and firing. So many attested that no one fired a shot but it is now out on video. Wait for that news to completely sink in to the left as more to ban open carry. (yes he could of done the same in concealment.. not the point to open carry banners)

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

Fortunately, the mini bottle law was repealed by voters in 2005.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Relax your sphincters. It will take time to undo all of the damage caused to SC from the yankee carpetbaggers and their 'reconstruction' policies.
    Like all the 'jim crow' laws, which were a yankee initiative. A lot of the things which were difficult to understand were directly correlated to the 'punish them' mentality. After the state was bankrupted and raided financially to less than nothing, everything and anything was taxed to pay the union. Like insane taxes on liquor and washing powder.
    How easy is it to get a resident permit in MD? Right. Remove the beam from thine own eye.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    true story, if many only knew what Charleston looks like now. The locals cant stand how many out of state people are moving in and trying to change things at an alarming rate.

Sounds like Iowa.

Between Google coming in with a huge building, and now Apple, sprinkled with a whole lot of illegal immigrants working in the packing plants, the demographic is completely changing.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Taking it back further, some of the contradictions inside South Carolina can be traced back to where the ruling classes came from. This is common throughout states that share both tidewater and Appalachian regions. I strongly recommend "Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America" by David Hackett Fisher as good bathroom reading. Those who colonized the coast and prospered came from the south of England. Those who settled the Piedmont and highlands were Scotch Irish and Border Reivers. That's a high energy mix. Something's gonna happen. Add to that the modern diaspora of yankee sociaists and visitors from South of The Border Way and there's going to confusing things going on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It gets worse. Haven't been in a few years, but that stupid state won't let a bartender pour you a good healthy drink. All liquor is(was?) sold per the miniature bottle, period.

Hmm, standard bar shot in the US is 37-44 ml. A miniature is 50 ml.

So a miniature is BIGGER than a standard shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom