Credit Card co questions NRA Membership purch.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Isn't it against federal law to not accept us currency for products and services offered in the us?

There was a story a while ago about an NYC coffee shop that got robbed so much they stopped taking cash, and then someone sued them.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    A lot of cc scams start with a small purchase at gas pumps/stations to see if the card is active.
    This is what happened to me on my last cc hack. Couple of dollars at a Columbia 7-11, followed almost immediately by large charge. Credit Union immediately suspended card and replaced it. Only issue was I found out the next morning, when my card was denied!!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Isn't it against federal law to not accept us currency for products and services offered in the us?
    It is, but be careful what you wish for. A few years ago my dad was hunting in PA and a friend of his got hooked up for hunting from an ATV. Immediately taken before the Magistrate, and fined $25. Being somewhat of a smart... he produced a $100 bill (he had smaller) When told they didn't have change available, he played the "US currency, you have to take it card"

Much to his chagrin, they played the "Contempt of Court Card" on him. The fine?
    Why $75, of course......and they gladly accepted his hundred dollar bill, no change necessary!!!!

FYI - it was quite a few years ago, so the numbers may be a little off, but you get the idea.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I don't typically carry cash.. but when I travel out of town.. I have cash with me.

My regular bank did that once.. just going to a Korean grocery store across the bridge (Virginia) transaction was denied.. used another card (cap one) it was fine..

Only saw the flag notice when I got home an hour later..

I always carry a small amount of cash, whether I'm going on vacation or just up to the corner store. Never know when you'll need it - machines could go down and stores suddenly can't take plastic, Girl Scouts might be selling cookies in front of the grocery store, etc. I don't carry enough cash for a big purchase, but any big purchase can always wait.

Two is one and one is none. I always have two plastic cards, but also always have two types of payment (plastic and cash).

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    A lot of cc scams start with a small purchase at gas pumps/stations to see if the card is active.

Understandable. But you'd think their algorithm would understand that if I booked a flight to Florida and a rental car in Florida, that I'll be buying gas in Florida too. An out of the blue gas purchase several states away without those other purchases on file, that might be suspicious.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I must be jinxed . An hour away from home, even in same metro area is a crap shoot. And seems at least every other month getting somthing shut off for no reason at all .

Nevered been defrauded, but screwed by banks constantly . And on weekends where I can't pound on desks until monday . Can you request to be exempted from "protection" ?

Added - In stead of using plastic directly , half the time I'll withdraw the amount, it being less ri

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Understandable. But you'd think their algorithm would understand that if I booked a flight to Florida and a rental car in Florida, that I'll be buying gas in Florida too. An out of the blue gas purchase several states away without those other purchases on file, that might be suspicious.

It happened to me as well. I was traveling for work sitting in a restaurant with clients, when I received and email stated the card that was in my wallet was turned off due to several low dollar purchases at a gas station from the state I was in. So there I sit with a $200 dinner bill, $1000 hotel bill and whatever else I needed and the card was off. I called the bank, I got the "suspicious" activity line. But we could have a are card sent to you in a week to 10 days. They would not turn it back on. This was a company CC with no travel restrictions since I travel a lot. Ended up using my own card for the stuff owed. So I feel your pain.

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    I tried using my Chase and Citibank cards to pay for life membership’s $25 monthly installment and both denied the charge. I usually get an email and text whenever I get a “fraud” flag but I did not with this one. I called and both cannot find anything why the charge is being denied.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I don't typically carry cash.. but when I travel out of town.. I have cash with me.

My regular bank did that once.. just going to a Korean grocery store across the bridge (Virginia) transaction was denied.. used another card (cap one) it was fine..

Only saw the flag notice when I got home an hour later..

You should use Travelers Checks. The banks don't charge customers for the service (if it's a good bank, I wouldn't say about BOA).

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Capital One questions my iTunes money spend if they notice it being out of the ordinary. I don't think it has anything to do with the NRA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom