• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Gentlemen,

An ladies for that matter. Don’t mean to be sexist - women punch holes in paper too.

This is my first post to the forum and I’ve got to say I love what you guys/gals are doing here. I moved from Florida last year and it’s been refreshing to discover a community of people who share in my love of guns and more importantly - my right to own one. :patriot:

Stepping down from my soapbox now…
    I am in the market for my first AR-15 and I need some advice, nay - guidance. I’ve read a lot of post from brand loyal enthusiast who think that its “brand X or the highway”, but what I really want is some objective and unbiased input. So here it goes:

I’m looking to stay around $1200 (+ or preferably -) and I want a mil-spec (or close to it) 16” A3 style weapon in 5.56. I am considering Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Bushmaster, but I am open to other brands as well. Basically, I want a quality weapon that wont crap out when I need it most. I don’t plan to go crazy with ad-ons, but I want an AR with the capability of customization - so no proprietary designs that only take specific and obscure aftermarket parts.

Sidebar: I've seen the "chart" so please dont send me a link to it.

The primary purpose of this weapon will be recreation. However, I’m a “prepper” at heart so I want to be able to rely on it in a SHTF type situation. :gun2:

I live in Silver Spring and would love some advice/input on where to go to purchase. I have looked through the partners here, but any other info would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    WELCOME!!

Spike Tactical makes a really solid AR/M platform. For around $800 you can have a nice weapon system to be proud of.

As for optics...

Bushnell TRS-25 RedDot - $100
    EOTech 512 - $400-600
    Aimpoint CompM4 - $800

I used the Bushnell TRS-25 on Wifeys rifle...works like a charm. So on the low end...$1000 (includes FFL fees and taxes) on the top end $1800.

As far as "upgrades"...I personally like the MOE stuff from Magpul. For around $200 you can change out the Fore, Grip, Stock, and Mags.

wagtail

Oct 13, 2010
    Garrett county.Md
    I found a used Colt Match Target Comp hbar at my local gun shop for $750.00.Added
    a Leopold Mark Ar 3 9X40 T-2 scope;and a Leopold Mark 2 Q/D mount. At 100 yds..Bench resting..Can put 10 rds into target,cover with a Quarter. My biggest complaint.
    I shoulda bought one of these things years ago. Next purchase a shorter,lighter AR-!5.
    You can't have just one! If i was a morman I would marry the bloody thing!
    Welcome to the group.
    Wagtail

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I'm new too - My 2nd post.

Sounds like you have a decent budget to work with so there are plenty of options. I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P Sport in 5.56 and it is a blast to shoot. For the cost, it can't be beat. No forward assist or dust cover - from what I've read, military vets usually disapprove of those components not being there, but for me it's just been great.

Alaskacajun

Aug 30, 2011
    Out of the 3 you mentioned, I say get the Colt... I'm not sure if you want a rifle or a carbine but if it's a carbine you can't go wrong with the Colt 6920.

With that said, Spike's Tactical was mentioned... & I would also recommend them as well!

- Clint

BigTerpAJ

Preparing for Zombies
    Sep 6, 2011
    Moco
    I was in the market 2 years ago for a AR....Decided to go with Daniel Defense. Read some good things and talked to a lot of people and heard a lot of good things. I love it. Never had any problems!! Picked it up from Engage Armament in Kensington. they just got back from a gun show so i got it for around $1000

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I haven't looked into Daniel or Spikes, but I have to admit there are a bunch of good reviews out there about both of them. Im definitely going to look into them.

Just to clarify - Im looking for a rifle close to mil-spec, so no Hbar for me. Good info though thanks!

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have Colt,DPMS,Spikes and like them all but would not buy any of the newer DPMS do to recent QC issues.I have recently built some w/Spikes lowers and Stag,Delton,Spikes uppers. I am still evaluating the MilSpec variations.Many trigger options are available as well.This forum will give You a lot of info.Danial Defense and Noveske are great mfgr's on the upper end.Enjoy and good luck!

Whatever you get, shoot it a lot.

Take a carbine course the next time one is offered. Play with it as often as you can afford to. Make it your goal to wear out the rifle. And get it scratched immediately, too. Maybe even drop it. That way all the anxiety about it being shiny and new is gone.

Just don't hide it in the safe and shoot is a couple times a year.

Alaskacajun

Aug 30, 2011
    Since you're apparently having fun researching these rifles... Google ~ Pat Rogers Filthy 14 Bravo Company midlength

I own 1 just like it... :o

9lejqt.jpg

- Clint

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have heard a lot of good things about S&W, Spike's, and Daniel Defense also. I can't comment on those specifically, I have 2 Stag Arms pieces myself, and for the money spent, I have no complaints. Entry level Stags new are around 800 while the upper-end gets up to 1200 for Piston-driven, they also offer 6.8 SPC if 5.56 leaves you wanting more. Good luck, there's many options and welcome.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Buy the upper and lower separately. They are easy to put together and you save the 10% excise tax on a complete rifle. Buy the "regulated" part in MD, get the upper online.

Jim

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Best bang for the buck is this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...Elite+CHF+5.56/.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=55

You get a Hammer Forged Barrel (Longer Barrel Life and Match Accuracy in a Meduim Weight)

Mid Length Gas System (Softens Recoil, Cooler Running, and Better Timing than Carbine Gas and has longer sight radius)

Nickel Boron M16 Bolt Group (Runs Cleaner and is easier to clean)

M4 Ramps (Feeds better from marginal quality mags)

If you cant find that barrel instock you would be fine with a std barreled Spikes Upper Assembly. Joebob outfitters has great prices. Get a Mid length version.

Find a shop locally that Stocks Spikes M4 complete lowers. They have rounded hammers, milspec receiver extensions, and heavy buffers. You can get one for under $300 if you shop.

From there get:

Magpul MBUS2 rear sight
    Some Magpul PMAGS or Lancer Mags (Best Mags available)
    Spikes Dynacomp or a Battlecomp (Reduces recoil but dont BARK like most brrakes)
    PRI (Military) Extended Charging Latch

If you want a rail I would suggest a YHM Lightweight or Diamond Series Mid Length Free Float Rail

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Best bang for the buck is this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...Elite+CHF+5.56/.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=55

You get a Hammer Forged Barrel (Longer Barrel Life and Match Accuracy in a Meduim Weight)

Mid Length Gas System (Softens Recoil, Cooler Running, and Better Timing than Carbine Gas and has longer sight radius)

Nickel Boron M16 Bolt Group (Runs Cleaner and is easier to clean)

M4 Ramps (Feeds better from marginal quality mags)

If you cant find that barrel instock you would be fine with a std barreled Spikes Upper Assembly. Joebob outfitters has great prices. Get a Mid length version.

Find a shop locally that Stocks Spikes M4 complete lowers. They have rounded hammers, milspec receiver extensions, and heavy buffers. You can get one for under $300 if you shop.

From there get:

Magpul MBUS2 rear sight
    Some Magpul PMAGS or Lancer Mags (Best Mags available)
    Spikes Dynacomp or a Battlecomp (Reduces recoil but dont BARK like most brrakes)
    PRI (Military) Extended Charging Latch

If you want a rail I would suggest a YHM Lightweight or Diamond Series Mid Length Free Float Rail

This is great advice, but if it was my money I would buy a good complete lower and a Noveske upper. Daniel Defence, BCM, and Colt are all solid options. I wouldn't spend 1200$ on anything but these options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom