• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone notice the specific wording of the ATF letter?

It refers to the item not being regulated as a firearm as a standalone product, but not so when marketed or sold as a kit.

If you go to the glock store website, they are now shipping just the 80% frame by itself and the other parts as a separate shipment.

The clamshell jig, drill bits and metal frame rail inserts that were originally part of the frame purchase are now sold as a separate "builders tool set".

I am curious as to how this will affect Polymer 80 as they release new models since each non-firearm 80% receiver must go through the ATF determination process.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am curious as to how this will affect Polymer 80 as they release new models since each non-firearm 80% receiver must go through the ATF determination process.
    The PF940SC seems to have gotten approved start-to-finish while the SS80 was going through approval. I firmly believe there is more going on here than GS is telling us.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. The steps to complete the frames as well as the jig and tools are essentially the same between the polymer 80 series and the ss80.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

I don’t believe P80 ever got a determination letter for any of their V2.0 frames. I think they are relying on just the original letter they received when they submitted the original version.

If you go to their webpage, the only letter they have posted is for the original.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Doing a build on one of those looks really, really expensive vs just buying one. Hopefully prices on the components will come down soon.

Once again, it's not about cost for most folks. People enjoy building them like 80% AR lowers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Once again, it's not about cost for most folks. People enjoy building them like 80% AR lowers.
    Well, yes, I've built three of them on P80 frames and they're awesome and unique. But there's a point when the cost so exceeds buying one that it gets a little hard to justify. You're paying like ~$650 ($150 frame+jig, $400 slide, $90 frame parts) for something close to what you'd buy in the store for $450. Once the parts come down in price and you're getting it for closer to $500, I'm all in on building one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, yes, I've built three of them on P80 frames and they're awesome and unique. But there's a point when the cost so exceeds buying one that it gets a little hard to justify. You're paying like ~$650 ($150 frame+jig, $400 slide, $90 frame parts) for something close to what you'd buy in the store for $450. Once the parts come down in price and you're getting it for closer to $500, I'm all in on building one.

Probably the case in the g43. My G17 80% came in at about $400 all up. Bought a V1.5 in a $50 closeout sale as the V2 rolled out. I got the slide, barrel and frame parts kit on sale as well. Used sights and full price slide parts kit. I’ve put maybe $20 in to “opps” parts for stuff I’ve messed up like the firing pin liner and take down/slide stop.

I’ve learned a hell of a lot about Glock smithing along this process as I’ve encountered a bunch of small issues I’ve had to troubleshoot (some I caused, some as a result of not perfect fitment on the barrel and slide as well as the disconnector).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Only took em 8 months to ship... :sad20: :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
      IMG_1291.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 312

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Congrats can't wait to see several of these out in the wild and completed, should be several inexpensive slides coming to market in the near future to cater to these new frames

Mine came at 5pm last night via fedex. I had a fully functional G43 by 6:15pm. ( I ordered the slide and LPK the day these were available for pre order) It was easier than the poly80 frames which are ridiculously easy. I now have completed 11 80% glock clones in 5 different calibers. Poly80 will be releasing a G20/21 frame soonish which will give me 2 more calibers...can't wait

It refers to the item not being regulated as a firearm as a standalone product, but not so when marketed or sold as a kit.

If you go to the glock store website, they are now shipping just the 80% frame by itself and the other parts as a separate shipment.

The clamshell jig, drill bits and metal frame rail inserts that were originally part of the frame purchase are now sold as a separate "builders tool set".

Separate packaging but shipped all in the same box.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Say what you will about glockstore, but they did a good job with this thing.

More ergonomic than any of the p80 products.

That locking block though..... don’t k ow if it’s ever going to come back out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Looking good Sticky, must have been like Christmas !
    That's about when I ordered it... :innocent0
    Say what you will about glockstore, but they did a good job with this thing.

More ergonomic than any of the p80 products.

That locking block though..... don’t k ow if it’s ever going to come back out.
    I have actually taken mine back out to replace the slide stop with a Vickers ss. It was tight, but a large flat screwdriver supported by a small piece of flat stock across the frame behind the locking block and I was able to pry/slide it out with little difficulty, surprisingly, as mine was tight as well.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    There is only one thing that I don't like about it really and that's the front rail/locking block and the fact that it only has a single pin in the back end. I realize there isn't really room to put one in the front easily, but there is a tendency for the front of the locking block/rail to lift a little, at least on my build and it causes the front of the slide to ride up just a tad higher than the rear. I can see where it is starting to polish the front of the rails from the very slight angle of the front rails. I know I can true them up, but I'll let it run in for a while as I suspect it will polish itself in just fine and the GGP slide is very smooth as is, so..... we'll see.

It hasn't caused me any issues, but I only have about a box of ammo through it so far in it's initial 'let's see if it works' test. It ran fine and shot well, so we'll do more testing with it here soon as I can get back to the range. I like the design otherwise, fits my hand well with a pinky extension or even better with the extended ETS mags.

Only thing I changed from stock parts (other than the slide and bbl) was the Vickers extended slide stop, as I found the factory ss to be a little tough to operate with the GGP slide I have, a tungsten guide rod/spring assy from the Glock Store and I also knocked the corners off the front/lower trigger guard where they have it quite extended like P80 does, which I really don't like.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
      IMG_1315.jpg
      137.9 KB · Views: 271
    • IMG_1311.jpg
      IMG_1311.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 277
    • IMG_1310.jpg
      IMG_1310.jpg
      134.9 KB · Views: 293
    • IMG_1313.jpg
      IMG_1313.jpg
      131.8 KB · Views: 266

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Nice looking build Sticky

I went with OEM Glock parts. I is my first 80% build. It functions smoothly but I have not fired it yet. It feels very comfortable in my hand despite only being able to get two fingers on the grip. It points well. I have the ETS mags with the extended grip which does make it fit my hand better but I prefer the compactness of the stock mag.

Does anyone know if holsters like the serpa retention type will work with this frame?

Attachments

• AFA8453A-7B1C-4CCF-AE45-BA87DB8C4B36.jpg
      AFA8453A-7B1C-4CCF-AE45-BA87DB8C4B36.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 257

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks Joseph, looking good!!! I compromised with mags... I want my pinky finger on the grip, so I am running the Glock mag with the extra finger extension. It gives me a whole hand grip and isn't too much more sticking out there than a standard mag and far less than the extended ETS mags that I have a few of.

I did upgrade from the stock plastic Glock sights that I started with. I knew I wanted something, but I wasn't sure what to start with so I put the cheapies on there until I decided what to go with. I went with Ameriglo Hackathorn rear and a tritium front sight, so far I really like them.

I have tried a kydex holster from Bravo Concealment for a G43 and it fits pretty well, though I am running a leather G43 holster for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
      IMG_1327.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 242

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads