Any local shops stock Hornady Steel Match?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone? It would be worth the drive for me, since none of my local shops stock it. I know I could order it, but I want some for testing before I buy big lots.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I believe Cabelas in De had the 223 match on my last visit. Give them a call and see. It was in 50 round boxes if I recall correctly.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    have you looked on ammoseek, that stuff is around $15/box. is federal brass cased 9mm not working for you? lots of options under $10/box out there.

if you do want to try a bunch of different ammo, brownells has high prices but has free ship (and 10% or some fixed $ off) lots of times. a few other places have shipping capped at $10-15. also academy.com.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since some are asking, I hate losing brass, and from when I used it, Hornady Steel Match ammunition gave great performance and accuracy out of my competition guns. Low report, okay recoil with the 9mm, and I don't care that the steel cases are out rusting away on a field. Normally, I'd just reload more, but I'm moving in the next few weeks, so I have to pack up my reloading gear and supplies.

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    I haven't seen Steel Match in a while but I liked it for the same reasons you state - accurate but you don't need to worry about losing brass.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bought Blazer aluminum and used it at the last Peacemaker 3-gun match. It worked well with my RIA 9mm, but it's still supersonic and the recoil is brisk compared to the heavier Steel Match ammunition. Recoil is even more obvious with my CZs, with the light slide weight.

I really liked the Browning 147 FMJs they have at Cabelas, but it's not always in stock and it's brass cased. I hate losing those, since the brass is really nice and easy to reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom