• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    We are hoping he will sooner then later. But there nothing that he has said or did to indicate to us he will do something one way or the other any time soon correct?

And if the CA will moot any stay he could easily let it go through the CA correct? Would it be fair to speculate that under normal circumstances the chances of Judge Legg doing something with this stay sooner rather then later would have been much greater then what may happen now that he has changed his status, where it's anyone's guess now?

i dont think his senior staus matters a whit and i dont think he will just refuse to rule That's just not his style

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    i dont think his senior staus matters a whit and i dont think he will just refuse to rule That's just not his style

I don't think he is refusing to rule either. I just think he has, not necessarily bigger fish to fry, but many more fish to fry that are not set on a course through the CA, but are desperately in need of more attention like this child molester he just put away.

I think he was also involved in a big case with drug companies.

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    I have tried to follow this thread and keep up on the facts about the case, but unfortunately the topic at hand is drifting into the territory of, 'my D and B's are bigger than yours' and, 'hey, I'm no lawyer, but I did stay in a holiday in express last night so 2A law is my forte.'

I hear and understand all of the opinions brought up thus far and I am guilty of speculating/preaching on things just as much as the next guy, but I think we need to hit the brakes and figure out fact from fiction at this point and if anything, speculate and game plan OUR next move as the residents of this political shit hole of a state should the 2A-tide sway in OR away from our direction. THAT is what we all need to keep in mind....back-up plans A, B, C, D, and even E. That way come judgement day, we got our ducks in a row to respond and politically fight back if need be.

And to settle these God damn opinions on Judge Legg, I have been in his courtroom (no, not as the defendant) and seen first hand the amount of paperwork and other bullsh*t required to finally get, "your day in court," and I can tell you it was no where near the amount the woollard case has brought to his desk and time wise this case is moving lightyears faster than what I witnessed.

So please, I'm sorry for being abrasive, but I'm pretty sure most folks on this forum would agree this thread, by far the largest on MDS, needs to get back to facts, not fiction, and proactive/logical discussions need to take place as to where we need to get our heads for the times to come.

As always, God bless America and the 2A.

:patriot::beer::gun1:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have a feeling that if the stay is lifted then MSP will send our apps back and tell us we have to re-apply because of the amount of time it has been. Maybe at least make us go through the fingerprints again with no fee paid to MSP.
    For apps returned, fingerprints will need to be run again. The fee is to the contractor and it will have to be paid again. MSP fees were already returned.

For apps that fell into the zone of post-ruling/pre-stay, they are processing those as full applications but holding the final adjudication pending the court. They cannot just create new processes for "those people" who are using G&S (per judges orders), so those investigations should be in good shape. In other words, we should be seeing those folks asked to reapply.

Those who are outside the zone will need to apply and that includes fingerprints. MSP avoids legal issue this way. They don't want to get sued any more than we want to sue. It's a waste of everyone's time.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The spreadsheet created by uscoastiee shows a grand total of 135 applications. Surely, that number is too small...or...MSP is doing about two a day.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    The spreadsheet created by uscoastiee shows a grand total of 135 applications. Surely, that number is too small...or...MSP is doing about two a day.

It's grossly under. I know of at least a dozen or so who applied who aren't on the forums or the spreadsheet. I don't even think I'm on there.

Also, I have secondhand information from several sources (i.e. take it with a small grain of salt) that each application takes about 8 man-hours of MSP time for the investigation portion. You figure two troopers per barracks processing investigations, at least a couple hundred apps per barracks, and you can understand the backlog.

This is why the system will need a complete overhaul once we win. A delay caused by inadequate processing staff and/or procedures would be just as arbitrary as G&S. I'm pretty sure that if the GA doesn't streamline things, we could easily bring another suit and win based on Wollard. (Mind you, I'd much prefer we didn't have to because that would take time and money....)

This also means that winning, even at SCOTUS, doesn't mean that we'll all get permits right away. There is still s long road ahead of us....

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is why I maintain that the smart thing for MSP and the state government to do would be to punt - accept non-resident CCWs held by Maryland residents for at least one year. With a request that those residents not apply for a MD CCW until then, in order to let the backlog clear.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    This is why I maintain that the smart thing for MSP and the state government to do would be to punt - accept non-resident CCWs held by Maryland residents for at least one year. With a request that those residents not apply for a MD CCW until then, in order to let the backlog clear.
    NEVER HAPPEN. But would be nice if it did since I could carry tomorrow.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia

I honestly doubt Maryland will ever accept another state's permit unless they are forced to do so by a Federal court order.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

It makes sense, but it would require action by the General Assembly. The last thing I want is for concealed carry to go before the GA. The thought of that reminds me of one of Vader's lines to Lando in Empire:

Cyndi59

I was sitting here wondering in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland",should the state lose and they start issuing CCW's..wonders if the thousands of us be required to be interviewed at our closest MSP barracks or placed on a waiting list.(Your interview date is Tuesday November 9th,2027 at 10:00a.m.)Just a thought that popped up.I hope no one takes this as just being one for the loonie bin.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was sitting here wondering in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland",should the state lose and they start issuing CCW's..wonders if the thousands of us be required to be interviewed at our closest MSP barracks or placed on a waiting list.(Your interview date is Tuesday November 9th,2027 at 10:00a.m.)Just a thought that popped up.I hope no one takes this as just being one for the loonie bin.

It would start a new court case ... no other state does it that way ... they've already been asked to compare to neighboring states ... ESQAPPELLATE says they wouldn't risk contempt ...

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County

The spreadsheet surely isn't an accurate picture of the number of applications that are in MSP's hands. Its only the info I've been able to grab out of a few of the threads here on MDS. Statically, (which I'm no statistician, by any means), I feel that it's a good "sample" of the apps that were actually submitted. Granted the spreadsheet is only as accurate as the time I have to browse the forums, and the time users/applicants have to post updates to their app process. So I wouldn't say that the stats in the spreadsheet are very "clean". It is merely an idea of what might be going on with our apps.

The spreadsheet gives me something to do, so I feel like I have an idea of how my app is going.

In the mean time, I'll be patiently waiting.....

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA

Considering I live 3K miles away and they have actually done just phone interviews before, good luck with that....

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    It would start a new court case ... no other state does it that way ... they've already been asked to compare to neighboring states ... ESQAPPELLATE says they wouldn't risk contempt ...

Adams County, Pennsylvania approved my permit in two weeks.

Unfortunately, I had to drive up twice to finally get it issued. First time the State Police system was down. That had me pretty ticked off because it was three and a half hours round trip.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The spreadsheet surely isn't an accurate picture of the number of applications that are in MSP's hands. Its only the info I've been able to grab out of a few of the threads here on MDS. Statically, (which I'm no statistician, by any means), I feel that it's a good "sample" of the apps that were actually submitted. Granted the spreadsheet is only as accurate as the time I have to browse the forums, and the time users/applicants have to post updates to their app process. So I wouldn't say that the stats in the spreadsheet are very "clean". It is merely an idea of what might be going on with our apps.

The spreadsheet gives me something to do, so I feel like I have an idea of how my app is going.

In the mean time, I'll be patiently waiting.....

You've done a yeoman's job in capturing available data! We all know of applicants who don't frequent the forum(s).

I wonder if the electronic fingerprinting operators could shed light on how many customers they had who applied "after decision, prior to stay" sans a G&S reason.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Speaking of fingerprints, a friend just completed the paperwork to purchase a suppressor. He was printed at the CJIS at a cost of thirty some bucks. I don't seem to remember that option being presented to us applicants for CCW.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom