• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I want an alternative to my Walther PPK/S for a concealable handgun. I was looking at the Glock 43 versus the M&P Shield. I found this YouTube commentary that seems favor the M&P Shield. What do you guys think? ;)

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Got the 43 and shields 9 and 45. All good guns. All concealable. Maybe the glock trigger better. Have nothing bad to say about any. Saw a good deal advertised on the shield, but don’t know if its the new 2.0 which is said to have a better trigger. If you need a safety, its the shield...can get one with and without. I do not have them on my guns, but you can have it and not use it. By the way, i have a PPK/S and its heavier than both 9s.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I own both. The G43 conceals very well and has a much nicer trigger out of the box. There are also lots of aftermarket parts, mag extenders, grips, triggers, holsters, etc... available from many vendors. Mags are generally cheaper and easier to find as well. It's a nice gun, and reliable. I've shot a couple of IDPA type events with the 43, with mag changes, etc... and it's remarkably accurate to 20 yards with the stock sights. The sight radius is short, but that's just the nature of the pistol. It's reliable and light enough to carry all day. It's an easy gun to shoot well without much practice versus the Shield which has a steeper learning curve due to the safety if you get it with one. The trigger feels cheap and not crisp at all on the Shield. I keep the shield in my safe now. I trust the Glock and have shot it a lot more now. It's a nice gun.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    My wife wanted a 9 that she could shoot so we started shopping around. The wife didn't like the feel of the shield but loved the g43. I wasn't looking for something for me but I loved the way the shield felt and picked up one of the performance center ones. Both are very nice shooting guns I just think the shield is more comfortable to shoot.

Ashecrimson

Apr 11, 2018
    I carry a shield 40 for my ccw. Like another said the trigger is my biggest complaint but it does conceal well in an alien gear holster.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From what I saw working in the firearms industry I would always choose a Glock over a Smitty. I don't have a lot of faith in their QA/QC. They're not Taurus, but they're not Glock either IMHO. And not being a snob. I would pick a Glock over an HK too. Just my .02.

FatTony

Aug 2, 2015
    Carroll County
    I purchased the M&P shield performance center in 9mm last year when Smith and Wesson offered the $75 rebate.
    Ported barrel and a sweet trigger.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I heard the 2.0 Shield has a better trigger. I am now leaning more towards the Glock 26 for the capacity. I will say though, I love my Walther PPK/S. I also have a Walther PP, but in 32 ACP which is worthless. Anyways; M&P Shield 2.0 or Glock 26. Hmm.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    G44

Get the taran tactical mad extentions for the G43 which gives it a great grip and you have the same capacity as the 26 and much concealable

I heard the 2.0 Shield has a better trigger. I am now leaning more towards the Glock 26 for the capacity. I will say though, I love my Walther PPK/S. I also have a Walther PP, but in 32 ACP which is worthless. Anyways; M&P Shield 2.0 or Glock 26. Hmm.

Before the boating accident, I had a Gen 1 Shield 9mm and a PPK/S. The Shield is lighter and more tame than the .380 PPK/S.
    My only gripe about the Shield is the slide release. That SOB is really hard to work. FWIW, I can hit my steel target (12"x 18") at 25yds without issue- I might miss one shot per mag. That is plenty good for a subcompact.
    I have no experience with a subcompact Glock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whichever ever one You shoot better .

While I like normal-ish Glocks well enough , the babys don't feel right to me at all . Meanwhile Gen 1 Shield ( 9mm) shot above expectations for Me .

This is a catagory you can't evaluate over the internet, you have to go hands on , very preferably live fire .

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Whichever ever one You shoot better .

While I like normal-ish Glocks well enough , the babys don't feel right to me at all . Meanwhile Gen 1 Shield ( 9mm) shot above expectations for Me .

This is a catagory you can't evaluate over the internet, you have to go hands on , very preferably live fire .

Agreed. Ive handled a G43 and liked it but haven't had a chance to try a shield yet. I know someone that loves their Sig 365 though too

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I do not know where east bfe is but consider both are good guns and the tie breaker is how they feel to you and how naturally u shoot each. Visit a range with rentals and shoot each. Continental in timonium, others. Might also shoot a G26 and the new sig 365. I shoot the wider pistols better, the sw shield 45/g27,33. That’s why you should try before u buy.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've owned both. I've carried both. To me, these are iwb self defense carry guns. Comfort is key. I got rid of the shield. The 43 disappears and until I get a 365 to try, the Glock is probably the best concealed carry pistol known to man :)

Most carry pistols are carried more than they are shot. Trigger means a hill of beans when all you need to do is land a center mass shot from a close distance. I wouldn't base a purchase decision on which trigger is best out of the box, since they both have great aftermarket options.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've owned both. I've carried both. To me, these are iwb self defense carry guns. Comfort is key. I got rid of the shield. The 43 disappears and until I get a 365 to try, the Glock is probably the best concealed carry pistol known to man :)

Most carry pistols are carried more than they are shot. Trigger means a hill of beans when all you need to do is land a center mass shot from a close distance. I wouldn't base a purchase decision on which trigger is best out of the box, since they both have great aftermarket options.

He's right you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom