• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I experienced something similar on the soccer field.....they couldnt get the net untangled. Coach came over and said, "I know you have a knife". I said sure and handed him my new Emerson.

When he brought it back it was covered in dirt and had grass on it. The stupid SOB used it to dig out a stake that was buried too deep and he couldnt pull it out.

UFB!

Another coach came over to me to borrow my knife, my microtech socom auto. I handed it to him and turned back around to continue the drill our girls were working on. Caught out of the corner of my eye him digging out the pockets for the bases so they would drop in all the way. I nearly flipped out. Went over to him and explained that it was a $400 knife and that knives are for cutting. He had no idea that knives cost more than $15 at Walmart. Lesson mine, I will never hand my good knives to anyone, if Jesus himself snags his robe on a thorn tree, No.

Not a knife... but once I loaned out my chainsaw to a neighbor; so he could cut down a tree for a above ground pool. Went over a couple of hours later to see the progress, and he complained that the chainsaw was not cutting well anymore. The chainsaw's bar/chain was covered in dirt because he was now trying to use it to cut the tree's roots out of the ground... :rolleyes:

Some people are absolutely stupid. And ignorant. :sad20:

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    Benchmade Contego clipped in my right pocket and a Dalton Battle Dragon on my left side. At work, Gerber's manual 06 plain blade, replaces Dalton.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Benchmade Contego clipped in my right pocket and a Dalton Battle Dragon on my left side. At work, Gerber's manual 06 plain blade, replaces Dalton.

I love my contego blade, materials, and lock, but hated the handle originally. Knocking down the high points to allow your thumb to ride on the blade, and knocking down that bump in the middle of the handle realllllllllllllly helps make it an entirely new knife.

Attachments

• IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 275

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    knife, usually a Benchmade mini griptillian and a streamlight protac 2aa are always clipped in my pockets. i have had plenty of people ask why i carry both, byt a few days later are asking to borrow one or the other

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I love my contego blade, materials, and lock, but hated the handle originally. Knocking down the high points to allow your thumb to ride on the blade, and knocking down that bump in the middle of the handle realllllllllllllly helps make it an entirely new knife.

Great custom-grind job smoke, the hump doesn't bother me but I'll certainly keep your idea in mind.:thumbsup:

jaybee

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• DSCN9404.jpg
      DSCN9404.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 261
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in Baltimore when I needed to get a copy of my DD214 from the MD Veteran's Administration. One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended the defund rally a few years back and realized I had time to stop and actually see the D.O.I, B.O.R., and US Con. in-person. One guess went into the trashcan outside the courthouse on Bosley Avenue in Towson when I got my marriage license. A couple other guesses into trash cans outside other buildings protected my metal detectors and armed guards. Post 9/11 BS. Cheap ones break or won't stay in the locked open position. Good ones that won't break or cut off your finger when the 'lock' fails are too expensive to trash when you realize you forgot to put your knife in the glove box and already paid the $20 parking and choose to lose the $15 knife instead of the $20 parking or walk 5 blocks each way to your car and back from the 'security checkpoint'.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in Baltimore when I needed to get a copy of my DD214 from the MD Veteran's Administration. One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended the defund rally a few years back and realized I had time to stop and actually see the D.O.I, B.O.R., and US Con. in-person. One guess went into the trashcan outside the courthouse on Bosley Avenue in Towson when I got my marriage license. A couple other guesses into trash cans outside other buildings protected my metal detectors and armed guards. Post 9/11 BS. Cheap ones break or won't stay in the locked open position. Good ones that won't break or cut off your finger when the 'lock' fails are too expensive to trash when you realize you forgot to put your knife in the glove box and already paid the $20 parking and choose to lose the $15 knife instead of the $20 parking or walk 5 blocks each way to your car and back from the 'security checkpoint'.

Sorry, but this brings to mind "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Fool me 5 times... I don't even know what that is!

I'm not perfect though - I've failed to plan a couple of times. First time, I just hid my knife around the back of the government building I was going into, then retrieved it when I was done. No sweat. Second time, I just walked the few blocks back to the car. Maybe I'd feel different if the knife in question was $15, but I'm not throwing away a Spyderco Manix 2.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'd love to carry expensive knives but I've lost at least four to TSA luggage checks, a couple to bodies of water, one down the side of a cliff, and several others to god knows what. Anything that's not both dependable and disposable is too expensive.

Here's my daily carry: https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-8700-Shuffle-Folding-Knife/dp/B00AU6NHVI/
    Complete with bottle opener and flathead screwdriver/glass breaker thing.

I also carry a tiny but bright LED flashlight. I use both daily.

I'm rather shocked at how few people carry knives... I'd feel naked without it. But then the majority of people I work with don't have a stash of drugs at their desk. I've given out a bottle's worth of ibuprofen and cold medicine in a few years here. I guess the boyscout ideal of being prepared just isn't a modern concept?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Sorry, but this brings to mind "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Fool me 5 times... I don't even know what that is!

I'm not perfect though - I've failed to plan a couple of times. First time, I just hid my knife around the back of the government building I was going into, then retrieved it when I was done. No sweat. Second time, I just walked the few blocks back to the car. Maybe I'd feel different if the knife in question was $15, but I'm not throwing away a Spyderco Manix 2.

I've only lost one to a checkpoint, and thankfully it was not very useful for anything more than a boxcutter or for string.

qwertee123

Choose Freedom
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2009
    Stuck in MoCo ...
    I will offer a 'guess' as to why more folks don't carry knives. About 5 guesses, actually. One guess went into a trash can outside the federal building in ... One guess went into a trash can outside the National Archives in DC when I attended ... One guess went into the trashcan outside ... A couple other guesses into trash cans ...

I've been in that situation a couple times.

I walk past my destination (beyond any exterior surveillance camera view) looking for a suitable "dead drop" location and then hide it while tying my shoe (e.g. in the ivy, bushes, curbside at base of a tree under some mulch). Come back and pick it up later.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Back when we were testifying against FSA2013, the security folks were directing people who had pocket knives out of the building. There was a small crowd of people milling about the foundation area of the building looking for a concealable place that wasn't already occupied with several pocket knives.

At least they weren't just grabbing them like the TSA bastards who wouldn't let me leave the security area once they saw it was a Spyderco knife - this happened to me twice, and a third time with a nice Kershaw. Yes, bad on me for not being diligent on clearing my backpack pocketeses.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Back when we were testifying against FSA2013, the security folks were directing people who had pocket knives out of the building. There was a small crowd of people milling about the foundation area of the building looking for a concealable place that wasn't already occupied with several pocket knives.

Sounds like an opportunity for a person or organisation to provide a secure depository near enough at hand to be convenient. It could bring a lot of goodwill if set up in a proper and trustworthy fashion. Knife valet parking.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Not a knife... but once I loaned out my chainsaw to a neighbor; so he could cut down a tree for a above ground pool. Went over a couple of hours later to see the progress, and he complained that the chainsaw was not cutting well anymore. The chainsaw's bar/chain was covered in dirt because he was now trying to use it to cut the tree's roots out of the ground... :rolleyes:

Some people are absolutely stupid. And ignorant. :sad20:

Once loaned out my chainsaw, never again. People do ask to borrow it, and I offer to cut it down/ up for them. Sometimes, after looking at the situation, if it's something I'm not comfortable cutting down I tell them why the should hire somebody insured. My saw family....

Attachments

• IMG_20151205_104505532.jpg
      IMG_20151205_104505532.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 173

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

X2. I try to know the laws and regulations for my destinations. I ALWAYS carry a knife and have never had one confiscated. On the federal reservations that permit a blade, it meets their requirements. If entirely prohibited, it stays in my car.

And good taste in knives! I've been carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 for the past couple years also.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Last time I was visiting the Liberty Bell I walked across the street and put my Benchmade on top of an outdoor pergola. Figured if someone stole it they worked pretty hard to get it. It was about 9' up and it helps that I'm 6'5" :D

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I carry a Benchmade Griptilian and a 380, 38spec or 9mm everyday :) This is my 1st post since I moved out of Md. I was visiting the DC area last week and felt naked without both so I bought a temporary carry knife for the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom