Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 19th, 2020, 06:17 PM #21
Hole in the Wall Tom

Hole in the Wall Tom

Not really close but Flat Broke Shooters an IP here has women's classes. One tomorrow and one in December. Might be worth a drive. https://flatbrokeshootersllc.com

"A wise man's mind will change, a fool's never will" Bobby Osborne
hitwtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:29 PM #22

Sorry but I disagree with "Women only" type classes except for the "Women in target" seminar from the NRA. The reason I'm ok with it is because it is VERY basic and an introduction to hopefully get people interested in more training.

No matter the gender of the instructor or student, professional is professional and unprofessional is unprofessional. Classes and training should be taken because of the value of the instruction and instructor, not their gender. Check around and find good training, take it with a friend if you'll feel better.

Lately the majority of my students have been female for basic courses like HQL. I'm glad to see this and happy to help them learn.

TD
miles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2020, 02:59 AM #23

A Good Instructor is broadly knowledgeable with a multitude of techniques , and how to teach students with a variety of physical sizes and upper body strength levels .

There is no inherent difference between Male shooting and female shooting , other than statistical averages of size and hand & arm strength , and lots of overlap .

That said , this is still a semi- free , semi- capitalist country . There is indeed a customer demand for Women orientated firearms instruction , either all female students , or female instructors . ( Not sure how female instructors with mixed students fall in the mix ).

If there's a demand , there will be resources flowing to meet it , more power to them, Economics 101 . If particular Instructors/ training venues can attract more clients by offering tailored sessions , Economics 101 . If availability of Women themed classes attract clients that otherwise would not have sought training , double Win- Win .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2020, 10:35 AM #24

There are a LOT of women that aren't terribly comfortable around men for whatever reason. Especially with the current requirement of very small class sizes. Being nervous already, and then having an instructor they may not be as comfortable with, is not a good combination. Add in other men in the class trying to show off. (It happens) and it can be obnoxious. There's a market for all women's classes, and they have been successful. This woman doesn't need it mansplained to her why she shouldn't want an all woman class. I'm proficient and still have men sometimes act some kind of way around me shooting. I'm also comfortable around pretty much everyone, and men still sometimes act embarrassing (to themselves) around women shooters. Women tend to be more supportive of each other in these situations. There are a number of women specific things when it comes to firearms. Fit and recoil being the big 2.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:04 AM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovotny View Post
There are a LOT of women that aren't terribly comfortable around men for whatever reason. Especially with the current requirement of very small class sizes. Being nervous already, and then having an instructor they may not be as comfortable with, is not a good combination. Add in other men in the class trying to show off. (It happens) and it can be obnoxious. There's a market for all women's classes, and they have been successful. This woman doesn't need it mansplained to her why she shouldn't want an all woman class. I'm proficient and still have men sometimes act some kind of way around me shooting. I'm also comfortable around pretty much everyone, and men still sometimes act embarrassing (to themselves) around women shooters. Women tend to be more supportive of each other in these situations. There are a number of women specific things when it comes to firearms. Fit and recoil being the big 2.
This ⬆⬆⬆. All day long. She ain't wrong.

Want the women in your life able to protect themselves? Mothers? Daughters? Wives?

Encourage them to get the training they themselves want, from whomever they themselves want, and with the firearm they themselves want. So long as all are of known good quality.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2020, 01:00 PM #26

I'm not a female ,and nobody can read their minds . But I have been told by instructor who do both mixed and female only classes that their impressions are that it is more often a matter of the fellow students , than the instructor(s) per se .

Everyone's mileage may vary of course , and viva la free market .
Old November 20th, 2020, 01:10 PM #27
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMoov View Post
The Damascus Izaak Walton frequently has training classes focused on women. I checked the calendar and nothing for the rest of the year, but maybe something for next year?
Both my wife and daughter have taken this course. It's NRA certified and qualifies as HQL training.
Old November 21st, 2020, 05:45 PM #28
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovotny View Post
But an all woman class with a male instructor is cool, right? I think this is where it was going. Not talking mixed class. And many guys are jack hats when they get around women and they think they can shoot. All the sudden it becomes a competition instead of learning.

And recoil management is the same for a woman as it is for a man.
Old November 21st, 2020, 05:51 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
But an all woman class with a male instructor is cool, right? I think this is where it was going. Not talking mixed class. And many guys are jack hats when they get around women and they think they can shoot. All the sudden it becomes a competition instead of learning.

And recoil management is the same for a woman as it is for a man.
For some women it is, but for some it's not, especially ones who may be arming themselves because of domestic violence.
Old November 21st, 2020, 09:25 PM #30

Recoil management different because of recent injuries , or their wishing to avoid all males ?

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety