• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I sat there with my wife for hours as she did the TX hunter safety course. After completion you get a temporary TX hunter education card and number.
    Next go to Maryland DNR compass enroll/log in. Input all personal information. There is also a place to input certifications, this is where you put in your temporary TX hunter education number.
    Then add MD hunter license to cart. Checkout. Print your MD hunting license.

I don't need this info as Ive been hunting for years now and have had a hunters ed course...but its good info for the 17+yr olds that want to hunt and cant find a class or field day in MD Good luck folks and happy hunting!:thumbsup:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Bump, if you're running out of options for the Maryland Hunter Safety course &/or field day. This option is 100% online, requires no field day, costs only $20-$30, & you can get your MD Hunting Lucense the same day.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this is in fact legit. I moved from Pa->Va->Md and at some point my card was lost. Im not taking the course all over again and having to jump through Maryland's hoops so I took this route recently and everything went through and I passed the entire course in about 35 min.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just wanted to let everyone know that this is in fact legit. I moved from Pa->Va->Md and at some point my card was lost. Im not taking the course all over again and having to jump through Maryland's hoops so I took this route recently and everything went through and I passed the entire course in about 35 min.

most states keep records in the state you took your Hunters ed course. But glad it worked out for you just the same!:thumbsup:

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    This is the exact same course as the MD online hunters ed course. I know because I just took the Texas one literally 30 mins ago. I could not find a field day class for the Md one that I would be able to attend

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    This is the exact same course as the MD online hunters ed course. I know because I just took the Texas one literally 30 mins ago. I could not find a field day class for the Md one that I would be able to attend

Let us know if you have any trouble using the certificate from the Texas course to get your MD Hunting License.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    Went to Wallie Mart with my DNRid card and told the girl what I wanted and was out in less than 5 mins. This is a very easily exploited loophole ;)
    Total invested. 29.50 for the test and 52 for the license, duck stamp and migratory bird stamp with the license holder

Thumbs up!

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    :thumbsup:good to hear...makes it easy for those that cant get to the field day and want to hunt this season.

That's what made me mad. I took the MD course online about a year ago and could never find a field day close enough or on a day that I could actually make it to.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    I took the Texas course yesterday and got my license. It took me maby an hour with reading through some of the sections. I logged into DNR Compass from my home PC and put in the certificate # for the hunter safety class. Then went to Walmart an hour later and got my license!

This is awesome as that I could not find a field day that worked with my schedule or was not full.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I took the Texas course yesterday and got my license. It took me maby an hour with reading through some of the sections. I logged into DNR Compass from my home PC and put in the certificate # for the hunter safety class. Then went to Walmart an hour later and got my license!

This is awesome as that I could not find a field day that worked with my schedule or was not full.

Congrats and pass the word! I think the field day deters a lot of would be hunters...now get in the woods and kill some game!:D Good luck and be safe!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This is great news since I can never make the field days here in MD. My LGS said they would sell me a license just based on my age but I noticed that some state hunting areas require you to have a certificate. Used to hunt in 60's and 70's and want to start again but can't prove it for exception.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    This is great news since I can never make the field days here in MD. My LGS said they would sell me a license just based on my age but I noticed that some state hunting areas require you to have a certificate. Used to hunt in 60's and 70's and want to start again but can't prove it for exception.

Others have said it takes about an hour and around $29 for the online course...not a bad deal if you ask me...happy hunting and good luck!

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I went through the practice quiz's and used those as a check on what sections i needed to review. Took the sample exam and then just took the test. Passed, i thought it was pretty good info, the only section i really needed to go through page by page was the conservation section.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Thanks again for posting this. I can also confirm that this works. Entered my temporary TX certificate (printer when I completed the course) and entered that number into MD's Compass system to purchase a MD Adult Full Season license. :thumbsup:

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Mine was not $29, but $17 or $18. I already got my license with the temporary card, but got the official one in the mail the other day.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Did this today. Took a lot longer than 35 minutes though as one person said but then again I sat through each of the videos and did the quizzes (got about 5 wrong through the whole thing and 2 wrong on the final). Printed out my completion and then added the cert to my MD DNR profile. Paid my money to MD (total of 34.50) and to TX (18).

Works like a charm!!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

I used to hunt in the 70's and early 80's. Hunter safety was not required then. I couldn't find an old license, which I think is required to get a new one without a hunter safety certificate. This would be a good option for guys like us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom