• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have a question for Keltec RFB owners. I tried the RFB with my YHM Nitro suppressor and went about adjusting the gas system so the bolt locks back reliably. Without the suppressor, my RFB reliably locks the bolt back on an empty magazine when the gas port adjusting knob is at +8 clicks up from bottom. When I put on the Nitro suppressor, I started increasing the clicks to see when it would no longer lock the bolt back and I ended up completely removing the gas adjustment knob. The Nitro was producing so much back pressure that I can completely open the gas port knob and the gun would still be able to lock the bolt back on an empty magazine.

I'm thinking the back pressure with the suppressor on is on the high side, but have no way to tell because I couldn't get it to fail to lock the bolt on an empty magazine. So, I don't know when the cutoff is. Is there any way to tell if the rifle is being overgassed, by looking at the bolt or bolt carrier for indications of over gassing?

I have used this suppressor on my 5.56 AR rifles and have not had any overgassing problems. No gas blowing back into my face like some people have, but I was using the 7.62 end cap that came with the suppressor. Even if I changed to a 5.56 end cap, I don't think the suppressor will be overgassing my ARs. However, it seems to cause my 7.62 RFB to be overgassed. I'm hesitant to try the suppressor on my 7.62 AR rifle because it doesn't have an adjustable gas port.

Edit: oh yes, I have the 24" barrel version of the RFB.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an RFB, and that sounds about right. The manual even talks about how to use the gas with a suppressor, and they recommend turning it all the way open to vent the most gas possible. There is a suppressor piston, but it's designed so to minimize gas leakage... which means that it recoils like crazy, and some people have had their guns broken by it.

The RFB gas system is really rather annoying, TBH... they should have had the Tac47 guy do an auto-plug for it.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I was afraid this was the case. It seems the people at Keltec didn't design the RFB for suppressor use. I'm having regrets about this rifle and think the Tavor would have been a better choice in 7.62.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was afraid this was the case. It seems the people at Keltec didn't design the RFB for suppressor use. I'm having regrets about this rifle and think the Tavor would have been a better choice in 7.62.
    Take heart: lots of people with Tavors complain about them not being suppressor friendly either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom