• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    sigh maybe next year..... there should be a rule against the state dragging their feet to prolong this sh*t without good cause

What needs to happen is for an example to be made.

“Oh, you didn’t feel it necessary to respond? Ok, guess we’ll proceed on the merits of the plaintiff’s case. Toodles.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I like this one:
    And in Heller II, the District of Columbia Circuit used
    the two-step framework and intermediate-level scru-
    tiny in upholding the District’s laws regarding assault
    weapons and large-capacity magazines.

Did they forget to look up the dissent, who the judges were on that case, and their future judicial careers? :rofl:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    "Instead, it allows a lawful owner of a handgun
    to wear, carry, or transport the handgun without a
    permit in a public place in connection with a wide
    range of activities..."

Hmmm... now go ask the guy(I believe he's now prohibited) that stopped at the RoFo outside of FreeState gun range how that stop for a soft drink and a snack on the way home went for him...:rolleyes:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What needs to happen is for an example to be made.

“Oh, you didn’t feel it necessary to respond? Ok, guess we’ll proceed on the merits of the plaintiff’s case. Toodles.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Isn't that the kind of thing that happened in United States v. Miller?

In reality, Ragon was in favor of the gun control law and ruled the law unconstitutional because he knew that Miller, who was a known bank robber and had just testified against the rest of his gang in court, would have to go into hiding as soon as he was released. He knew that Miller would not pay a lawyer to argue the case at the Supreme Court and would simply disappear. Therefore, the government's appeal to the Supreme Court would be a sure win because Miller and his attorney would not even be present at the argument.[2] [3]

Neither the defendants nor their legal counsel appeared at the Supreme Court. A lack of financial support and procedural irregularities prevented counsel from traveling.[4]
    On May 15, 1939 the Supreme Court, in an opinion by Justice McReynolds, held:

The National Firearms Act, as applied to one indicted for transporting in interstate commerce a 12-gauge shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long without having registered it and without having in his possession a stamp-affixed written order for it, as required by the Act, held:

Not unconstitutional as an invasion of the reserved powers of the States. Citing Sonzinsky v. United States, 300 U. S. 506,[1] and Narcotic Act cases. P. 307 U. S. 177. The conclusion was in the favor of the NFA.
    Not violative of the Second Amendment of the Federal Constitution. P. 307 U. S. 178.

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Reading the brief makes my head hurt. Do they really believe that Wrenn was about a complete ban on carrying in DC and not DC's version of G&S?? WOW.....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    That was total BS they Maryland submitted to the court. So if maryland says you must prove apprehended danger then can you use that when you have to go before the ALJ hearing after you are turned down by MSP?

The appellant suggests that the phrase “reasonable precaution against apprehended **298 danger” is the sole criterion for defining “good and substantial reason.” He urges that “apprehended danger” is to be viewed from the subjective standpoint of the applicant.

purely subjective to 'Me". I live in apprehended danger every day of my life.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Does Malpasso V. Pallozzi go into the fact that only .4% of the Mayrland population have Wear and Carry. Got the stat off an USCCA article and that if nothing else show suppression. That was close to the botton with New York, New Jersey, and California.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    It’s odd hearing stats from the restricted world.

Our office, of no special privilege such as threats, money, and such has about 30 something employees and at least 12-14 people with cc permits. I don’t think folks carry at work, but they have the permits. There was even an unofficial “ccw party class” with about 12 employees and another 8 or so family members and friends.

The reject / approval stats are interesting. Last I heard Hawaii had a near zero, and maybe full zero, disapproval rating. Basically when you tell everyone no for many years, they stop applying. See. Nothing to reject. And you get the Young case. Zero permits were issued in Hawaii for the last year I recall stats on.

I’d venture to say the same is true for Maryland and other states. If they’re going to tell you no, why waste the time and money applying. Self fulfilling prophecy. Just as .gov intended.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    And how many of those "thousands of permits" are for personal protection vs assumed risk positions?

The licensing division is apparently categorizing those with permits for Top Secret clearances as personal protection instead of assumed risk positions, despite the clearance being directly job related.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    All the stats are irrelevant. In this case, the petitioner was denied a carry permit, the only reason being lack of G&S. To make an analogy with the first amendment context, it does not matter if for example WAMTA accepts 99.9% of advertisements, if they deny even one purely based on viewpoint, its unconstitutional. They need to defend G&S based on history, text, and tradition. It was a waste of precious words. Honestly, I think that they phoned this one in and just wrote a "greatest hits" brief because they knew there were other carry cases being held. 5 strictly carry cases now are before the court.

What I really want to know is how many Bloomberg lawyers embedded in the AG office participated in this. Yes, its true, Bloomberg has "donated" and paid for legal eagles in the Maryland AG office. Its hard to even believe thats legal, not some form of illegal interest-peddling corruption.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have my permit. I can carry to and from my office. If I go out to lunch, I can't carry. Despite the fact that I can prescribe unlimited quantities of narcotics from my iPhone.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    All the stats are irrelevant. In this case, the petitioner was denied a carry permit, the only reason being lack of G&S. To make an analogy with the first amendment context, it does not matter if for example WAMTA accepts 99.9% of advertisements, if they deny even one purely based on viewpoint, its unconstitutional. They need to defend G&S based on history, text, and tradition. It was a waste of precious words. Honestly, I think that they phoned this one in and just wrote a "greatest hits" brief because they knew there were other carry cases being held. 5 strictly carry cases now are before the court.

What I really want to know is how many Bloomberg lawyers embedded in the AG office participated in this. Yes, its true, Bloomberg has "donated" and paid for legal eagles in the Maryland AG office. Its hard to even believe thats legal, not some form of illegal interest-peddling corruption.
    I know that's not legal on the federal level, Uncle Sam can't accept services without paying market value for them.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Page 1 second paragraph.

So "apprehended danger" must be the only "good and substantial reason" you need. :liar: :sarcasm:

Luckily enough, living in a gang crime infested sh1t hole like Bloodymore City is not a good enough or substantial enough reason. Unless you're a pol, of course...

ETA:

I find it incongruous that even though my level of "apprehended danger" is not sufficient for Maryland to grant me a W&C, my Utah CCL renewal arrived in the mail today.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I have my permit. I can carry to and from my office. If I go out to lunch, I can't carry. Despite the fact that I can prescribe unlimited quantities of narcotics from my iPhone.

you cant appeal for an unlimited restriction since MSP changed the policy earlier this year?

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Denied on informal, we’ll see what happens with the board. I’m not the business owner.

I hope that is part of the case right there. Under Maryland law you are not allowed to use deadly force to protect personal property. Of the few permits that have been issued, the majority are under association with businesses to protect personal property. Money, medications, valuables, and information. Almost none were issued just to protect life and limb, which are the only reasons allowed under Maryland law to use deadly force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom