• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I wonder what happens to all silencers in atf prison, IF this passes...

your money is refunded, and can immediately pick it up.

Yeah, I have a good imagination ;)

I thought I read someplace (here?) that the ATF was planning just this, they wanted to have in place some policy revisions so they could quickly and orderly relieve themselves of the logistics of it all. Its pretty obvious silencers/suppressors should have never even been on that list in the first place and its been a nightmare trying to enforce and keep up with all the paperwork.

I sincerely hope this passes and without much fan-fare. When it does, I predict there will be a lot more innovation coming out in this arena. A lot of gun clubs will be less stressed with the threat of closure by nearby communities that don't like the excessive noise. Instead of annual 'suppressor shoot days', everyday will be suppressor friendly.

I believe suppressors are already required for hunting in some countries; its also the polite thing to do.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    sssshhhhhh

I thought I read someplace (here?) that the ATF was planning just this, they wanted to have in place some policy revisions so they could quickly and orderly relieve themselves of the logistics of it all. Its pretty obvious silencers/suppressors should have never even been on that list in the first place and its been a nightmare trying to enforce and keep up with all the paperwork.

I sincerely hope this passes and without much fan-fare. When it does, I predict there will be a lot more innovation coming out in this arena. A lot of gun clubs will be less stressed with the threat of closure by nearby communities that don't like the excessive noise. Instead of annual 'suppressor shoot days', everyday will be suppressor friendly.

I believe suppressors[/I][/I] are already required for hunting in some countries; its also the polite thing to do.

Elmer Fudd approves.

Attachments

• wabbits.jpg
      wabbits.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 698

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe suppressors are already required for hunting in some countries; its also the polite thing to do.

IIRC, UK is one such country

I also remember reading that suppressors are cash and carry in UK and Ireland. Actually easier to buy than the firearm. :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Blame Al Capone and his mobsters. In the prohibition era, they were the only people who could afford the fancy gear (machine guns, and silencers). Not only could they afford them, they were used quite often. :innocent0

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Blame Al Capone and his mobsters. In the prohibition era, they were the only people who could afford the fancy gear (machine guns, and silencers). Not only could they afford them, they were used quite often. :innocent0
    Suppressors were actually quite cheap then, and criminals were rarely if ever documented with them. There were two reasons the NFA included them: one, poaching game in the off season to offset the price controls FDR put on meat which were starving some families, and two, suppressed rifles (as well as MG's) are effective in putting up a fight against a hostile force of superior numbers--FDR's minions enforcing his will upon the citizenry. In fact, the latter is the real reason for the NFA in total. FDR was doing some really evil s***, basically ordering a government takeover of everything, throwing out the Constitution, outlawing personal ownership of gold as to take total control of the money supply, etc. His economy policies exacerbated and prolonged the Great Depression--quite possibly deliberately so to make the population subservient to the federal government. It is clear that with the NFA he wanted to make the population completely at a disadvantage to the military as to be thus easily dominated. He wanted handguns to be listed on it as to insure an individual in public could be assuredly unable to resist threats of force by either criminals or government--that is the purpose of NY's Sullivan Law which just before becoming president he was governor thereof and purposefully vetoed its repeal.

If Hitler and Stalin weren't around at the time, FDR would have been easily seen for what he was and probably dealt with accordingly, and he should have been. By right he should have ended up like Moussolini dangling upside down from a meat pole.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Suppressors were actually quite cheap then, and criminals were rarely if ever documented with them. There were two reasons the NFA included them: one, poaching game in the off season to offset the price controls FDR put on meat which were starving some families, and two, suppressed rifles (as well as MG's) are effective in putting up a fight against a hostile force of superior numbers--FDR's minions enforcing his will upon the citizenry. In fact, the latter is the real reason for the NFA in total. FDR was doing some really evil s***, basically ordering a government takeover of everything, throwing out the Constitution, outlawing personal ownership of gold as to take total control of the money supply, etc. His economy policies exacerbated and prolonged the Great Depression--quite possibly deliberately so to make the population subservient to the federal government. It is clear that with the NFA he wanted to make the population completely at a disadvantage to the military as to be thus easily dominated. He wanted handguns to be listed on it as to insure an individual in public could be assuredly unable to resist threats of force by either criminals or government--that is the purpose of NY's Sullivan Law which just before becoming president he was governor thereof and purposefully vetoed its repeal.

If Hitler and Stalin weren't around at the time, FDR would have been easily seen for what he was and probably dealt with accordingly, and he should have been. By right he should have ended up like Moussolini dangling upside down from a meat pole.

wow, that sounds harsh. I don't know too much about FDR but from what I gather, many either loved or hated him, no in between.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I do hope that this issue eventually becomes law. I'm not holding my breath, but I am hoping that the Republican House, Senate and President Trump can get the legislation through Congress and signed by the President.
    Cal68

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

The downside of this legislation is that ranges will start to make them mandatory as you see in Europe. Just watch.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    wow, that sounds harsh. I don't know too much about FDR but from what I gather, many either loved or hated him, no in between.

Study up on him. If you are a progressive or liberal Democrat you will worship at his alter but if you have common sense, are Republican, Libertarian, or a conservative including Democrat you will see that many of today's problems have their roots in his administration. There are those who say he intentionally lead us into WW II.:sad20:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    The downside of this legislation is that ranges will start to make them mandatory as you see in Europe. Just watch.

When silencers aren't as heavily regulated, the demand for them will initially swell then subside once demand is met. At that point a new market equilibrium price will be apparent; I suspect cans will fall from costing nearly or over four figures into a more comfortable low three figures.

I see downsides to a suppressed range if the regulation passes and market factors force the prices downwards.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    When silencers aren't as heavily regulated, the demand for them will initially swell then subside once demand is met. At that point a new market equilibrium price will be apparent; I suspect cans will fall from costing nearly or over four figures into a more comfortable low three figures.

I see downsides to a suppressed range if the regulation passes and market factors force the prices downwards.

My argument isn't over the cost. I have 3 suppressors myself. I want them off of NFA because I like freedom. Making them mandatory is a step backwards.

Any ranges which capitulate on this are short-sighted. One things leftists are great at is incrementally pushing their agenda. They won't stop - that's why you fight everything.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Their prices will go up $200 bucks. Since we don't have to pay the ATF anymore they'll figure we'd be happy to pay the same amount for cash n carry.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Their prices will go up $200 bucks. Since we don't have to pay the ATF anymore they'll figure we'd be happy to pay the same amount for cash n carry.

But capitalism will keep prices down as competition between manufacturers escalates. Suppressors are so damned easy to make. If they still cost $1000 each you can buy a mill, a lathe and all the parts for 2 suppressors and STILL save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom