• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What are thoughts for the weather this afternoon in Carroll County. Deer were not out yesterday evening in my area despite the weather coming in. Thinking about hunting late afternoon.... I don’t mind getting me wet, but I’m on the fence about whether the weather will have the deer down.

Go hunt. Opening weekend and the rut make deer do weird things. I'd be out there if I want sitting on a plane. I watched a massive 8 pt chase 8 does across three fields at 1300 yesterday.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    What are thoughts for the weather this afternoon in Carroll County. Deer were not out yesterday evening in my area despite the weather coming in. Thinking about hunting late afternoon.... I don’t mind getting me wet, but I’m on the fence about whether the weather will have the deer down.

I would definitely be out this eve,but have family obligations.

BTW.....I find it ironic someone from Kent Co coming to Carroll to hunt.When I was a kid,there were almost no deer on my parents property.If I found a deer track ,I couldnt wait to get home to tell my dad.We used to hunt the Shore back then.Now I get 2 to 3 deer /year on home ground.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    My dad and I sat from 6 am til 5 pm yesterday. I only seen 3 deer all day (a fawn around 9 and 2 more around 4:30). My dad saw 4 does and a 5 pt at 3 pm. We only heard about 1/2 the shots we typically do on opening day. Just didn't seem like much of anything was moving other than the squirrels.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Go hunt. Opening weekend and the rut make deer do weird things. I'd be out there if I want sitting on a plane. I watched a massive 8 pt chase 8 does across three fields at 1300 yesterday.

BTW.....I find it ironic someone from Kent Co coming to Carroll to hunt.When I was a kid,there were almost no deer on my parents property.If I found a deer track ,I couldnt wait to get home to tell my dad.We used to hunt the Shore back then.Now I get 2 to 3 deer /year on home ground.

Y’all have me sold, I’m on my way up.

Remrug, I would love to hunt the shore, but QA Kent and Talbot are shotgun only and it is nearly impossible to find private land in Caroline. I have a family farm on Kent island that I use for archery but I hate hunting shotgun. Also blue tongue has the heard light over here. From the other God’s country side of the state, I appreciate the beauty of Carroll county :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Younger people especially tend not to believe this, but there was a time when killing a deer in this state was infrequent enough to be a big deal to a lot of hunters. Of course, pheasant were commonplace then too. Times change, as they say.....

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Younger people especially tend not to believe this, but there was a time when killing a deer in this state was infrequent enough to be a big deal to a lot of hunters. Of course, pheasant were commonplace then too. Times change, as they say.....

I’m 41 and remember no deer and pheasant everywhere. Change doesn’t take long.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Deer were moving today - saw about a dozen does total - but only a four point came in range. Let him know walk, next year for him and avoid spooking his big brothers from coming near the stand

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I didnt see a thing today, well all weekend for that matter. Just got done drying out and oiling my gun and will be back at it tomorrow.

As a meat hunter, nothing gets a pass :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I didnt see a thing today, well all weekend for that matter. Just got done drying out and oiling my gun and will be back at it tomorrow.

As a meat hunter, nothing gets a pass :D

I am torn. I am absolutely a meat hunter...but the house I moved to has a TON of deer. It’s not all that hard to harvest one. Next year I’ll probably shoot one early and then try to hold out for a larger buck. Spice it up a little and try to make it a bit more challenging. But if it’s getting later in to the season and no dice, drop another doe.

This year was a fawn, two does and a 5-pt from my property. Might spend a Friday in gun season scouting out Monocacy and if I see a nice buck try to harvest it. Might do late season somewhere for a day or two. Either way it is going to neighbors or hunters feed the hungry. One of those does went to a neighbor. I’ve got about 110lbs of venison in the freezer right now. A few packages from last year. The fawn was an itty bitty 9lbs. Both does were 29lbs (and gave the neighbor one) and the 5-pt was 55lbs.

Unless or until I start butchering my own, no more fawns or button bucks. At least when I can identify them. Absolutely not worth it (and it was an early season fawn. I am sure it’d be twice as much meat as a late season). And since I’ve got a lot of choices...

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

Yeah....and remember when you were allowed one either sex in archery and one buck in rifle season in Carroll?

2 deer and you were done for the year.Hard to believe how many deer are around now.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yeah....and remember when you were allowed one either sex in archery and one buck in rifle season in Carroll?

2 deer and you were done for the year.Hard to believe how many deer are around now.

I remember the two deer and you were done and also remember when they changed rifle season from one week to two weeks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yup. More hunters looking for fewer deer back then. Now a lot more land is developments. So fewer hunters and less land to hunt on. I’d guess a lot of the more rural areas see most of the deer harvested every year and the suburban deer move back out over the winter, spring and summer.

Obviously not all rural deer get harvested.

My neighborhood there is about 300 acres of state park you can bow hunt and people do. The neighborhood itself is probably 2000-3000 acres total including the part of the park that is not open to hunting. There probably are some other neighbors who hunt, but the only ones I am aware of are me and I have access to 8.8 acres between my property and my neighbor who encourages me to hunt on their property. That and a neighbor/friend who has I think 7 acres. The farm someone hunts also, but pretty sure he is only killing big bucks and the farm is getting developed in the next year or two with about 15-18 homes and a preservation tact. I doubt it’ll be hunter any more.

There are a ridiculous number of deer back in here. The biggest toll on deer are probably the ones who end up wandering across the rural highway and get creamed (I’d guess that’s at least 15-20 a year).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw this as well. Supposedly legit and confirmed by dnr.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s exciting!

I don’t want Sika to totally displace WT, but I wouldn’t cry a river if they did expand out to the western shore in some numbers.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Got out for a few hours this morning on our lease in Harford County. Looked outside at 0430, and my driveway was partially dry, looked at the weather forecast and the radar looked ok for a while. Got to the farm, dry all the way over. As soon as I got there snow then rain until I got out of the stand and headed home. That’s when it stopped. I didn’t see any deer this morning, but a flock of 20 or so turkeys were out in the field and in the edge of the woods.
    44AA58D2-9E72-4B78-9147-28BFAF5913E4.jpg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I had a flock of darn near 30 roost near me saturday night. 23 walk by me during last week. We need to kill some on our place. We can't run the deer feeders in the morning or the Turkey wipe them out and the deer don't bother them.

Had a big "buck", I think, in my scope Saturday morning 6:40 and 5:15 at night. Darm bushnell I have on the 06 doesn't gather enough light and I past on shooting both times. Just bought a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 for $299 on cabelas. Wife wants it under the tree, but this is not happening next year or January rifle. Sum-bitch has a scrape in the middle of our access trail 5' wide. He was standing in it at 5:10 when I was trying to leave. I sighted him, zoomed the scope and thought I'm not wasting this deer on a poor shot choice. My buddy saw him and said he's a chocolate dark racked one.

Come this weekend he's on everyone's radar on the farm. Me and my buddy are off Friday and the boys and my daughter will be in Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom