• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Is there a practical, real world difference between the two? From what I've read, it looks like S30v should hold an edge a bit better and be a more corrosion resistant, but 154cm should be a bit easier to sharpen... thoughts?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm no expert, but got the bug a few years ago from other users on this forum. From my limited experience and understanding, 154cm is nearly identical to vg10, which is outstanding. I think between 154cm and vg10 the blade design is actually more important than the metal; both are fantastic steels with good all around use/purpose and are easy to sharpen and keep a wicked edge a good long time on most common materials. The s30v is a little harder to sharpen, but keeps a good working edge considerably longer; but it also seems to lose its razor sharpness a tad quicker than 154cm (or vg10). All things considered, these are all high quality, superb steels!

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I've been happy with the few knives I have that are 154cm. Just had them resharpened last night. Razor sharp and usually lasts for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have several of both. 154CM is easier to make ridiculously sharp, but is easier to damage if you cut something tough or hard, and after the edge starts to go it will keep getting duller and duller till you resharpen. S30V is more resistant to damage, and can usually be steeled or stropped to bring the edge back a little better than 154CM. It will loose it's "razor" edge about as quick as 154CM, but then it settles into a sharp and useable, but not hair splitting edge that lasts a LONG time. People say it's tough to sharpen, especially compared to 154CM, but if you use silicon carbide or diamond stones, or use a power sharpener, it isn't much different till you get into fine grits. Heat treating and hardness also vary, as do edge geometry and angle. I have some knives that may be in the same steel, but seem to take a much better edge, or last a lot longer than another knife in the same steel.

It takes noticeably longer to polish and strop S30V to finish it, gets worse the more Vanadium a blade has. Where my S30V takes maybe 25% longer to sharpen, twice as long to polish/strop compared to 154CM, my S110V manix2 takes about 2-3 times longer to sharpen and 5-10 times longer to polish/strop compared to the same knife in S30V. In S30V's case the little bit of extra work is well worth the better edge holding, and spending a long time to polish it up and eek out the sharpest edge usually isn't worth it compared to sharpening to a decent edge, then just stropping enough to clean the edge up. S35VN and Elmax are getting more popular, and both are a step up from S30V, noticeably tougher and more resistant to damage, they also take a finer edge, hold a razor-edge longer, and are actually easier to sharpen.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Wow... thanks for the in depth analysis! As it sits now, I'm looking at knives in both of these steels. I think Elmax and s35vn are just out of my price range for my next buy. Though, as they get more popular, the price may start trickling down... once again... thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom