• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Last idpa match at Sanners lake I wore a vest for the first time. Before that I was wearing a button up dress shirts. I was think about trying out a t shirt. I’m guessing there is a disadvantage to doing so as far as draw time, but any other reason not too.
    Is there a safety issue? Anyone else wear anything similar? Do clubs hosting matches frown upon this? Don’t see many people sporting a t shirt.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you want to game it, which is fine as it is a game, a sturdy vest that can be easily swept back is the way to go. if you want real-life practice for the way you actually carry, then do the match the way you actually carry, including t-shirt or button up shirt etc and even iwb.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    If they allowed AIWB I think that could be just as fast or faster than the vest. But, they don't so I think from a gaming stand point the vest is the way to go.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    if you want to game it, which is fine as it is a game, a sturdy vest that can be easily swept back is the way to go. if you want real-life practice for the way you actually carry, then do the match the way you actually carry, including t-shirt or button up shirt etc and even iwb.

Agree 100%

IDPA was suppose to immulate real life scenario.. as long the firearm is not visible and you can unholster safely.. you can use any cover garment you want.

During summer.. I typically use vented button up shirts (boat/fishing apparel).. it works fine.

Op:. Yes ppl at sanners sometime use just plain t-shirt.

Seen it.. done it myself (forgot to bring cover garment once or twice).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Depends on what type of IDPA competitor you are, if you want realistic practice firing no more than 18 rounds at attacking zombies from a canoe, while camping, then by all means, use your normal EDC rig and clothing. If you consider it a game, then add weight to the bottom of the strong side pocket of a vest, so it can sweep out of the way easier, have seen some ingeniously place velcro so a quick sweep will cause the vest to catch, and make draw/firing easier. I used a 5:11 shirt with a velcro side slit, pull the shirt, it comes apart, then draw and fire.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have a feeling I would start out with a tshirt and flip flops then lose a lot (or low scores) and one day show up looking like a SWAT team had an ebay sale. Sarcasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom