• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Be there or be square.

It's a light, friendly competition. Kind of like hanging out with friends at the range.

In case you haven't read them before, here are the basic guidelines and rules.

Registration starts at 11:00 and the fun match starts at noon.

A class has been added for military rimfire trainers.

The match will be a very light competition with the emphasis being marksmanship, fun and few firearm regulations (other than safety). All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground. This is designed for the average shooter, not the high power match competitor.

$10 entry fee, use your own ammo
    Only one gun per shooter.
    Military issued rifles up to and including 1960
    Smokeless powder cartridge only
    No sporterized stocks or barrels
    Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item, to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period this match covers.(also for those with poor vision)
    Aftermarket scopes ARE allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.
    There will be three simple classes. Optics (anything using glass, and irons with front globe sights), Non-optics which is iron sights including rear peeps (but no front globe) and Rimfire for .22 trainers.
    The range will be at 100 yds
    The targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire
    Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.
    NO RIFLES ARE TO BE UNCASED OR BROUGHT TO THE SHOOTING BENCH UNTIL THAT COMMAND IS MADE BY THE RANGE OFFICER.
    Round count will be a non scored 3 round "site in" followed by 3 strings of 10 shots. 30 scored shots total. Total possible score is 300.
    There will be 5 to 7 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 10. Shooters will have 2 minutes to set up their bench after which at the RO command, they will have 2 minutes to fire 3 site in / fouling shots followed by a cease fire command. Next will come, at the R.O. command, the first scoring strings. After 2.5 minutes there will be a ceasefire AND ALL BOLTS WILL BE OPENED TO SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER. Targets will be scored and patched and the shooters will return to the bench and shoot their second string and repeat for the third string. After the their third string the targets will be scored and pulled. The next wave a shooters will then go through the same procedures.
    All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own if you want to spot your shots.
    The 2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.

If you have any questions, post them here.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Will be there. Can't wait to shoot this match. I think that I can put all my aches and pains behind me now.

What he said! :lol:

Aches & pains. It's a bitch getting' old. I'm not sure I can handle my P-14 (Pillsbury) because I injured my left rotator Wednesday, and can hardly lift my arm (then I poked a finger in my shooting' eye last night). But that M-1 Carbine isn't heavy and the sights are big. :rolleyes:

To any newbies: dress cool & bring plenty to drink (hydrate, that is). Trust me on that! ;)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What he said! :lol:

Aches & pains. It's a bitch getting' old. I'm not sure I can handle my P-14 (Pillsbury) because I injured my left rotator Wednesday, and can hardly lift my arm (then I poked a finger in my shooting' eye last night). But that M-1 Carbine isn't heavy and the sights are big. :rolleyes:

To any newbies: dress cool & bring plenty to drink (hydrate, that is). Trust me on that! ;)

You are welcomed to use the Russian SKS, if you can find it. It might be in the safe downstairs :shrug:
    We'll be over as soon as Katie finishes taking the horses out...probably 11ish.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Here's one that I took with my fold-in-halfie phone of Katie surveying the damage. She's got better ones and some vids on her computer phone. We got there later than we had hoped, so we all three (Katie, Dad, and me) shot in the same volley. That meant we could take pics of everyone else shooting, but not so much of us.:rolleyes:
    K8e and Margaret 7-28-18.jpg

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Here's one that I took with my fold-in-halfie phone of Katie surveying the damage. She's got better ones and some vids on her computer phone. We got there later than we had hoped, so we all three (Katie, Dad, and me) shot in the same volley. That meant we could take pics of everyone else shooting, but not so much of us.:rolleyes:
    View attachment 238444
    Margaret is serving Katie well. She is now consistently one of the top shooters every month now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I will attend next year.
    I will be shooting as a memorial to The 1st Volunteer US Calvary at Santiago Cuba, 7/1898

You don't have to wait...jumping in mid-season in no way affects your chances at winning the grand prize at the end...:innocent0

I thought it was a once a year thing. Please let me know where to get more details.

ETA- I'm not going to win; I plan on using an as issued Krag Carbine from 1895.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I thought it was a once a year thing. Please let me know where to get more details.

ETA- I'm not going to win; I plan on using an as issued Krag Carbine from 1895.

Looks like the next one is August 25. http://dpfng.com/DpMain.aspx They seem to do it every month, except for the really cold ones.

There have a been a couple Krags in the past. I definitely remember one doing really well last year.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

It was a really good shot :rasp:

It's embarrasing, :o but it happens :shrug: In my first or second shoot there (back when we shot eight per volley, and a new target each time, I believe), I was shooting great with my M1917. If I had any hits outside the black, they were 8's. My last target came back missing a hole :o I'm pretty sure the ones that were there were all in the black, so I really really didn't think I missed the whole target. I counted my empties and the remaining rounds in the box (I felt like Scotty verifying his torpedo count in Star Trek VI :D), and even checked to make sure the bullet wasn't still in the barrel. I had to conclude that I did indeed fire all of them. As I said, I was shooting really well that day, so I could only conclude that I put it on someone else's target.:o I might even have won with that last hit :rolleyes:

I'm extra careful about which target I'm aiming at now...and I bet you will be too ;) The advantage I had...it was on the last volley of the day, so not many folks were around to make fun of me:innocent0

PMD354

Had a great time as usual. The shooters are fantastic people. I was trying a new load in my 1903A3 so it was pretty much a where are they going to go match for me. I did put 9 out of 10 in the black in the last round. There is always the next match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom