• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I saw a colt recommendation but I thought colt went bankrupt?

Feb 28, 2013
    Well I'll keep an eye out for any second hand 6721s. The consensus is clearly to just do what Clandestine says :) - but I'll also check with GG and MGN and see if they have any ARs for rent.

He is our must trusted source and will not steer you wrong.

After you get ahold of one, check it out his classes in the S.O.T.A.R. section under Industry Partners. There you'll learn about the inner workings of your gun and how to keep 'er runnin'.:)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Aren't there are also gas tubes that fit these descriptions? One can buy a carbine length barrel with a mid length gas system, can't they?

I'm not sure.

I have always purchased complete uppers.

Yes you can get gas tubes in carbine, mid-length, and rifle. Bear in mind that it is dependent on where the gas port is on the barrel. You can have a 16" barrel with carbine, mid-length, and rifle gas systems. You can get an 18" barrel with mid-length or rifle gas systems. You can get a 20" and longer barrels with rifle length gas systems. Keep all that in mind when you look at the barrel you are buying, in order to get the correct length gas tube.

large_88_gastubes.jpg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

After you get ahold of one, check it out his classes in the S.O.T.A.R. section under Industry Partners. There you'll learn about the inner workings of your gun and how to keep 'er runnin'.:)

I have to second this. Sling and I were in the same class and it was well worth the sleep deprivation I endured, because of my work schedule. I would go though it all again for the class.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Yes you can get gas tubes in carbine, mid-length, and rifle. Bear in mind that it is dependent on where the gas port is on the barrel. You can have a 16" barrel with carbine, mid-length, and rifle gas systems. You can get an 18" barrel with mid-length or rifle gas systems. You can get a 20" and longer barrels with rifle length gas systems. Keep all that in mind when you look at the barrel you are buying, in order to get the correct length gas tube.

large_88_gastubes.jpg

I learn something new every day.

Thanks for the explanation Daemon! :party29:

aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County

Oh yeah, I was looking into his classes already actually. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger on the AR, but I've got his site bookmarked.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Would a mid length gas system on a carbine barrel allow a bayonet to fit?

14.5" barrel pinned and welded flash hider and carbine gas system will work with a bayonet. Extend the barrel to a 16" and there's a bit too much barrel sticking out. They make lug extenders...but they're silly.

The better option is 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system. The midlength gas system is easier on the gun and the shooter...but more importantly it allows you to mount a bayonet on a 16" gun like you can on the 14." inch carbine.

IMAG6414.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Would a mid length gas system on a carbine barrel allow a bayonet to fit?

My understanding is that an M9 bayonet will fit either a 14.5" barrel or a 20" barrel, assuming these have an A2 length flash suppressor. Any other configuration you will get a less than tight fit.

[EDIT - forgot to add the mid+16" to the list - I stand corrected]

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My understanding is that an M9 bayonet will fit either a 14.5" barrel or a 20" barrel, assuming these have an A2 length flash suppressor. Any other configuration you will get a less than tight fit.

The bayo lug is on the gas block. A carbine gas tube + 14.5" barrel works. Mid-length gas system + 16" barrel works. A rifle length gas system + 20" barrel works. Other combinations there is too much or too little barrel ahead of the gas block/bayo lug.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just want to reiterate what others have said; buy/build an AR from a top shelf manufacturer like Colt or Windham, or BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing). Don't be cheap like I was with my first AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom