• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I should have waited, just paid 25% more, but that was still a good deal. The deal now is, fantastic. Anyone needing DC & MD, I recommend this, check out the price.

You get both DC & MD 16hr with range qualification.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Repeatedly Swept at MSAR

I took the MD, DC, VA CCW course, offered through ASTC. While Mo, the instructor was great, my experience at MSAR, where the class was offered, was not too great.

This was a two-day course (Sat. & Sun.). On Saturday, the place was very busy. There was a wait for people to shoot. A couple of schmucks, sitting in the waiting area chairs, had their ARs out and one repeatedly swept the elevator area (the only way to go upstairs to the classroom).

This is the kind of thing that made me no longer a member at On Target. I suppose that this is to be expected at public ranges?:sad20:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    There were at least two more MDSers there, Klunatic and me. Nice to meet you, Song. :D

I agree with your assessment of the range facility... but I don't like indoor ranges anyway. The clientele at MSAR seems to be from the inner city, and there were a lot of folks who seemed like newbies on dates. I think that learning to shoot is a good thing, but I'd rather be somewhere else when that happens.

Definitely want to give a shout out to Mo, our instructor. 40+ years as a professional instructor, most of that as LEO. Laid back about terminology, unlike NRA classes and instructors, and he's got a lot of neat stories. Yes, he has a few rules: don't be late coming to class, and don't do anything on the range unless he tells you to. Other than that he's pretty easy going. I'd gladly take more classes from him. Pleasant surprise was that our qualifying target was a full size silhouette. My only negative observation was that our classroom was COLD! It was in the teens outside, and not much better inside.

I took the MD CCW course from another vendor last year, NOT an IP, located in Millersville, store name often disparaged, taught by retired LEO. $500, plus range fees. Not cheap. Significant misinformation taught in that class, including what they insisted was a legal prohibition on transporting loaded mags. The class was $300 for the two day classroom portion, plus $200 for the range part. Add to that we had to pay for the range rental individually (at On Target), as it wasn't covered in the class fee! And the target we had to qualify on was a 10" bull if I remember correctly.

Bottom line: if you want to take a CCW class, go to MSAR and ask for Mo. :party29:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    oh boy am i going to get in trouble here :smoke:, seriously in TROUBLE with these board bullies and other likeminded folks. but i have to comment on the info thus inputted. and i am going to get into enough trouble, i may get BANNED AGAIN, if so guys, thats the way it is with fraternities. i'll be replying a tad bit later on the serious topic of the overall introspection of what i can assess from the few responses on this thread, thus far. PLEASE STAY TUNED. if you read no reply from me here, good chance i got booted for TOS or something and my reply was erased.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    oh boy am i going to get in trouble here :smoke:, seriously in TROUBLE with these board bullies and other likeminded folks. but i have to comment on the info thus inputted. and i am going to get into enough trouble, i may get BANNED AGAIN, if so guys, thats the way it is with fraternities. i'll be replying a tad bit later on the serious topic of the overall introspection of what i can assess from the few responses on this thread, thus far. PLEASE STAY TUNED. if you read no reply from me here, good chance i got booted for TOS or something and my reply was erased.

Oh boy. LOL

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Oh boy. LOL

:lol2:

I was at MSAR too. Was in the retail area, guys hanging around. One person in my class brought a Glock 40. He was carrying the case and another asked to see it. So, the guy opens his case (and I start sauntering away now..) to "show him". The showee.. surprised even the owner, he reached right in the case quickly, pulled out the gun waving it around. I nudged a guy next to me while walking away to follow. He was not concerned at all, but my take is I don't want to be around that. I don't think the fundamentals of gun safety is something many the patrons there have ever met. I've been to many ranges, and only two I've been to, I've not seen something commensurate to that happening.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    UPDATE

I took the MD, DC, VA CCW course, offered through ASTC. While Mo, the instructor was great, my experience at MSAR, where the class was offered, was not too great.

This was a two-day course (Sat. & Sun.). On Saturday, the place was very busy. There was a wait for people to shoot. A couple of schmucks, sitting in the waiting area chairs, had their ARs out and one repeatedly swept the elevator area (the only way to go upstairs to the classroom).

This is the kind of thing that made me no longer a member at On Target. I suppose that this is to be expected at public ranges?:sad20:

***UPDATE***
    I received a phone call from a Jim Lucas, at MSAR. He regretted my experience at MSAR, and asked for the approximate time that this happened, so that he could check his video.

He seemed genuinely concerned about preventing this kind of thing from happening. I appreciated the call.

I hope he finds the culprits, and deals with them severely.

I used to go to the old MSAR, about 30 years ago. This past weekend was my first time at the new facility. The facility is very nice. I was not knocking the facility, but the two knuckleheads within, behaving poorly.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

I was in this past weekend's class as well. I took the Utah class from Mo four years ago and he's an excellent instructor. I jokingly asked him if the model 10 on the desk was his gun way back when he was on the force and he jokingly responded that "no, we had flintlocks back then".

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    So there were 5 of us? Too bad we didn't know each other. Guess we have to come up with a secret handshake or something. :lol2:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So there were 5 of us? Too bad we didn't know each other. Guess we have to come up with a secret handshake or something. :lol2:

And a cool Bear(waterBuffalo)skin.

Attachments

• hand.jpg
      hand.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 194

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

:innocent0

storms a-brewing. my thread will NOT be in the "water cooler" since i think it germane to the training and safety--and MSI, which is the sticking point that may get me reprimanded/banned.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

:innocent0

storms a-brewing. my thread will NOT be in the "water cooler" since i think it germane to the training and safety--and MSI, which is the sticking point that may get me reprimanded/banned.

Woodstock, I've known you for a few years now, and have always been respectful, but I wish that you would just post what you are going to post versus cryptic messages leading up to the big reveal.

And I'm really curious as to how MSI is getting brought into this thread???

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Woodstock, I've known you for a few years now, and have always been respectful, but I wish that you would just post what you are going to post versus cryptic messages leading up to the big reveal.

And I'm really curious as to how MSI is getting brought into this thread???

I am thinking in his delusion he meant MSAR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom