• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Ya know, I'm having some second thoughts about the removal of suppressors from the NFA and the supposition of can prices going down. Maybe someone else here has already said this but, I'm starting, if it did happen, prices on cans would actually go up....at least in the beginning. There'd be plenty of gouging going on. Just a thought that popped into my head today. What say you all?

How would this affect the "home made" suppressors? You can make 80% ARs and pistols. Would you then be able to make the freeze plug suppressor without the need to go thru the NICS background check?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    oh for sure. I do agree that the initial reaction might be a spike in prices as demand would FAR exceed initial supply. Give it a year for new companies to pop up and for existing ones to ramp up production and you'll see more inventory, more competition, and thus lower prices.

That was my thought. It's like the latest, greatest new gadget. Everyone HAS to have it. price/demand will definitely reflect that. Couple years later, everyone has theirs, sales level off, eventually drop off. New companies spring up-prices go down to a more realistic rate.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How would this affect the "home made" suppressors? You can make 80% ARs and pistols. Would you then be able to make the freeze plug suppressor without the need to go thru the NICS background check?

In theory you should be able to.

If it ever passes, should be interesting to see how the ATF responds when a few thousand people make these.

I have a feeling they will be treated as an 80% under federal law.

All good points...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    All good points...

Emphasis mine.

Sec. 4.

Preemption of certain State laws in relation to firearm silencers

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: "Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.".

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    From the tracking site: "Prognosis: 0% chance of being enacted"

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    It would have to be an amendment to some other bill. The way the CMP 1911s were.
    At least I think that was added to another bill.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I heard yesterday that if the Hearing Protection Act passes, then suppressors will automatically become illegal in SOME states where they now are legal. It has to do with legal verbage in some states that basically says that all suppressors not federally registered are illegal. Please tell me I am wrong.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    We can count on Maryland to make Silent Death Devices illegal if they become legal at the federal level.

Or the state will regulate the snot out of them.

And if the bill is signed into law out side of a normal GA session, they'll convene a special session to further suppress our rights. Pun intended.

Cuzz the Left has already started their Quiet Mass Murderer campaign.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    We can count on Maryland to make Silent Death Devices illegal if they become legal at the federal level.

And if the bill is signed into law out side of a normal GA session, they'll convene a special session to further suppress our rights. Pun intended.

So I'm wondering, how this would work. I have two suppressors in NFA jail right now. If this bill passes, I would assume I could just go to pick up my stuff and get $400 back from the feds. There are quite a few people I know who have suppressors with tax stamps issued. If they are taken off the NFA, and Maryland makes them illegal, how would the State compensate those who have them already?

I guess time will tell.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MD will probably not make them illegal if you already own them. But they will prevent new purchases going forward.

Like the FSA2013 ban. Banned after a certain date, those owned previously have be possessed.

Maybe there will be a short period to buy what you can. :)

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    Cautiously optimistic that this could actually happen...knowing the way our government is, it could be years for this to go through the system...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

They have always been legal at the federal level, one only needed to pay the $200 tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom