• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    ;)

My critique often makes me a target, so I have to minimize what I share.

People believe the propaganda about the D.I. and are convinced or duped into believing G.P. is an improvement.

They ignore the things that had to be grought to market to fix the problems G.P. AR systems create like faster unlocking and bolt breakage, especially with a suppressor (fluted Chambers, roller cams, and adjustable gas), carrier tilt (beefed carrier tails and modified receiver extensions), carrier key breakage (monolithic carrier and key).

The bolt breakage issues has much to do with bolt load when unlocking. G.P. AR designs add more bolt lug load due to the way it works. D.I. removes load when unlocking, which reduces bolt stress.
    Just to add on to what Clandestine is saying, the H&K 416 (arguably a starting point for the recent gas piston AR phase) was designed to meet a very specific set of requirements: reliable suppressed operation from a variety of barrel lengths using a variety of ammunition (different bullet types, velocities, pressures, etc). Increased weight, wear, and parts replacement were expected, and those tradeoffs were considered acceptable for having a weapon that would be effective and reliable with the stated requirements. Larry Vickers has gone on record stating this, and multiple alum from the organization that spawned the 416 have concurred with this. And most that I personally know agree that a DI AR pattern rifle is all around better for most purposes.

Personally I like well made DI ARs and well made piston ARs, but if I could only pick one I would 100% go with a DI AR/M16 derivative. That said there are plenty of non-AR firearms designed from the ground up around long stroke and short stroke piston gas systems, and they work great. Like AK pattern rifles, which are a design that Clandestine also loves dearly and never disparages. :P

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Just to add on to what Clandestine is saying, the H&K 416 (arguably a starting point for the recent gas piston AR phase) was designed to meet a very specific set of requirements: reliable suppressed operation from a variety of barrel lengths using a variety of ammunition (different bullet types, velocities, pressures, etc). Increased weight, wear, and parts replacement were expected, and those tradeoffs were considered acceptable for having a weapon that would be effective and reliable with the stated requirements. Larry Vickers has gone on record stating this, and multiple alum from the organization that spawned the 416 have concurred with this. And most that I personally know agree that a DI AR pattern rifle is all around better for most purposes.

Personally I like well made DI ARs and well made piston ARs, but if I could only pick one I would 100% go with a DI AR/M16 derivative. That said there are plenty of non-AR firearms designed from the ground up around long stroke and short stroke piston gas systems, and they work great. Like AK pattern rifles, which are a design that Clandestine also loves dearly and never disparages. :P

A gun designed ground up like the AK for the most part has standardized parts more or less. Ak is probably a bad example due to all the derivatives that can use this part from the Russian but not this part and vice versa. so maybe a DI AR would be better example, 95% of the parts from a colt DI AR will fit in a DPMS DI AR and vice versa. If I buy a piston AR from LWRC, and I need to replace a part in 20 years and LWRC is gone I am stuck with cannibalized used parts. Whereas because of patents and such they cannot standardize so I cannot use an H&K 416 part.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    A gun designed ground up like the AK for the most part has standardized parts more or less. Ak is probably a bad example due to all the derivatives that can use this part from the Russian but not this part and vice versa. so maybe a DI AR would be better example, 95% of the parts from a colt DI AR will fit in a DPMS DI AR and vice versa. If I buy a piston AR from LWRC, and I need to replace a part in 20 years and LWRC is gone I am stuck with cannibalized used parts. Whereas because of patents and such they cannot standardize so I cannot use an H&K 416 part.

yeah, im not a huge fan of proprietary parts myself. good companies will likely be around for a while but see where you are going here.

some proprietary parts aren't so bad, but I get your point.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I appreciate your analysis of that part of my post, but you should know that it was primarily meant as a tongue in cheek poke at Clandestine . . .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yup

I own a few high dollar rigs from LWRC, POF, Troy, but my favorite is by Primary Weapon Systems. Plenty of standard(ish) DI guns in the collection, but I'm a piston driven fan :P

My first AR was the PWS just prior to the Oct 2013 ban. That is my avatar- MK116 Mod1 Long piston. Funny though, PITA to dip the BCG in synth :)

I love that rifle.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My first AR was the PWS just prior to the Oct 2013 ban. That is my avatar- MK116 Mod1 Long piston. Funny though, PITA to dip the BCG in synth :)

I love that rifle.
    PWS makes a fine firearm. I plan on purchasing a MK111 (or whatever their 11.5ish inch model is called now). Haven't decided on just upper for my SBR lower or form 4.

871JZ

Mar 27, 2017
    KAC SR-15. A rifle where the improvements are actually improvements. I got my Mod 2 back in early February from Engage and I'm about to cross the 5k mark without a single issue. Lightweight, durable, incredibly reliable, and even has some ambi features if you care. Gets my vote without question for best DI AR on the market. Honestly, best AR period, IMO.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD

I love that rifle.

Superb choice! I'll put up with that gas system though given how well it shoots. I also picked up a MK114 Mod1 during early 2013! Put a CTR stock and some irons on there and it's a mighty fine piece to take to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom