• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Hello,

On a 16" AR HB; when you add a flash suppressor to the barrell how do you keep a good balance ?

Can this done by adding washers?
    Does the factory take the extra weight into consideration when they manufacture the barrells?

Thanks,

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most AR HB are top heavy. How does one maintain a balance of the barrells?
    Would fluting the barell make that much of a difference?
    You don't mean top heavy.You mean front heavy.

If you are bothered by the added weight of a muzzle device, maybe more time in the gym might be a better solution...

...or, buy a heavy stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe the OP means some sort of barrel weights when he says washers?

Heavy stocks can counter the front-heaviness of HBARs, but the better solution is aggressive fluting to get that barrel to weigh less. In fact, it appears the Dvor will be selling the Faxon barrels in a few days:
    https://www.dvor.com/faxon-firearms-223-wylde-heavy-fluted-rifle-barrel.html

I think they were ~$250 last time? Not cheap, but fluting does cost significant machine time.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Compared to the goverment profile barrel the extra weight of the 16" carbine barrel is between the hands when the rifle is positioned to shoot. I personally find it no issue with a 16"...and actually prefer the extra weight of the 16" HBAR. On the 18" and 20" barrels the front sight bases are further out. So on the 18" and 20" HBAR's the heavy profile, thus more metal extends further toward the front because the heavy section goes to the front sight base. There are 16" carbine barrels with what is called a midlength gas system. The sight base is extended further out but not to the rifle length, so you may notice it being a little more muzzle heavy.

As far as a muzzle device goes, you won't notice it unless it is one of the larger comps or muzzle breaks. I wouldn't get too work up over the weight on the carbine 16". If the weight is a concern, some of the Colts and Ruger's guns have a slightly slimmer profile HBAR, as well as some of the aftermarkets. My experience has been I only needed weight in the stock for balance when the 18" and 20" HBAR's are used. YMMV. Sometimes you just need to jump in and get your feet wet.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If you mean the general balance and weight of the rifle, then fluting will help.

Also, a mid-length or rifle gas heavy profile barrel will be heavier and more "front heavy"/ feel less balanced than a carbine gas heavy barrel due to the extra mass up to the gas port.

What I found to help greatly with the added mass of a heavy profile is the Midwest Industries Ultralight Combat Handguard. Perhaps not as "bombproof" as some would like, but it's been rock solid for me and it is crazy light. Currently I have a pretty bare bones build with a 16 inch carbine gas HBAR that comes in at 7.6lb total with the 12.625 inch Midwest industries rail.

Link below.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/AR15-Combat-Rail-Ultra-Lightweight-Handguard-M-Lok-s/551.htm

Regarding a flash hider, you can get pretty light ones. A standard A2 birdcage will not add that much weight or make it feel totally off balance. That said, the one issue I have with the SilencerCo ASR system is the Flashiders and brakes are so darn heavy.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Why should everybody keep guessing? OP needs to create clarity for what his concern is. What is he trying to discern or resolve? It is unfortunately unclear. Thus anyone opting to try to help will wander through the weeds in likely unsuccessful attempts.

OP. What is the issue you’re trying to solve? What are you worried about/concerned with? Barrel weight isn’t something that most folks are concerned with unless they have bull barrels. The weight of a flash hider or other similar muzzle device just doesn’t hit the “concern meter” for most shooters. There are many more weighty issues than that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why should everybody keep guessing? OP needs to create clarity for what his concern is. What is he trying to discern or resolve? It is unfortunately unclear. Thus anyone opting to try to help will wander through the weeds in likely unsuccessful attempts.

The same reason we do crossword puzzles the day before the answers come out.
    ;)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OP. What is the issue you’re trying to solve? What are you worried about/concerned with? Barrel weight isn’t something that most folks are concerned with unless they have bull barrels.
    OP said what they were concerned with, and it's balance. A lighter barrel is going to naturally push the center of mass rearwards holding everything equal.

Someone else brought up handguard weight, and this is a fantastic point, too. Some of the old quad rails were boat anchors, and if you've got one of those on your rifle, you can shave a fair bit of weight off by going to a modern lightweight MLOK handguard.

The FSB thing has some truth to it, they usually weigh ~5oz, but the reality is that a low-pro GB plus a handguard that covers it on a midlength gas gun is going to add comparable weight. No free lunches.

IMHO, weight and balance are a big deal on a rifle that you're going to run and gun with, or spend all day hanging on a sling in a class. If it's gonna spend 99% of its time on a bench, yeah, it does not matter nearly as much. If we lived in a free state, I'd be putting pencil barrels on pretty much every AR that didn't have a 3-18 scope on it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe the barrel would be lighter if the extra L was removed? Should still be Maryland compliant.
    Maybe this is OP's problem...

Attachments

• barrell.jpg
      barrell.jpg
      21 KB · Views: 199

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    OP said what they were concerned with, and it's balance. A lighter barrel is going to naturally push the center of mass rearwards holding everything equal.

Someone else brought up handguard weight, and this is a fantastic point, too. Some of the old quad rails were boat anchors, and if you've got one of those on your rifle, you can shave a fair bit of weight off by going to a modern lightweight MLOK handguard.

The FSB thing has some truth to it, they usually weigh ~5oz, but the reality is that a low-pro GB plus a handguard that covers it on a midlength gas gun is going to add comparable weight. No free lunches.

IMHO, weight and balance are a big deal on a rifle that you're going to run and gun with, or spend all day hanging on a sling in a class. If it's gonna spend 99% of its time on a bench, yeah, it does not matter nearly as much. If we lived in a free state, I'd be putting pencil barrels on pretty much every AR that didn't have a 3-18 scope on it.
    Big fella. Thanks. I read that. For me that does not compute. Flash hider, muzzle break, etc doesn’t appreciably change balance. Unless you are Jerry FN Mikulek

So I figured he dint really know or was unable/unwilling to tell us and thus send us off on (Yet) another CF.

Your points are well made if the question was rational. Hell, your points are pretty much logical and spot on always.

Does your flash hider or simple muzzle break make a substantive difference to your felt balance? Maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing...

Bonus points: How many Rs in barrel? How many Ls in barrel?

YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Big fella. Thanks. I read that. For me that does not compute. Flash hider, muzzle break, etc doesn’t appreciably change balance. Unless you are Jerry FN Mikulek

So I figured he dint really know or was unable/unwilling to tell us and thus send us off on (Yet) another CF.

Your points are well made if the question was rational. Hell, your points are pretty much logical and spot on always.

Does your flash hider or simple muzzle break make a substantive difference to your felt balance? Maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing...

Bonus points: How many Rs in barrel? How many Ls in barrel?

YMMV
    See #17

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads