• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    My Business Partners Daughter is in the Army at Ft Benning. She is having difficulty at the range. She is not new to guns. She killed her first deer a 7 pt at age 12. However, she has been told she is pulling the trigger vs squeezing the trigger. Also in perfect military fashion it was determined that she has 20/45 vision in her right eye so she is now wearing glasses where she never has before. Her issue is trying to sight in her weapon M4 with a scope. Can anyone recommend a you tube video that will help her understand how to dial in a scope? Thanks

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There are arrows and letters on the adjustments and they zero just like irons for "right" on the side adjustment for windage and "up" on the top adjustment for elevation. They point in the direction that the bullets are going to strike in relation to the dot.

If for example her shots are striking low and right, then she needs to turn the elevation in the direction it says "up" and the windage in the opposite if the direction it says "right."

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Is the issue is trigger control or zeroing the scope? If it's zeroing and how a scope works with respect to how the crosshairs move vs. moving the group I like this video:

[YT]TiOpQY2ORo4[/YT]

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    No instructors to teach? Disappointing news, for real.

This US Army training video is too old, no scope, iron sights. Interesting none the less.
    Does have a bit of trigger control instruction. 11:30

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Is the issue is trigger control or zeroing the scope? If it's zeroing and how a scope works with respect to how the crosshairs move vs. moving the group I like this video:

[YT]TiOpQY2ORo4[/YT]

Good Question. My 1st question was she even on the target? I have some You Tube Videos I have used in the past, but with the wealth of knowledge here I thought I would throw it out and see what other info might be available. She went in as a JAG Officer so she has the ability to communicate in the off hours. I get the impression it is trying to dial in the scope. I was trying to get some info together so she can review it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Start close, 25 yards with POA marked above where POI should be in relation to the scope mount. Once dialed close, move on out.

Army zeroes at 25m since a 25m close zero is close enough to a 300m far zero. They fire groups of three and then draw a triangle with the three shots, adjust sights, and repeat as necessary or for the ammo allotted for zeroing.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    When I was a teenager I thought I could shoot and I was pretty good actually. But in Recruit training we learned the fundamentals of Marine Corps marksmanship. The PMI and coaches taught us everything we needed to know. Once we were out in the Fleet many of the coaches were not very good. In one of my platoons I had 3 Marines UNQ and they ended up on the same range to requal. During their grass week I went and checked their dominant eye. All three were right handed and left eye dominant. I told them to start shooting lefty. Only one stuck with it and she was the only one of those three to qualify. I think she shot sharpshooter but since she had gone unq she only got marksman.
    Don't know how boot camp works in the Army but getting advice from the outside world seems strange. I guess they can skype and tweet now days. I think I got to make 3 short phone calls. One to say I arrived alive, then I think 2 other short calls close to graduation. We watched tv once too, the salt and pepper wars.
    I still mostly ignore natural point of aim and muscle my weapon onto the bull.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if she's trying to get her scope zeroed, pull the upper and pull the bolt. set the upper on something steady, like sand bags. or put a bipod on and something under the back. look thru the barrel at a "target" 25-100yds away (could be a soda can, top of fence post, an actual target). adjust the scope dot or crosshairs until they're on the same target. just verify looking thru the barrel it's still on that target. put it all back together and shoot at 25 and fine tune as needed. if she wants to zero at 100 or some other distance, shoot at that distance and fine tune as needed.

if she has accuracy problems, first, there is almost zero recoil so nothing to be afraid of or needing to brace yourself for. second, make sure hearing protection is working. foam plugs with earmuffs over those should deaden the noise. get a solid front rest (bipod is best) and a solid rear rest (sandbag under the buttstock that you can squeeze to fine tune elevation is great). then just take up the trigger slack and then break the shot. trigger centered on first pad on index finger.

http://marksmanship.org/Competitions/USAMU/ShootingTips.htm

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/02/prone-shooting-tips-from-the-usamu/

have her find daniel horner or tyler payne there and get some advice!!!

https://www.army.mil/article/194127/army_marksmanship_unit_concludes_summer_of_domination

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    They have scopes now? We were taught in the early 70’s with the iron sights. Windage and elevation. What has her range NCO said to her? I had glasses also, those ratty black frame military issue ones. She needs to talk with her NCOIC, they should be instructing, correcting her. Good luck.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Okay here is the follow up to all your help. She qualified on Friday as a sharpshooter. I did learn that advanced degree recruits only get 4 days of range time vs 2 1/2 weeks in regular basic. Your help was greatly appreciated.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Okay here is the follow up to all your help. She qualified on Friday as a sharpshooter. I did learn that advanced degree recruits only get 4 days of range time vs 2 1/2 weeks in regular basic. Your help was greatly appreciated.

did she have an actual scope? normally would expect an ACOG or an M68 CCO red dot.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    did she have an actual scope? normally would expect an ACOG or an M68 CCO red dot.

Don't know what type. But her Dad did say she was recalling hunter safety when she was taught to shoot not necessarily how to shoot. She did say that her breathing was a problem, in that she was breathing through the shot originally instead of breath; hold; squeeze; exhale.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I actually enjoy the army rifle qualification due to the reactive pop-up targets (until the plastic silhouettes get shot out and your hits don't register)

after qual with m16 with irons and CCO, saw, and 24b day and night this last year I filled in as a range safety for the crew serves and coached a bunch of guys through successful qual cycles in the rain for 2 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom