Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 15th, 2020, 04:00 PM #1

Glock 42 Sight Adjustment

My wife's got a new Glock 42.

With the non-availability of .380 ACP ammunition, my first challenge was to work up a hand load that would cycle the gun reliably. Turned out it needs to be a pretty-hot load, near the top end of the recommendations. (For reference, 3.3 grains of HP-38 with a 100-gn FMJ bullet.)

Next challenge was, at 5 yards she was consistently hitting about 3" left and about an inch low. "OK, dear,", I said, "you're obviously pushing the trigger to the left and anticipating the recoil." So I tried it, and was hitting ... 3" left and an inch low.

"OK, I'm obviously pushing the trigger left and anticipating." So I tried it sitting supported on a shooting table, paying close attention to my trigger pull. Same thing.

So I got an inexpensive sight tool that would work with the G42 (an NcStar VISM -- works real well). In order to hit centered for windage, I had to push the rear sight this far to the right:

That's at the very edge of the dovetail. I've never had to adjust a handgun sight this far, and it just looks...weird. Is this cause for concern? Or could something else be out-of-whack with the gun?

I'm getting really good groups otherwise.

Not sure what I can do about the elevation error, but we can live with that...

*edit* Looking through some YouTube videos, I'm seeing some Glock rear sight pushed this far or more. Here's a Glock 36 that's a "tack driver" now:

And here's a Glock that has the rear sight pushed even farther to the left, a bit beyond the dovetail -- I assume adjusted that way:

So maybe this isn't that unusual...?
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2020, 04:26 PM #2
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

If it's hitting where you aim, problem solved, I'd say.
Old November 15th, 2020, 04:56 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
If it's hitting where you aim, problem solved, I'd say.
OK. Thanks. It's just...weird. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any possibility...keeping trigger pull in mind...
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:03 PM #4
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

People are too quick to adjust sights.
The first step to troubleshoot bad groups is to troubleshoot your grip.
No one looks at their grip. Just because it feels right, doesn't mean it is.

When someone wants to adjust their sights, I ask them if they have their grip perfected.

All that said, why are you trying perfect groups with a small pistol meant for center mass shots?

You want to make many different holes instead of trying to make one larger hole. The first bullet to enter causes the most damage. Every shot landed should be "the first bullet".
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:45 PM #5
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
OK. Thanks. It's just...weird. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any possibility...keeping trigger pull in mind...
Someone needs to simply just shoot the pistol, without aiming, to get used to recoil. Once that hurdle is out of the way, attention can be paid to other things, grip, sight alignment, etc...

Don't read those stupid shot charts.
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:50 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
People are too quick to adjust sights.
The first step to troubleshoot bad groups is to troubleshoot your grip.
No one looks at their grip.
Yup, I'm aware of possible grip issues with a small, narrow frame/grip like the G42's. It is narrow, but I'm used to that with other single-stack guns. Besides, the solid careful supported shooting I was doing should have taken care of that...

Quote:
All that said, why are you trying perfect groups with a small pistol meant for center mass shots?
Good point. But are you saying a group that's consistently 4" off-center at 5 yards is OK? I just think a spread should be centered on point-of-aim, at least as far as windage. If point-of-impact averages 4" to the side, then some shots in a series under stress are that much more likely to miss completely...
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:17 PM #7
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Yup, I'm aware of possible grip issues with a small, narrow frame/grip like the G42's. It is narrow, but I'm used to that with other single-stack guns. Besides, the solid careful supported shooting I was doing should have taken care of that...

Good point. But are you saying a group that's consistently 4" off-center at 5 yards is OK? I just think a spread should be centered on point-of-aim, at least as far as windage. If point-of-impact averages 4" to the side, then some shots in a series under stress are that much more likely to miss completely...
No. But I am going with that most likely your reloads are the issue.
When it comes to these things, I also think loading 1 round at a time is essential to diagnostics. People tend to shoot too fast with full mags.
But I also can't believe that sights coming from the factory are that way off. My 43x shot a little left, but when I changed the sights, it's fine. I didn't even bother with trying to adjust the factory sights. Too much wasted work.

I've had crappy wolf stuff waaay off at 7 yards. Crazy.
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:32 PM #8

Quote:
No. But I am going with that most likely your reloads are the issue.
If my reloads were the problem, then I'd be having wild shot groups. My reloads were grouping very well. Five-round two-inch groups at five yards supported.

Quote:
When it comes to these things, I also think loading 1 round at a time is essential to diagnostics. People tend to shoot too fast with full mags.
Hard to do shot groups with one round in the magazine... And I was making very slow, deliberate supported shots, paying close attention to trigger pull -- taking up the slack first.

Quote:
But I also can't believe that sights coming from the factory are that way off.
I agree. That would be a lot of offset, barrel axis vs. slide.

Quote:
My 43x shot a little left, but when I changed the sights, it's fine. I didn't even bother with trying to adjust the factory sights. Too much wasted work.
Again, I agree the stock Glock plastic sights are crap, though they shouldn't be that much off. But I've got a set of Truglo TFO sights coming tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I've had crappy wolf stuff waaay off at 7 yards. Crazy.
Well, the only thing Wolf or Tulammo touches is my SKS.
Old November 15th, 2020, 08:38 PM #9

Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07

Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07
I have owned 8 Glocks over the years and I have never had to do that.

Normally people just aren't shooting properly and every Glock I've ever owned has been capable of stacking them in a hole at 25 ft or headshots at 25 yards. But like Blaster said that shouldn't necessarily be the goal. It means your fundamentals are good but as far as practical shooting that isn't really necessary.

That's kind of been my problem. I've put many many thousands of rounds through my handguns over the years but 85 to 90% of them have been on the flat static range. It's better than nothing but getting out somewhere where you can do holster work, shoot steel, shoot and move, etc, is great. I've started to go to Delmarva more and do that and fix some of the bad habits I learned on a flat range.

A lot of times shooters that say, "Hey guys I can shoot 1 hole at 25 feet with my Glock 19 but with my glock 43 I can't. I'm used to shooting Glocks so it must be the sights." No, the grip on a g19 is way different than a g43. That's an adjustment even if you are used to shooting Glocks.

Maybe try again on a different day, with different ammo, and maybe let a different shooter try. It is possible the factory sights could be that far off but it's unlikely.
Old November 15th, 2020, 08:47 PM #10
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post
I have owned 8 Glocks over the years and I have never had to do that.

Normally people just aren't shooting properly and every Glock I've ever owned has been capable of stacking them in a hole at 25 ft or headshots at 25 yards. But like Blaster said that shouldn't necessarily be the goal. It means your fundamentals are good but as far as practical shooting that isn't really necessary.

That's kind of been my problem. I've put many many thousands of rounds through my handguns over the years but 85 to 90% of them have been on the flat static range. It's better than nothing but getting out somewhere where you can do holster work, shoot steel, shoot and move, etc, is great. I've started to go to Delmarva more and do that and fix some of the bad habits I learned on a flat range.

A lot of times shooters that say, "Hey guys I can shoot 1 hole at 25 feet with my Glock 19 but with my glock 43 I can't. I'm used to shooting Glocks so it must be the sights." No, the grip on a g19 is way different than a g43. That's an adjustment even if you are used to shooting Glocks.

Maybe try again on a different day, with different ammo, and maybe let a different shooter try. It is possible the factory sights could be that far off but it's unlikely.
I have a p80 g32 that was hitting low and left. Even after jacking the rear sight all the way over to the right, I still couldn't hit point of aim.
I later asked Blaster to try it. It was dead on, with the rear sight still jacked way over to the right.
Every gun is different. I only carry that gun as bear protection. I know I can hit something chewing on me.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns