Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Optics
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 19th, 2020, 04:06 PM #1

Help dialing in a green dot scope

I'm looking for someone to help me dial in a Green dot scope I used to replace the iron sights on a Marlin 1894 I recently bought. I'll obviously pay your range time and if you want some extra for your time I open to it.

I originally had Romeo 5 red dot that I zeroed on a special target at an indoor range that was made to shoot ton one spot and would hit the lower spot at 100.
When I got to an outdoor range It was not even close and outdoors turning up the brightness seemed to make a splotchy looking double red dot.

This is when I found out about astigmatism and red dots. Went back to the eye doctor to have him re-correct for astigmatism. Got a set of polarized set of shooting glasses then swapped the Romeo for a Holosun green dot. Took that to a range and even though the green dot looked good could not hit jack at 25 yards. Got a cheap laser boresight dropped that in an indeed noticed the dot was was way off looking at the target at the other end of my condo.
d
Adjusted and went back to the indoor range. Still could not hit crap at 25 yards. Pulled the target in towards what it would have been in my condo distance wise and now it's showing right hand corner of the target.

Obvioulsy I do not grasp how many clicks to move the dot correctly( I do know elevation right turns go up right with windage per the sight's guide).

At this point I'm wasting time and money and ammo is dear right now and a hard to come by so I'm looking for direct instruction.
wb3jma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:15 PM #2

Where are you located?
hillbilly grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:24 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3jma View Post
I'm looking for someone to help me dial in a Green dot scope I used to replace the iron sights on a Marlin 1894 I recently bought. I'll obviously pay your range time and if you want some extra for your time I open to it.

I originally had Romeo 5 red dot that I zeroed on a special target at an indoor range that was made to shoot ton one spot and would hit the lower spot at 100.
When I got to an outdoor range It was not even close and outdoors turning up the brightness seemed to make a splotchy looking double red dot.

This is when I found out about astigmatism and red dots. Went back to the eye doctor to have him re-correct for astigmatism. Got a set of polarized set of shooting glasses then swapped the Romeo for a Holosun green dot. Took that to a range and even though the green dot looked good could not hit jack at 25 yards. Got a cheap laser boresight dropped that in an indeed noticed the dot was was way off looking at the target at the other end of my condo.
d
Adjusted and went back to the indoor range. Still could not hit crap at 25 yards. Pulled the target in towards what it would have been in my condo distance wise and now it's showing right hand corner of the target.

Obvioulsy I do not grasp how many clicks to move the dot correctly( I do know elevation right turns go up right with windage per the sight's guide).

At this point I'm wasting time and money and ammo is dear right now and a hard to come by so I'm looking for direct instruction.

Im not sure where you are located but there are many things that could be going on. Im going to recommend A few things you can do at home.

1) Make sure your device is secured tightly to your rifle/rail. If you are insure grab ahold of the optic firmly and try move/bend/twist it while attached to the rifle. If you can detect ANY movement, then its not secure enough. Make sure its tight.

2) set your elevation and windage to the median point of the optic. You do this by turning the adjustment screw counterclockwise until you reach the endstop. Then turn clockwise and count the number if clicks. When you reach the end, note that number. Then divide by 2 and turn counterclockwise exactly that number of clicks. Do this for both elevation and windage. This should put you roughly in the middle of the optics adjustment limits.

3) Try bore sighting. You can do this from a window sighting something outside. I painted a 2 yellow spot on a tree about 50yds from my rear sliding glass door. However you can use anything that you can see clearly from 50 to 100 ft away. Something 6-8 diameter at 100ft is pretty good.

You setup the rifle in shooting rest or bipod or create some home method of securing the rifle. Then remove the bolt and look through the barrel and adjust the position until you can see that distant feature you are using as a reference.

Then while keeping the rifle in the same spot you adjust the dot on the optic to move towards your reference object.

You may need to look through the barrel a few times as its easy to move
It while adjusting the optic. However after a few successive attempts you should be able to position the dot directly over the reference object and confirm that the object is in the center of the bore too.

At this point you should be hitting paper at 50 yds no matter what rifle round you are using.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:33 PM #4

I'll add to ToolAA's advice one additional pointer. When testing, fire three shots and calculate the median of all of those. Make your adjustments based on that derived POI. Adjusting based on only one shot will have you "chasing zero." The unreliability of a single shot is verified by the fact that your three shots likely didn't all hole out at a single whole. Rinse and repeat.
hillbilly grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:38 PM #5
Legalize the Constitution

Legalize the Constitution

Just curious why you went with a green dot, they are generally more difficult to see outdoors than a red dot.
sailskidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:20 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly grandpa View Post
I'll add to ToolAA's advice one additional pointer. When testing, fire three shots and calculate the median of all of those. Make your adjustments based on that derived POI. Adjusting based on only one shot will have you "chasing zero." The unreliability of a single shot is verified by the fact that your three shots likely didn't all hole out at a single whole. Rinse and repeat.
For getting it near center, one shot is fine.

Once you have it close for the desired sight in distance, then a 5 shot group is best to fine tune. If needed.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:43 PM #7

Laser bore sighters are utterly useless, and you likely would have been closer to zero without ever messing with it. If you chamber that bore sighter multiple times i'd bet my bottom dollar you get a different aiming point each time.

Bore sighting by eye is easy and you will quickly know if your dot and barrel are both on paper, that's all you want to confirm. Although the logic is backwards when bore sighting by eye. If the barrel is looking right, meaning you need to have it looking more left, you actually want to move your red dot windage "left", unlike when you are making adjustments while shooting. When you move windage "left" as indicated on the red dot, you may notice that the aiming point is actually moving to the right. Think about it for a second - If the dot moves right and you take another shot with the same aiming point, that same aiming point as now moved the barrel direction to the left, and is therefore moving the POI to your intended zero. Sorry if this is confusing, I am doing my best to explain this.

But since it seems you are on paper still, skip the bore sighting and get a good sandbag rest and take some controlled, deliberate shots at your intended zero and as ToolAA recommended, measure the average spread (don't be scientific, just rough average of center), and then measure how many inches you are off from your original aiming point and make the appropriate adjustments.

When sighting in, first you should determine at what range that you want to sight in your firearm. Depending on caliber, a 25 yard zero will be quite high at 50 and sometimes unusably high at 100. I don't know enough about the Marlin and your caliber to make a recommendation here.

Additionally, use a sand bag rest and take controlled, deliberate shots. I've yet to meet someone who can accurately zero a rifle off hand. If you think you can, you are lying. Minute of man at 50 yard zero? maybe. Reliable and useful zero, no.

When aiming at a target, it helps me to aim for the corner of one of the squares on the target, because it's an easier and more repeatable reference point than just aiming in the center of the bullseye, just my opinion.

Most red dots have 0.5 MOA adjustment increments, so 2 clicks equals 1 inch of point of impact (POI) shift at 100 yards. At 50 yards, it takes 4 clicks to move POI by 1 inch.

At 25 yards, 1MOA is equal to 1/4 of an inch. So to move your POI by 1 inch at 25 yards, you would adjust your windage/elevation by 8 clicks

If you are shooting "bottom left of the target" at 25 yards... let's just call it 5 inches low and 5 inches left, then you would adjust your windage by 40 clicks "Right", and 40 clicks "up" on your elevation.

Someone feel free to check my math.
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:03 PM #8

Some dots are just trash too. Not saying they're all bad, but I recently tried to help my dad with a Vortex that simply wouldn't hold zero. Depending on what you have, that could be the issue.
WildWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:41 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly grandpa View Post
Where are you located?
Belcamp, MD in Harford County
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:42 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailskidrive View Post
Just curious why you went with a green dot, they are generally more difficult to see outdoors than a red dot.
Read the above about astigmatism.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Optics