Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 19th, 2020, 04:39 AM #1

Encounter at the AGC Pistol Range

Hey folks,

So, I noticed the forum for the AGC isn't available for posting anymore, and I wasn't really sure where else to put this. Long story short, kinda got into it briefly with a dude at the AGC Pistol Range this weekend who just straight up ignored a cease-fire call. It's been bugging me since, and I wanted to ask people's opinion on what I should have done; I'm a fairly new member to the AGC still, so I know the rules and regs, but not where the fine lines should be.

I do want to start by saying the point of this post isn't to bitch about what happened, but to honestly ask what I should have done/should do if this happens again in the future; hope it doesn't come off like I'm just pissing and moaning.

I was at the AGC with two guests; we were at the pistol range since the rifle range was at max capacity and had people waiting. About a half hour after we got there and set up, this older guy (mid-50s/early 60's, I'd guess), shows up with two guests, and is training his wife(?) on a XD; weirdly enough, they had the target at like less than 5 yards, so I don't even know if they were making sure they were hitting the backstop. I was keeping a close eye on my people, so I didn't pay much attention to the guy until later on, as he was toward the opposite end of the line from us.

We were shooting for about two hours; the range got a bit more crowded, but everybody was being pretty good about timing cease-fires on the half-hour in sync with the Rifle range, when we heard them call it. I should mention, there was no RSO on duty at the pistol range, which isn't unusual in my experience at the AGC. Me and my guests were getting ready to call it for the day, and there were a few people who'd unfortunately gotten there like 10 minutes after the last cease-fire and were waiting, so I was listening for the call over at the rifle range. Like normal, at 3:30, I called cease-fire when I heard the RSO on the speakers at the rifle range, everybody passed the call down the line, and every shooter responded accordingly... except this dude.

He had his wife with the XD, was standing past the firing line with her, coaching her, and they just kept doing their thing; I figured maybe they didn't hear, but the folks past them all the way at the opposite end had made their weapons safe, and stepped off the concrete, even. We called it a few more times, more shots fired in response, so I went down the line and tried to get the guy's attention. I was behind the firing line, I made sure I didn't sneak up on them or anything. Dude whips around to me, shouts, "You can wait," and then has his wife crack off another two shots, while everyone just stands there and stares; it's probably been a good two minutes since we first called cease-fire. Then the guy finally turns to me, and is like, "What, you wanna call a ceasefire?" I just calmly--not gonna lie, internally pissed--told him we'd been calling it, that people were waiting, and walked back to my lane.

So... TL;DR what should I have done? There was no RSO, and I can't leave my guests unattended, but the dude just straight up ignored multiple calls for cease-fire. Regs say that if a cease-fire is called--doesn't matter by who--you obey it and make your weapon safe; it's not like we were just calling it randomly, either. Is this just an obvious case of, "You met an asshole at the range, get over it," or should I have taken it up with a RSO?

Again, I'm not posting this to bitch, but it just didn't sit right with me. Maybe I'm being a Karen about this, I don't know. Thoughts?
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:25 AM #2
Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect

tragedy of the commons
travistheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:44 AM #3

Cease fire means cease fire immediately not when you feel like it. To me that is a safety concern.
I am not a member of AGC and have never been there but, other places I have been usually had a mechanism of reporting members that were in violation of the rules. At the last club I belonged to every shooter had to sign into a log book when they were shooting with the time and what lane they were on. If AGC has something like this it should be easy enough to identify who he is.

This guy should be reported. There are plenty of rules at gun clubs that a violation of can easily be brushed off as no big deal. Unsafe gun handling or failing to cease fire when it is called are two that should never be ignored. His statement that you can wait shows he intentionally violated a major safety rule. Sure you were doing a cease fire for target changes this time but, what if someone was injured or there was something unsafe down range he didn’t see and he decided to ignore the ceasefire?
This is one of those times it’s not being a Karen to report someone. That dude needs to understand where the line is an that he crossed it. Report him.
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:29 AM #4
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

As stated above, cease fire means just that. Anyone can call it at any time. You should have went and found a RSO. I'm sure the other shooters would have confirmed your story.
FWIW- You can leave your guests unattended- provided they remain off the pad and your firearms are cased or have ECI's installed.
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:38 AM #5

He probably voted for biden.
Tebonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:48 AM #6
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Should have reported him to an RSO. That was a level 4 infraction that would have resulted in his badge being pulled.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:52 AM #7

I just went through the RSO training course not too long ago and yes anyone can call a cease fire and that guy should be reported. That is a serious safety violation and that guy needs an attitude adjustment regarding the range rules. I don't know the specifics of the range rules at AGC, but I'm willing to bet there is a mechanism to get the violator a few months vacation from the range.
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:04 AM #8
Wish I lived in America

Wish I lived in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronBlu View Post
I just went through the RSO training course not too long ago and yes anyone can call a cease fire and that guy should be reported. That is a serious safety violation and that guy needs an attitude adjustment regarding the range rules. I don't know the specifics of the range rules at AGC, but I'm willing to bet there is a mechanism to get the violator a few months vacation from the range.
As a member of MSI's AGC safety committee, you are correct except that it was such a serious infraction his badge would have been pulled at the AGC. He'd have to convince his club to appeal on his behalf to the AGC leadership for him.

I doubt MSI would as I certainly wouldn't support it being returned.
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:04 AM #9
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

If he Legitimately didn't hear the command I wouldn't sweat it to bad, but as soon as he told me I could wait, I would have called the RSO and grabbed a bag of popcorn.
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:06 AM #10
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake4U View Post
As a member of MSI's AGC safety committee, you are correct except that it was such a serious infraction his badge would have been pulled at the AGC. He'd have to convince his club to appeal on his behalf to the AGC leadership for him.

I doubt MSI would as I certainly wouldn't support it being returned.
Assuming it went down the way the OP described, I would be the second "Nay" from MSI.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety