What are the laws about building an AR pistol from an 80% lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crasher

I want to put an AR-15 pistol together and I don't know if there's a comparable HBAR restriction like carbines.

Additionally - I don't know yet what I have to do to make a pistol assembled with a lower finished from an 80% blank legal to have in a residence or shooting on private property.

This would be in Queen Anne county, if it makes a difference in laws.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for details, please?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Maryland is a state-wide gun law state. Nothing is different between jurisdictions.

There are no restrictions on building what you want that I can think of. Build away and have fun... LOL

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Are pistols have no additional MD regulation. The heavy barrel requirement only applies to .223/5.56 rifles, and doesn't apply to pistols. No vfg unless the oal is 26''+. There is nothing you need to do to legally make an AR pistol from 80%, other than follow all the NFA rules.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Are pistols have no additional MD regulation. The heavy barrel requirement only applies to .223/5.56 rifles, and doesn't apply to pistols. No vfg unless the oal is 26''+. There is nothing you need to do to legally make an AR pistol from 80%, other than follow all the NFA rules.

I do not mean to hijack the thread but I never did understand the Heavy barrel requirement in law. What is the significance that law makers are trying to regulate?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I do not mean to hijack the thread but I never did understand the Heavy barrel requirement in law. What is the significance that law makers are trying to regulate?

No one really knows. The lawmakers in all thier wisdom banned ar15s exept for colts heavy barrel are. Hence heavy or hbar barrels are ok.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are no restrictions on building what you want that I can think of. Build away and have fun... LOL
    This is not true. From PS 5-406:
    (1) Except as provided in § 5-402 of this subtitle, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster in the State.

The only even remotely plausible exception in 5-402 is:
    (2) manufacture a prototype handgun model required for design, development, testing, and approval by the Board

Right now, the MSP could, in theory, bust someone for building out a pistol that's not on the roster and that they have no obvious interest in submitting later (especially when you post on the interwebz about how you want a non-registered handgun). This is why, when Polymer80 gets around to producing licensed frames, it really would be better for someone to submit those.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD

The MGA wanted to do away with all AR-15 and AK platform firearms. The shooting sports folks lobbied that they would lose money from out of state competitors not being able to shoot at MD competitions if the AR-15 platform was banned completely so they allowed the Colt Sporter HBAR rifle and it's copies to remain legal in MD. Pistols and SBR were forgotten in the original law.

80% lowers fall under federal law regarding S/N's. There is no restriction on what you build and as long as you build it as a pistol first you can swap configurations. The only collapsible stock carbine or rifle length rifle configuration needs to use a heavy barrel. SBR's follow fed law plus need to be 29" (I think) in MD.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

If you have a lightweight barrel, you will kill children. If you have a heavy barrel, you won't kill children. That is called "liberal logic".

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

No one really knows. The lawmakers in all thier wisdom banned ar15s exept for colts heavy barrel are. Hence heavy or hbar barrels are ok.

Incorrect. The HBAR is deemed to be a legit sport target shooting device and std barrels only useful for mass murder because they are easier to swing around at more targets.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    (1) Except as provided in § 5-402 of this subtitle, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster in the State.

(2) manufacture a prototype handgun model required for design, development, testing, and approval by the Board

Right now, the MSP could, in theory, bust someone for building out a pistol that's not on the roster and that they have no obvious interest in submitting later (especially when you post on the interwebz about how you want a non-registered handgun). This is why, when Polymer80 gets around to producing licensed frames, it really would be better for someone to submit those.

Manufacturing for personal use is not manufacturering for sale or distribution.

crasher

In the spirit of bonhomie and cooperation, I appreciate your help and insight.

I don't intend to skirt the law, I just don't know what/which laws apply in this case pertaining to a 'made' pistol Vs a legally 'made' long rifle. Hence - 'What must I do to comply?'

I bought a few 80% lowers on a whim for a hobby/project, as a curiosity, and because I could have them shipped to my home without having to pay an FFL several times to take shipment of an item that I could legally possess after I milled a few ounces of aluminum off of it in several places.

Now I just want to know what restrictions apply to weapons (in this case a pistol made from most of the same parts I can make a legal long gun from) and how best to comply with the legal stuff.

:thumbsup:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

I usually agree with you erwos but here I believe you are wrong. As long as someone is not manufacturing for sale or distribution they are fine IMHO. You are extrapolating too much from a latter clause which does not affect the former.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'm in a discussion with a coworker of legality of polymer80 handguns. I can only see the transport of a finished working one being an issue if questioned by LEO. Still no solid answers on this.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm in a discussion with a coworker of legality of polymer80 handguns. I can only see the transport of a finished working one being an issue if questioned by LEO. Still no solid answers on this.

AFAIK, as long as you built it yourself, you don't need a serial number on it.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I usually agree with you erwos but here I believe you are wrong. As long as someone is not manufacturing for sale or distribution they are fine IMHO. You are extrapolating too much from a latter clause which does not affect the former.

I've looked and I can't find anything in MD law that says you can not build a banned weapon (legal under federal law)

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I've looked and I can't find anything in MD law that says you can not build a banned weapon (legal under federal law)

Wrong. Sb281 bans posession of a banned weapon if it was not posession before October 1 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom